Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Should a shiny new frame come undone on its first ride?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So i took out my shiny new nukeproof frame tonight and all bolts associated with the shock linkage came loose. Is this acceptable?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

simondbarnes

Did you buy it as just a frame? If so, surely you’d have checked all of the bolts when building it? If you bought it from a shop then they should have checked them when building and you’d be right to be a bit miffed if they hadn’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

It was built up by crc so I just wrongly assumed it was ready to ride. Genuinely could there be lasting damage?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Genuinely .Did it have any children’s eyes out? Was there pudding involved?

nuke

Not great but on a mail order bike i don’t think its unreasonable for a buyer to be expected to give the bolts a check before riding. Did it come with any instructions advising bolts should be checked before riding?

bruneep

It arrived ready to ride?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well, did it make any knocking sounds? Did anything fall off? Did the paint flake off anywhere? Was it built on a Friday and delivered just in time for a ride?

bensales
    Free Member

nuke – Member
    Not great but on a mail order bike i don’t think its unreasonable for a buyer to be expected to give the bolts a check before riding. Did it come with any instructions advising bolts should be checked before riding?

Absolutely not. I expect the supplying shop to have built it, PDI’d it, then done the minimum strip to box it for transport. You could forgive things like a stem being loose as they’re the remit of the user upon receiving the bike, but shock linkages should be right from the factory.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

shock linkages should be right from the factory.

This is correct.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The bike was “put together” by me as in bars on straighten the stem and that’s it! I have never had the torque wrench out and checked a new frames linkage settings before. I felt it had come loose when play was evident lifting it over a Stile. Personally I thought it was a bit shit to be fair!

mcnultycop

The OP reads like you bought a frame, but you actually bought a bike, yes?

If so then you have a right to be mildly annoyed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry will explain. My bike went back for the third time in 18 months due to failed bushings/bearings. They decided to completely upgrade the frame to the latest one. This meant removing parts from my old bike and placing on the new frame. All built up by their mechanics and returned to me as a built bike. Got it yesterday rode it tonight for the first time. Somewhat took the shine off it when I felt what I thought was play around the shock linkage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My bike went back for the third time in 18 months due to failed bushings/bearings. They decided to completely upgrade the frame to the latest one. This meant removing parts from my old bike and placing on the new frame. All built up by their mechanics and returned to me as a built bike.

I’m going to need to stock up on pitchforks.

ads678

I’d expect it to arrive in a state that you could ride it straight away. I wouldn’t expect to have to check linkage bolts on a new frame.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sorry will explain. My bike went back for the third time in 18 months due to failed bushings/bearings.

Remind me not to buy one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve been Mr nice on this one since the first fail. Don’t get me wrong they’ve been great but I’ve been without a bike for about 12 weeks as it’s gone back and forth. At this point I genuinely don’t know where I stand from a warranty point of view as I don’t even have the original bike anymore..

ade9933
    Free Member

CRC are supposed to check all their builds and this is their justification for bikes taking longer to ship than other products so contact them if you have an issue.

They have always been good to me.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d be annoyed too. Especially with all the other toing and froing. It prob wouldn’t have done any damage in your first ride though. Annoying but fixable though, right? 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

is basically what has happened that you have had to tighten some bolts?

Ignoring the other two frames being crap.

cookeaa

Ooooh another slow reveal thread…

I like these ones because the OP is always looking to get indignant from the outset, based primarily on the facts they choose to omit from the first few posts, and the various condescending, rude and assumption laden responses they will doubtless receive.

i.e. Following a year and a half long lesson on the value of checking bolts are done up, the OP didn’t bother to check some bolts were done up… So it’s all the fault of a warehouse picker in Northern Ireland, apparently…

Nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Somewhere it will say check all bolts before every ride… Personally if it had just come out the box the 10 Mon job of popping an Allen Key I to the bolts and checking them would be done when sorting out bars etc.
    It’s not great service but never assume things are tight and done up.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Well as such they were “tight” as in there was zero play when I set off. They have worked loose whilst riding. They were tightened mid ride and remedied then worked loose again.
    As for you cockaa the first bikes bolts never came loose the bushings/bearings just wore quickly as I stated in the above post.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tight as in bolts checked or not?
    Any loctite on the threads?
    If not they could have been tight when the left the workshop(and they were when you got them) but nothing retaining them. How would CRC know they were going to come undone?

rOcKeTdOg

Well as such they were “tight” as in there was zero play when I set off. They have worked loose whilst riding. They were tightened mid ride and remedied then worked loose again

Not really the CRC builders faultbthen, more the manufacturer’s crap design/parts selection. If they’ve come loose & needed to be tightened over and over there’s clearly more of an issue than a dodgy build. I’d be looking for my £ back

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hence my op.
    I did not check their tightness pre ride.
    There was zero “play” pre ride.
    They came loose during ride.
    I tightened the loose ones mid ride.
    Another came loose 10 mins later.
    Should they all have loctite on when assembled in the factory not the warehouse.
    Surely that’s the case as there’s no way that’s in a bike shops remit to strip every linkage bolt and loctite them up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Should they all have loctite on when assembled in the factory not the warehouse.
    Surely that’s the case as there’s no way that’s in a bike shops remit to strip every linkage bolt and loctite them up.

Frame – should be done in the factory, loctite would be frame builder preference depending on the assembly.
    Bike shop to check tightness pre delivery.
    You Check before riding – never assume everything is as it should be – I have to take the bars off to fly, probably once every 5 times I forget that I did the stem face plate up enough to hold it and I was going to sort the position out when I sat on the bike only to spin the bars rolling out of the car park.

The bit you are missing in what CRC said when you called them up to discuss it….

wrightyson
    Free Member

Emailed crc this morning. Which I feel incredibly guilty about as it’s been great service replacing the entire frame but I can’t stand to be without the bike any longer.
    I’ll happily put my hands up and say I certainly didn’t check the linkage bolts for torque but I genuinely genuinely never thought I’d need to on a brand new frame pre first ride.

andyrm
    Free Member

Not unusual for pivot and linkage bolts to loosen as a frame “settles in” – I’ve always done a quick “front to back” check on a first ride, checking every bolt, and if you read any decent long term review of an FS bike, you’ll probably find a reference to loctiting linkage/pivot bolts to prevent this.

So in summary, it’s not a problem, definitely not unusual, but above all else not anything to be annoyed about.

Little drop of blue locktite on each bolt thread this evening and it’ll be good to go for the weekend.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s all I wanted ^.
    Cheers.
    Loctite 242?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

As above, shouldn’t and does are 2 different things. I always expect a couple of shakedown rides where everything is checked and tightened while it settles and beds in, especially on a brand new frame. Linkage bolts are the prime suspect, and if one comes loose then I’d check all others…

A Transition video surfaced, then vanished, recently showing a full strip, grease,
    loctite and torque of a box fresh frame. I suspect it vanished as it was too honest and lots of customers (rightly) expected this already.

242 getting harder to get hold of. 243 is the one, same strength, greater oil resistance.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Should a shiny new frame come undone on its first ride?’ is closed to new replies.