Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Shorts- Troy Lee Ace, or Endura Hummvee…?
  • iforwilliams
    Free Member

Weighing up a purchase of some new shorts and these two seem for get favourable reviews.

The TL are about £30 more than the Enduras, so just wondering if that extra cost is justifiable.

I don’t want a really baggy flappy cut- something with a “racier”, cut is preferable.

Anyone any experience of either?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like TLD stuff. I’ve never bought Endura stuff so can’t compare the two.

My TLD Ace shorts have a pretty sensible cut so dint flap about too much.

tomhoward

The tlds are called what they are for a reason, I really can’t fault them, they’re ace indeed.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Do TLD persist with Velcro flies? Mine are my laundry day pair for that reason alone.

Plus the bright colours don’t play well with the mud.

limkilde
    Free Member

The humvee are a bit crude/heavy and quite flappy ( my opinion), but Enduras Singletrack is absolutely ace.

jsync

Singletracks all the way….

hora
    Free Member

TLD seem to be so well made compared to Endura stuff sadly.

Humvees way a ton. Two tons when wet.

butterworth24
    Free Member

I got some troy lees after I ripped my humvees on my saddle while dismounting 8) and I haven’t looked back, they are very well made think I’d need a chainsaw to rip them (they are the moto ones and have a very baggy flappy cut though)

kcal

ligher shorts – see the Madison Zeniths – really really comfy, nothing fancy. £50.

fathomer

If you want to spend a bit less, the TLD Skylines are really nice.

Edit: The Zeniths are nice to.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Sounding like the TL’s are indeed living up to their hype!

What’s the insert like? Proper decent pad, or better off removing and wearing a pair of good road bibs underneath?

iforwilliams
    Free Member

I should add, these will be for longer XC and Trail riding

plus-one

I bought a pair of poc flow shorts .. Got them for £55 and they are superb quality with a lovely hard wearing finish ..

Good fit no flapping 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty impressed with the TLD liner in my Ace shorts, in fact they tend to be my preferred liners no mater what shorts I wear.

handyandy
    Free Member

Another vote for the TL Skylines. They are black (the only colour I want my shorts) and really good quality.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve got both the Humvee and the Ace..

Ace is a much better short IMHO, padded liner is also a lot better.
    Better fit but less pockets, not really an issue as I prefer to put everything in my camel back.
    Humvee doesn’t keep me from getting a sore ass.. Ace does..

If I’m out in the mud I will use the Humvee with the Ace liner. Humvee is black and ACE red, winter mud was a pig to remove from the ACE.
    Soaked them in napisan for a couple of days..did the trick.

nickc

does anyone actually use Humvees for cycling? Endura have some great shorts, but those ain’t!

iforwilliams
    Free Member

TL Ace’s just ordered.

Had a little trouble finding 34″ in black for a decent price, but managed via eBay for £72

Thanks for the feedback all.

mindmap3
    Free Member

No worries at all dude. Have CRC rune out of cheapy ones?

I bought the green which is very, very bright and getting mud out is a tight pain so they’re used for dry summer days only.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Arse. Just had a message from seller saying they no longer have them in-stock.

Yeah, all the other I see for sale are either too big or too small….

Anyone see any 34″ anywhere (in black)?

hora
    Free Member

How do they size up or down?

I’m gobsmacked at the pricing on shorts. Synthetic/plastic things at upto £80. Ridiculous.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Have you tried all of the online retailers?

How do they size up or down?

I’m gobsmacked at the pricing on shorts. Synthetic/plastic things at upto £80. Ridiculous

I’ve always found TLD to be a bit smaller than FOX, Sombrio and One Industries shorts. Jerseys seem about the same as others apart from One Industries ones which are HUGE.

Price wise yep – that’s what sales are for! I think hyrdro packs take the mick even mor ethough. Especially Acre.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I used to buy Endura as I thought they were good. Then I got some rockgardn and realised how uncomfortable Enduras are. Now I have some TLD shorts and I am not buying anything else. They are so nice and definitely worth the extra.

hora
    Free Member

If anyone comes across any TLD in size 36″ – yes please 🙂

I find singletrack Endura’s like stiff almost cardboard like.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They are so nice and definitely worth the extra.

Even if they’re a silly colour like mine 😆

Troy Lee Moto’s for me every time. They are a bit heavier construction, but that’s the reason I buy them – they are the only shorts I’ve found that don’t fall apart at the arse after a few wet, gritty Peak rides.

Not coming with a liner is a plus for me too, as I don’t like padded liners. They do have a couple of nifty little hip bone protection pads though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Even if they’re a silly colour like mine

Not so sure about that…

nealy
    Free Member

I got a pair of TLD ace shorts last year and they’re better than the Fox altitude shorts which I thought were perfect. Very comfy, the liner is very very comfy and they’re tough (unmarked even though my thigh looked like I’d been riding in speedos and fell off). Silly money really but they are brilliant, I was put off by the velcro fly but from day one it’s been fine and prefer it now. Got some china copy TLD moto which are much heavier but also good if you’re not on a pedally epic

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Cheers for that. Seems CRC has the 2014 Ace in stock for about the same price as those 2012’s. No idea what the difference is….

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I had some Humvees and I can’t say I’m crazy about them. The Fox stuff I have is a million times better cut and consequently loads more comfortable on the trails. The Rangers are good but my favourites are the Demo freerides. Super good and nice and light. They don’t have millions of pockets though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Shorts- Troy Lee Ace, or Endura Hummvee…?’ is closed to new replies.