Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)
  • Should Cannabis be legalised?
  • D0NK

We could use biscuits as lures as well I imagine

nice edit, was just about to suggest mars bars 🙂

Torminalis
    Free Member

Indeed, you could bulk buy cake to catch either.

Stoner
    Free Member

rum cake and I’m yours.

The DNA thing was not necessarily pitched at the canabis users. Im thinking more at the fringe of intoxicants, those with unknown pathways and long term implications. Whatever the method I just think that a complete free-for-all is not the ideal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yossarian
    Free Member

By insisting on a database you just create another underground demand.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We just need to wait till 2014 as it’s pretty much going to be a free for all, in Colorado of all places. There was an interesting documentary on the Beeb a week or so ago. I’m all for legalisation too but I’m not quite sure we’re prepared for the bedding-in period once a free for all was introduced.

D0NK

What you classing as a FFA? Our current ability to buy enough booze to drink yourself and all your mates to death at asda by anyone looking over 21, would be considered by some to be a bit much already.

I’d be hoping for age restrictions and sensible if you’re already totally trolleyed no one will sell you more mind bending substances rules.

Fwiw most of the people I know who don’t take drugs say they wouldn’t if legal anyway. Those who do take em would at last know how much and what (for once!) they were taking.

Stoner
    Free Member

lets go back a bit then.

Are we saying that Drug A goes from being proscribed to being one that is available to the public? If so are we to make a distinction between a) a casual user b) a non-user c) an “addict” d) a medicinal user e) Any other? If we dont make a distinction is it then OK that there’s no hurdle to a new user?

user-removed
    Free Member

Binners for PM. Regulation must be the way forward.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why not have a license to grow your own.. say £100/ year

joefm

Illegal = no regulation.

How many deaths are related to bad pills? I’m sure there’s logic in thinking that if the safer drugs are more available there would be less nasty stuff like crack and heroin. Not to mention an associated drop in crime/dealers

I don’t take drugs. But don’t care if people do (recreational only)

As for pot. No worse than alcohol

Northwind

scratch – Member

I’d rather the driver of the car approaching at 60mph from the rear were in full control thanks

Ah yes- because alcohol is legal, and therefore every driver is drunk. You get an absolute wtf for this post tbh.

Course it should be legalised. Save money on enforcement, stop criminalising otherwise law abiding people, take money out of drug dealers’ pockets, remove the possible escalation from smokers having to buy from dealers, make it easier for people with a problem to seek help, and properly record and document health impacts, raise tax. The negatives- somewhat increased health risk due to ease of access- are trivial in comparison

The most dangerous thing in a joint is the tobacco, that’s the sort of situation that just can’t make sense if you’re not stoned.

slackalice
    Free Member

So where are the puritanical middle class masses who demand current political policies include a ‘war on drugs’?

Clearly not on STW, despite the Audi count 😉

Has there been a similar topic on mumsnet? Anyone know the concensus there?

I’ve been a long time advocate of the approach so eloquently made by Binners. For all the same reasons. What national debt? The annual tax revenue alone would enable lots more HS rail links. Or possibly hospitals, but keeping too many people alive will drain the coffers.

Unfortunately, I feel that political policy is derived from the point above, made by rudebwoy. Can’t have the masses enjoying themselves, they might see through the ruse and not continue to fund the political gravy train. Better to give the populous an extra dose of fear…. chemical weapons and terrorists anyone?

mtbfix

Another reason to move to Colorado or California.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Are we saying that Drug A goes from being proscribed to being one that is available to the public? If so are we to make a distinction between a) a casual user b) a non-user c) an “addict” d) a medicinal user e) Any other? If we dont make a distinction is it then OK that there’s no hurdle to a new user?

No distinction, if you are over 18, you are an adult and have the right to imbibe whatever you choose, as long as you are harming no one else. If you become a nuisance, you will be identified and moved onto programmes much the same way as alcoholics are. There is no hurdle to the user, but there isn’t currently. I could have bought pretty much anything I wanted as a teenager and did, the legal status only served to criminalise me and reduce the likelihood of my seeking help if I needed it.

People are going to get wasted no matter what rules you try and impose on them. I say let ’em get on with it and we can pick up the pieces using the colossal amount of tax revenue that would result. Prison costs would drop, law enforcement costs would drop, cross border travel would become easier, many youth issues would disappear, schools could be honest, stoners could chill out even more and the world would be a better place.

It is much easier to get a heroin addict into the system and recovery if he isn’t fearful for his liberty, or indeed their right to imbibe moderately in the future if they choose.

scratch
    Free Member

Ah yes- because alcohol is legal, and therefore every driver is drunk. You get an absolute wtf for this post tbh.

It’d make more sense to compare it with smoking behind the wheel no?
    Comparing smoking a ciggie to a spliff, there’s no difference in concentration level?

I’m not anti at all, I just passed a guy sat behind a wheel having a toke yesterday and was glad I wasnt on the commute home when he passed is all, maybe that’s way other the top, I dunno.

RustySpanner

He wouldn’t have passed anyone.

He would have driven home at 23mph with his nose half an inch from the windscreen.

D0NK

Are we saying that Drug A goes from being proscribed to being one that is available to the public?

id assumed we were discussing recreational drugs, interesting point, thing is would there be much of a market for medicinal drugs? Presumably most stuff is pricey and won’t have much of a fun effect so not much of an issue. I guess things like antibiotics could cause problems, whenever someone gets a cold they start necking them and we end up with bugs resistant to all of them.

So are we saying only legalise fun drugs? And who gets to decide and does it negate the point of legalisation?

Stoner
    Free Member

torminalis – completely get your point, but Im going to disagree. I think there should be some hurdle. It neednt be a “criminalising” one, but there should be something to make the decision to buy a controlled drug a little more involved than popping to the shops, just because “Im an adult and should have control over my own destiny”.

It neednt be much – think of the legislation limiting volume of paracetamol purchases or even the volume in which alcohol is sold or % vol is permitted.

slackalice
    Free Member

Definitely just the fun drugs.

The one’s that contain “ine” at the end of their names would be a good place to start.

Stoner
    Free Member

Donk, sorry, I think you misunderstood the word I used:

Proscribed

not

Prescribed.

parkesie
    Free Member

Off to buy shares in marryland cookies just in case it is legalised.

Torminalis
    Free Member

think of the legislation limiting volume of paracetamol purchases or even the volume in which alcohol is sold or % vol is permitted

These are tweaks to legalised items. At the end of the day you have to decide whether a person should be able to go to a pharmacy, with a special queue for the druggies, and hand over cash in exchange for a nice bag of crack, or whether they are going to have to go to an untaxed, unlicensed, criminal dealer.

If I liked smoking grass I would have no problem getting it when I wanted to. If it is legalised it will probably become more expensive and I’d have to fend off nutters who want my DNA. 😀

However, this is a price I would be prepared to pay in exchange for the range of positive social effects I think that full legalisation of everything would accomplish.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He would have driven home at 23mph with his nose half an inch from the windscreen.thinking every single car light behind was a cop car

Its not big or clever and should be illegal [ I know it is ]

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The fact the more difficult question to answer is why shouldn’t it be legalised sort of says it all really.

Make booze and fags illegal and legalise cannabis.

mildred

As above, alcohol **** people up a lot more than cannabis.

Probably more to do with the relative availability than its narcotic effect.

Torminalis
    Free Member

wittonweavers
    Free Member

8 years ago my boy was sectioned and taken into a mental ward with schizophrenia triggered by smoking cannabis. It was the worst time of our lives. Words cannot describe the hell.

Smoke it if you want to, bad things only happen to other people…

Torminalis
    Free Member

8 years ago my boy was sectioned and taken into a mental ward with schizophrenia triggered by smoking cannabis. It was the worst time of our lives. Words cannot describe the hell.

2 months ago the same thing happened to a very close member of my family triggered by a line of cocaine. I know that hell very well indeed.

However, people lose the plot for lots of reasons. That doesn’t mean we should criminalise responsible adults who partake in harmless recreational activities. Every person has to decidew what is and is not harmless for them and help should be available if they get it wrong. The vast vast majority don’t get it wrong.

cinnamon_girl

Well, there’s now 3 of us that say ‘no’.

wittonweavers – how is your son now? Must have been a dreadful experience for your family.

I’ve seen too many horrible things happen to people I’ve known. Please don’t tell me that smoking cannabis doesn’t lead on to other drugs. It can.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I’ve seen too many horrible things happen to people I’ve known.

Was it better that they were a criminal as well as ill?

Hi btw! x

Junkyard
    Free Member

and alcohol can lead to homlessness, no one is saying it is risk free.

8 years ago my boy was sectioned and taken into a mental ward with schizophrenia triggered by smoking cannabis

Only ever seen it for amphetamine and the problem is we dont know what triggered what. Did they take drugs due to psychosis or did it cause it?

I dont mean to debate your son your case i mean in general
    As above it is unlikely to help anyone with their mental well being but i am not sure it always “causes” it either.

It can

So can fags and booze- very few [ practically none]drug users and /or addicts have never had a drink but again i doubt it is casual

user-removed
    Free Member

If you want free methadone, you can sign up for it and Bob’s your uncle. But the guys I knew who were on the programme saw it as a top up to their habits, rather than a replacement. It’s not uncommon for addicts to drink their dose in the chemists, come out and vom it up for sale to a waiting client ( sounds insane but it happens, and not infrequently ).

One side effect of having to register for free, legal drugs, is that it takes all the fun / romance out of taking it. This is a good thing. A curious 15 year old is far less likely to progress on to the hard stuff if it means visits to the GP followed by queing up with hardened addicts at a clinic.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

@Torminalis I’m sorry to hear that a friend of yours has recently experienced problems. The brutal reality is, that if this was 2 months ago, then sadly it is unlikely that you and his family have even touched the tip of the iceberg.

@cinnamon_girl my son is good. “Great” in comparison but will be forever scarred. I don’t necessarily believe that cannabis is a pre-cursor for other drugs. It can be of course, but that’s about the individual in the same way as alcohol and cigarettes.

The way i see it now is that the human brain is an intensely complex organ, with millions of electrical pulse which determine the way we operate. Alcohol and cigarettes are addictive, which means that we indulge in more than we should which is destructive. Drugs on the other hand, whilst addictive, also destroy and put out brains just slightly out of kilter. The electrical impulses no longer match up quite as they should and everything falls apart.

No one that hasn’t experienced it could possibly understand the real effects of cannabis. Without that understanding i cant blame anyone for believing it to be harmless fun.

iolo
    Free Member

I smoked heavily 20 years ago. Really messed my head for a bit. I decided to stop.
    Should it be legal? Probably but has no room in the workplace.
    Most of the larger firms have mandatory no drug and alcohol policy.
    This should be kept even if legal and any failure in urine/blood/whatever should be dealt with.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Only ever seen it for amphetamine and the problem is we dont know what triggered what. Did they take drugs due to psychosis or did it cause it?

Chicken and egg i guess. On balance I believe that he experimented as a teenager as did all his mates and that the psychosis was triggered by the cannabis. They say that the pyschosis is in all of us, just waiting for a trigger so its probably that way around. But who knows?

iolo
    Free Member

I should add that I suffer from Biploar.
    I have not worked for nearly 3 years when it materialised.I was a manager in an international construction company.
    Was cannabis and other drugs a factor in me becoming ill and requiring weekly visits to the psychiatric unit ?
    I’ll never know.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I’m sorry to hear that a friend of yours has recently experienced problems. The brutal reality is, that if this was 2 months ago, then sadly it is unlikely that you and his family have even touched the tip of the iceberg.

It is my brother. I too am sorry to hear that your son had problems, it seems to be incredibly common these days and when we looked back, almost his entire peer group had at some point had some problems. Some of them were not drug related, some were. I hope that he is on the mend, I sense it will be a long road to recovery but it has been acute thus far and we hope it will not become a full blown diagnosis of schizophrenia.

The thing is, he knows that drugs don’t have a positive effect on him, he gives it a go anyway sometimes because he is an optimistic fool. It isn’t the drugs, it is him.

I know loads of well adjusted, middle class smokers who enjoy a smoke every now and then, don’t have any trouble going to work in the mornings and avoid drunken people like the plague. Alcohol triggers loads of psychological problems too…

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I think I’d just like to place on record the fact that I’m not judgmental of others. Despite the horrific experiences that my family and i have experienced, I have no issue with whether or not it is legalised. Its just not for me and I would prefer my family and friends not to be involved with it. Plenty of my work colleagues and acquaintences dabble and i leave them to it.

Drugs are frowned upon in my industry (construction) and testing is fairly common – as is failing, more often as a result of drugs rather than drink. It may be my age, but i cant help but think that drink driving is far more frowned upon than drug driving.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve seen too many horrible things happen to people I’ve known. Please don’t tell me that smoking cannabis doesn’t lead on to other drugs. It can.

I would argue that alcohol is the main drug that leads on to other drugs.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I would tend to agree grum.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Should Cannabis be legalised?’ is closed to new replies.