Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Should Cannabis be legalised?
  • ski
    Free Member

The only reason I ask, at work today, there seemed to be quite a even split, for and against.

Quite a few for, were not smokers either.

Some interesting points were raised by both sides too.

Just wondered what STW clan opinion is on this subject?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No.

yossarian
    Free Member

Yes of course it should.

If it isn’t legalised then alcohol and tobacco should join as class c’s.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Yes.

retro83
    Free Member

Yes, get it regulated, taxed and available to over 18s. People are going to smoke it anyway regardless of legality and the health concerns are at worst uncertain.

kimbers

yes

lightman
    Free Member

As above, alcohol **** people up a lot more than cannabis.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

absolute no brainer– Yes

scratch
    Free Member

I’d rather the driver of the car approaching at 60mph from the rear were in full control thanks

D0NK

Yes.
    Next

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t smoke it as it causes me to hide under the bed with my tin foil hat on.. And I suffered with full blown psychosis in my teens.. However, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for society or that smokers should be criminalised..
    And most of all, I don’t believe that folk that have never inhaled have any right to comment, much less legislate

binners

Everything should be legalised. Then spend the billions pointlessly spunked away on the completely ineffectual ‘war on drugs’ on education, and counselling and rehab services, remove the criminal element from the supply chain, then tax it like beer and fags, and free the police to work on proper crimes instead of this ridiculous charade

D0NK

Some tangent you’ve shot off at there scratch.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If cigarettes and alcohol are acceptable then it seems odd that cannabis isn’t.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What lightman said.

And as time goes by the more I wonder if binners idea might actually be for the best, overall.

Marin
    Free Member

Yes. Its already way beyond the police to make any real impact on its availability. It could raise some taxes for the country and stop some very nasty criminal types from becoming very rich and then moving into legitimate business with their nasty attitudes. Fags and booze are doing way more harm.

bearnecessities

Edit: scrap all of that. I need more informed opinion.

Stoner
    Free Member

all drugs should be legalised, classified, priced, taxed and when necessary prescribed. Users should be registered though, possibly even have their DNA taken and put on file.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I’d rather the driver of the car approaching at 60mph from the rear were in full control thanks

when i used to drive ‘stoned’ i was always very slow–think you may have your drugs mixed up there scratch…

dannybgoode

Its interesting how the government sets up and funds a drug advisory board, appoints some pretty smart scientists, doctors etc to sit on that board and then ignores all its recommendations as they do not fit in with policy.

Yes, they should legalise it along with a number of other drugs.

I do not know one person who has not taken drugs or not been able to access drugs because they are illegal.

I don’t know anyone who does not take drugs who would do so if they were made legal.

The whole argument that weed leads to heroin is akin to saying eating grapes leads to being an alcoholic.

Get it properly regulated and legalised and save a fortune in policing that is never ever going to win the war on drugs.

Cheers

Danny B

nacho
    Free Member

Absolutely yes. But there should also be more research into it and how it affects the mind so people are more aware of the choices they are making. Criminalising otherwise “normal” members of society is wrong and more police time and resources would be freed up to tackle real crime. It would also reduce crime (less dealers) and raise extra taxes which I guess our gov’t needs!
    I think I might be with binners – legalise it all – as the war on drugs doesn’t seem to be working very well. However looking at how the legal drugs affect society (Saturday night most town centres 11pm-1am anyone?) I think that is a big debate as well

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Hell yes.
    Can’t be bothered to put forward a reasoned arguement though. 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I used to smoke bucket loads of the stuff and never did me any harm. Sort of.

There is a reason its called dope.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Users should be registered though, possibly even have their DNA taken and put on file.

LOLZ 🙄

andyparle
    Free Member

No, but only because the goverment will massively tax it and the tobbaco industry will end up controlling it and the end result will be shit weed for a high cost.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like Nick Davies take on it:
    http://www.nickdavies.net/category/drugs/

Junkyard
    Free Member

I used to drugs education in schools
    Once you look at the death figures the two legal ones [ fags and booze] kill more [ and per user] than any of the illegal ones

Its impossible to explain the rationale behind our current drugs laws as they currently stand to anyone if you look at the real risks. They make no sense at all. I gave up teaching it tbh as even kids can see the laws are daft

PS if you are over 40 there is a pretty high risk of a heart attack from mixing cocaine and alcohol

Glue/solvent sniffing is pretty close to playing russian roulette

Prohibition clearly does not work and the least harm option is to regulate however that is implemented

rogerthecat
    Free Member

+1 Binners. Word perfect.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Of course it should. How alcohol is legal but cannabis / skunk isn’t amazes me.

I’ve told my daughters (11 and13) that if in a few years they end up hanging round the park with their mates as a lot of teenagers do, whilst I’d rather they just drank soft drinks and chatted, if it comes down to it I’d rather they smoke the occasional joint than neck cheap cider / vodka / whatever. My wife, who’s never smoked dope, has no problem with me telling them this.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binners’ idea might be ok if we were fighting a “war on drugs” but clearly he’s been watching too much American tv again.

Stoner
    Free Member

Torminalis – Im a libertarian, normally Id baulk at the idea of DNA registeres etc, but I think in the case of state supply of controlled substances (by definition) there ought to be a slightly more “involved” deterrent than pricing.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m with binners makes perfect sense and has been proved to work elsewhere.

http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/5582/louis-ck-on-marijuana

bearnecessities

I oddly like Binners take on it…and I rarely listen to anyone.

thegreatape
    Free Member

But that deterrent would create a different market opening to be exploited by today’s dealers, I would think.

D0NK

Stoner why the DNA register? are you suggesting that for booze and fags aswell?

RustySpanner

Legalised?
    It should be compulsory.

Junkyard
    Free Member

normally Id baulk at the idea of DNA registeres etc, but I think in the case of state supply of controlled substances (by definition) there ought to be a slightly more “involved” deterrent than pricing.

Coffee stoner?
    Lots of things are stimulants now sign up druggy

What about ill folk do we need there DNA

TBH i would assume trolling but its you but I am not getting any reason for this tbh

Torminalis
    Free Member

I do think the term ‘controlled drugs’ is hilarious. Far more people in the UK are killed by driving each year, than Cannabis. I’d wager infinitely more but there would be national outrage if you tried to DNA tag every driver.

The thing is, if you legalised most, if not all of the drugs, loads of the problems that are caused by drugs at the moment would go away. Associated crime, black market activity, criminalised youth would all pretty much disappear over night. Why bother DNA tagging people who at worst, have a health problem? Are we going to tag the fatties next? 😉

rudebwoy
    Free Member

these drug laws were introduced at the behest of the US in the early twentieth century– more about social control than owt else–once the working classes start enjoying themselves, its time to bring in the ban hammer–

Junkyard
    Free Member

both fatties and stoners should be pretty easy to catch though

WHAT DONK SAYS BELOW 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Should Cannabis be legalised?’ is closed to new replies.