Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Should Brexit be cross party?
  • pictonroad

Went out on the *gravel bike and as usual got into a few thought loops.

A recurring one was the futility of cramming party politics into the Brexit negotiations. The Labour Party and SNP (and, shudders, the purple lot) represent a lot of people who will be affected by the outcome for a generation or more.

Should the incumbent party not offer up a seat on the metaphorical table to representatives from other parties? It’s not like they have anything to lose.

This seems particularly pertinent given the obvious competence of Sir Kier Starmer?

Or is all this sensible talk and I should stop it now lest I start asking more questions?

Junkyard
    Free Member

It would have made sense but i can imagine all the other parties running away from the poisoned chalice very very quickly indeed whilst muttering its your **** mess you sort it out

It probably would have been prudent to form a committee for national unity to achieve but, given the lack of a clear objective form anyone on what Brexit means, I cannot see how that would have helped

perchypanther
    Free Member

Theresa usually seems quite cross. So do those Frenchy type dudes.

Not sure it’ll be much of a party to be honest.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

“Hey everyone who wants to help me carry this tonne bag of diorrhea and offal up this slippery embankment while French people hurl vomit at us?”

pictonroad

^ fair point.

😆

Actually, what’s the pay like?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Should the incumbent party not offer up a seat on the metaphorical table to representatives from other parties?

If that means I can have representation as a remainer, yes.

As it stands the 16 million of us who voted to remain have no voice. In a general election, if the candidate I voted for gets a seat, even if they’re not on the “winning” party, I then get representation. Hence the referendum was undemocratic in my opinion.

It’s like asking a room full of people who wants tea and who wants coffee, and then telling half the room “tough shit, the tea votes win by a fraction so you get tea”. No, worse than that. Less than half the room, because two thirds actually said they wanted nothing at all or said nothing, but tough, they’re all being given tea.

oldnpastit

Isn’t it like asking who wants coffee, and who wants something else? And since “something else” “won”, everyone gets a mixture of bleach and old chip fat.

si77

Best analogy ever^

pictonroad

Well, I suppose it sort of is now. 😕

Not in the positive way I was thinking though…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Should Brexit be cross party?’ is closed to new replies.