Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Should bike skills courses also teach common sense/trail etiquette?
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Not really a rant, as I’m feeling to chilled after a brilliant ride in the sun today, over 30 miles of peak district bridleway under my wheels including over 1500 m of ascent. That’s pretty good for me, so feeling happy, slightly sun burnt and tired. But on a sour note there were 3 noteworthy occasions when people on bikes* showed a worrying lack of common sense which could have resulted in a nasty accident.

1) Coming down “The beast” from hope cross, someone pushing up decided that the best place to stop and wait whilst I was coming down the trickier step was right in the middle of the line rather than up on the sides.

2) Coming down the Hagg farm decent, another individual decided that stopping to fix a puncture in the middle of the trail was the way forward, rather than up on one of the grassy banks on the side.

3) Coming down from Edale Cross towards Hayfield, when it’s fairly steep and loose, someone decided to carry on their merry way by setting off in front of me with less than 5 m of gap between us, causing me to brake sharply and nearly bin it to avoid going into the back of them as they tottered around clipping in and getting a pedal rhythm going

I’m prepared for people to say I’m being over sensitive, and I should be prepared to respond to other peoples actions etc, but these events would be easily avoided if the person actually stopped and thought what they were doing.

* Edited to add: I’m ignoring the numerous incidents with DoE kids and walkers 😀

bruneep

but what if you don’t ever go on a “skills course”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it’s riding a bike, not dinner at the ritz, f*** etiquette

deep_river
    Free Member

etiquette is what makes us british, and not french or german!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Everyone I’ve ever met on a bike out riding is a bell end.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, but look at every other etiquet thread started on here.

The climber has r.o.w
    The decender has r.o.w

The elite racer has r.o.w
    The weekend warrior has r.o.w

etc etc etc

It’s all very well bleeting on about it but who decides?

Should the OP have given the stoped rider room to restart, seems awfully rude and un-etiquetted chaseing him down and following him closely.

jedi

etiquette is common sense but common sense isn’t very common

brooess
    Free Member

What you’re wanting I’m afraid, is common sense.
    Which is the worst-named thing in life ever unfortunately. It’s not very common…
    When my mum was taught to drive her instructor told her to assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and to drive accordingly. Good advice which stands whether you’re driving, road riding or MTB IMHO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

did you actually try an explain this [why it was a bad choice] to any of the people who did this ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Should bike skills courses also teach common sense/trail etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.