Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shorter stem to negate slacker head angle?
  • avdave2

I know I could just try it but I thought why not ask first as I know a few people on here have turned their bikes into 69ers.
    I’ve run my rigid bike as a 69er a few for a few months at a time in the past and while it’s definitely more comfortable, same tyres 26 and 29 for comparison, I find the steering a little slower which I don’t like as much. So the question is would a 20mm shorter stem make an appreciable difference? I’m happy with the bike fit and can get the saddle back 20mm to compensate.

Thanks

Andy-R

Try forks with less offset, which will in turn reduce the trail which will lighten the steering a bit and reduce low speed floppiness (if that’s even a real word?). Singular Hummingbird/Gryphon forks are your best bet for this.
    You want something with around 55mm offset – I’ve got a Singular Hummingbird, run as a 69er and I stand by my assertion that it’s the best handling bike I’ve ever owned.

brant
    Free Member

You have it the wrong way round Andy, but your product recommendation is right.

Andy-R

I actually did mean more offset Brant, but I’ve had a large ouzo…….

Andy-R

Anyway, to take my mind off impending economic disaster, I’ve now had a glass or two of very cheap (and good) wine.
    Yes, more offset is what you need folks!

Andy-R

And I’m using a 55mm stem on the Hummingbird, BTW.

avdave2

Thank you both, I’m rather attached to my Pace RC31 forks so not keen to change them. The bike is my off road commuter and although it’s used a lot it’s not for long at a time. So I don’t really want to invest in new forks for what is a fairly small gain on short journeys, i.e the comfort factor.

Andy-R

No probs, the Singular forks will be far more compliant than RC31’s – with a 2.4″ front tyre and low pressure (I use around 18psi) the ride quality is excellent (for rigid forks).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shorter stem to negate slacker head angle?’ is closed to new replies.