Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Shorts with padded liner, pants too? Yay or Nay?
  • jekkyl

Not the most crucial issue in the world, never feels quite comfy wearing pants+liner+shorts but feels a bit commando without pants, don’t want the old fella & his sisters getting a chill.
    So, pants yes or no?

JoB
    Free Member

no

that’s the whole point of the liner being padded

wwaswas

[edit] try pants over the padded liner if you feel particularly vulnerable without them.

JoB
    Free Member

he put it better

rhayter

Nay. Nay and a thousand times nay! If you’re getting a chill round the nethers, you’re not riding hard (and hot) enough. Eventually, you will chaff yourself silly if you stick with the pants.

rOcKeTdOg

Pants under lycra? Better off wearing the pants on your head so no one can tell who they are pointing & laughing at

Seriously, no. Must be so uncomfortable after even a short distance?

atlaz
    Free Member

I made the mistake of commuting to work with pants->bibs->”cycling jeans” a few weeks back. Result? Chafing and a crushed testicle. Experiment over. Back to commando for me.

GrahamS

Seems to be a recurring question:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/an-underware-questions

No way for me. Why spend money getting the comfiest padded anti-microbial breathable seam-free liner you can and then ruin it by slipping some wrinkly sweaty chafing cotton pants underneath?

jekkyl

Seemed a reasonable question to me & there’s no mention of pants on the little leaflet that came with the shorts. Tbh I rarely wear my baggies with the liner as it ends up too far back and just pisses me off.

chip
    Free Member

I recently bought some shorts with a detachable padded liner and I was not sure with way was the inside.
    What appears to be the outside has smooth seams through out but what would then be the inside had protruding seams where the material joins plus a thick pad sewn in with a thick seam surrounding it.

Made more sense to me that they would be better worn inside out as no seams to chaff as with my running grundies.
    As chaffing is no joke, having the genitalia of the singing detective.

plus-one

Nay

edlong
    Free Member

Nay

atlaz
    Free Member

chip – try them, you’ll be surprised.

GrahamS

Made more sense to me that they would be better worn inside out as no seams to chaff as with my running grundies.

chip: a decent chamois pad should look something like this:

That side goes directly against the skin as the shape suggests. No seams or stitching to chafe you.

drover
    Free Member

Nay

chip
    Free Member

Ok thanks, I will give them a go this weekend.

Does make me wonder why you buy a tiny seat and then wear a padded shorts, why not just have a comfy padded saddle.

There must be a reason.

z1ppy

Wear baggies (shorts) over the top of lycra shorts.. then think of them as the pants 😀

GrahamS

There must be a reason.

Because with a chamois the pads move around with your bum, so in theory you always get the correct padding under the correct bits and no padding in places you don’t want it (e.g. your barse/taint)

eckinspain
    Free Member

nay

eckinspain
    Free Member

double post

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Does make me wonder why you buy a tiny seat and then wear a padded shorts, why not just have a comfy padded saddle.

In your shorts the padding moves with you as you pedal, so no chafing. If the padding’s in the saddle it doesn’t.

twohats
    Free Member

We once had a guy in the shop with Lycra shorts over his jeans!!!!

Houns

Daffy Duck looks angry

Jamie
    Free Member
    allthepies
    Free Member

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

flashes
    Free Member

With the Charge saddle, baggies over Specialized padded pants are brill, was wearing Lycra under shorts for ages thinking padded pants didn’t look substantial enough, but I was wrong. Although Lycra shorts with Brook saddled road bikes are the doggies danglies……

johnhe

Nay.

dannyh
    Free Member

Controversial one here, but I do actually wear undercrackers under my padded shorts. Really ‘shiny’ type close fitting trunks. They are not noticeable and avoid that ‘re-using a big thick pad that I’ve ground my coit into for hour after hour’ feeling.

Nothing baggy or cotton, though. Chafe central!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Dannyh in his shiny shorts . . . .

trail_rat
    Free Member

questions like this from longstanding members make me wonder if troll or just not ridden a bike for very long.

punts under lycras just owie

Jamie
    Free Member

Nah, just a lot of never nudes.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7Q715LqPA[/video]

benp1

I only bother with wearing the inner shorts on longer rides (anything over a couple of hours on a mountain bike or an hour or so on a road bike)

Otherwise I tend to wear normal boxer shorts and then baggies over the top

For commuting I sometimes used to wear boxer shorts under long bib tights to save so much washing (and the need for even more kit). Never noticed anything detrimental to be honest

prawny

To be honest, for general trail riding I personally don’t feel feel the need for padded shorts.

For longer XC spins then yes but I often just wear normal shorts and boxers.

On the road padded shorts are much more critical, and I’ve only found one pair that I’m happy with in 5 years.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Shorts with padded liner, pants too? Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.