• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shorts *like* an endura singletrack
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

Apparently endura now make their shorts out of tissue paper and sticky tape. Im after some shorts that were like the singletracks of old…. durable.. hard wearing…. deep back pockets, secured front pockets…. and not too lary.

Before i endure ‘death by web search’, does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

slowbloke
    Free Member

Wiggle still have the original humvee plus liner for about £25 or so.

joebristol

I’ve moved to endura humvee’s recently – I think the original version that may now have been superseded. I got one pair in an Evans sale a few months back and they’re wearing well – came off at Cwmcarn on the weekend and there isn’t a mark on them (unlike my leg which looks very much the worse for wear).

Just bought another pair from wiggle for £25 delivered – that’s outers and inners. Only thing I’d say is the liner padding isn’t massively thick compared to say my dhb Lycra cycling shorts.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

you can still get medium and large in the Endura Singletrack 2 (cyclestore)
    i’ve been wearing a pair for 2 years, fallen offmany times, the side pocket has been ripped at least a year, but they are still rocksolid.

ive got a spare pair tucked away, but cant see me needing them anytime soon :0)

nicko74

Apparently endura now make their shorts out of tissue paper and sticky tape.

Are they that bad? I’m on my second pair (2 years old, with the blue vents; previous pair was with the green vents) and they’re spectacularly good. I’ve torn a pocket though, and was thinking I should get another pair in the next few months.

Shame if they’re now crap, I wouldn’t know where to start looking for alternatives.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i think endura have realised their shorts are bomb proof and so new incarnations of shorts are getting the 4 way stretch material all over, rather than the singletrack ii shorts that has stretch were required but also hardwearing cordura and triple stitched.

it makes sense endura want to sell shorts so if they last a year rather than 2 they can increase profits.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Yeah, its the usual march to the bottom in action. In my case though it means I wont be buying them at all…. so bit of a foot/bullet interface issue. I’ll take a nosey at the hummvees, cheers!

Goldigger
    Free Member

You can have my pair for £25, I’ll make sure the sweat and pubes are washed off the liner 😀

ratherbeintobago

My Singletracks are on their last legs so this is a bit sad news.

Any other recommendations?

slowbloke
    Free Member

I’ve just remembered I have an unworn pair of Orange Bikes special edition Endura Singletrack shorts in XL. At this rate they will be worth a fortune 😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

Gone through three sets of Endura stuff and keep ripping holes in the seat or back pockets where they have them.

Had a impulse buy on TLD Skyline Ripstop shorts. Was concerned about lack of zips on pockets, but turns out they’re super deep and nothing falls out. They are however holding up very well, and also I’d swear they are self cleaning. Gone on muddy rides, they get mucky but ride again and the mud just dusts off and they look clean again (okay I do give them a wash occasionally for stink factor 😀 ). Endura shorts just seem to stay muddy until I wash them.

Quite impressed by them so far and more comfortable, not as tight a fit as Endura stuff can be. Bought them without liner and just use the liners I had with the Endura.

I paid a bit OTT for them considering they are available with a fair discount now, but that’s another thing as Endura seem to have a price fix or something as they are rarely discounted by much.

zer0cool
    Free Member

Cant go wrong with Madison I reckon, dont know what the direct camparison to the singletrack is, but they have good stuff.

mark90
    Free Member

Endura seem to have a price fix or something as they are rarely discounted by much.

20 quid for Hummvees with liner from Wiggle a few weeks back, now still only 25, and my single tracks were 30 quid.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maybe because they keep ripping 😉

Last pair I had were the Hummvee ones Wiggle have. Lasted a year. They were more like £50 when I got them and no where was cheaper.

Previous pair were the same model, again same rips. Got an older pair that’s a heavier material and lasted better but the pockets ripped.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Only when I bought the Tld skyline race shorts did I realise how mediocre endura stuff had become. That said I do have some original humvees from 15 years ago which aside from the usual popper issue perform commuting duties well.

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this as well. The qUality of all Endura stuff has dropped. Jackets & shorts.

Got a replacement jacket & 2 pairs of new humvee shorts fir Xmas & still prefer my original pair that must be 10 years old & have paint all over one leg (Mrs wore then while painting bathroom)

They just feel more substantial & higher quality.

iainc

Had some Madison ones but didn’t like the fit. Back to Endura MTR now – fit like a glove, light as can be, last a couple of years. Great kit IMO. A lot of folk have problems with Endura; I wear their kit 2 or 3 times a week, riding and coaching and the only failures I have had were a pair of gloves where the inners kept coming out and a soft shell that was warrantied when it lost some cuff stitching.

The MT500 long trousers are a complete revelation for cold soggy slow days…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

well… ordered and tried on some Madison Flux, which were lovely but didn’t quite fit as they were smaller than my other medium Madisons (Zenith, Addict) so maybe Madison have changed their sizing recently?

kcal

Would have suggested Madison too, they fit better than the Endura shorts I’ve tried – hopefully fit hasn’t altered!!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the sizing has. Not sure about the fit.

The 2016 and earlier were quite big for their stated size. I’m 34″ waist and mediums were spot on (Zenith, Addict, maybe all of them).

With the 2017 shorts medium are just too small on my waist, so I’m a now large.

kcal

I could never get Endura shorts to size right – not just that it was a lottery, but Small were too snug and Medium were in general just ridiculous (I’m a 30″ waist, dead-on).

Madison – the two shorts I’ve got in last couple of years are perfect Small fit and size. Addict (or Winter Storm) and Zenith I think off top of my head.

I tried a pair of Gore Elements shorts last month, they are again a very snug fit at Small. It really is hard to find stuff just right…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shorts *like* an endura singletrack’ is closed to new replies.