Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shorter cranks, 155/160/165mm. Kids sizes or just shorter than the norm.
  • rockhopper70

I was looking at my lads 24″ wheel hotrock, thinking I might ditch the front mech and triple chain rings, just to keep things simple for now.
    On his previous bike, a 20″ wheel, the cranks were 140mm and I managed to get a single ring crankset from Halfords for £15.

These are 155mm, so is that a standard but short size, or still in the realms of junior bikes.
    Will the be a 104bcd fitting or is it a differant standard at that length?

Thanks

mtbel
    Free Member

Is there any particular reason you can’t explain to him how the gears work and how to use them?

if so, Why not just fix the front mech in the middle position via the limit screws.?
    Hotrocks don’t have a particularly wide range cassettes so a triple (or double) chainset should come in fairly handy unless it’s only ever going to used for short mud free flat rides.

scaredypants

I think 165 is about as short as “adult” shimano sets go

don’t see why it matters how they’re marketed though

my kids had 140 then 155 super-heavy sets but now both on 165 (picked up used whenever I saw them on sale – the 12 yr old is on Saints, I think !)

agree with mtbel, when they were younger I fixed them in small and later in middle and let them learn the rear shifter in isolation

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rockhopper70

He’s 8 and has a habit of inadvertent shifting with the grip shift, which he likes.
    Rear mech not such an issue, front more so.
    But yes, I could just disengage it but fancied a cleaner solution.

tymbian
    Free Member

You might have more choice with a square tapered BB & junior bmx race cranks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my wife has 140mm ‘thorn’ cranks from SJS cycles. Square taper, will take 3 rings if you want.

Surely correct crank length is a huge factor in ‘bike fit’, why is there so little choice?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shorter cranks, 155/160/165mm. Kids sizes or just shorter than the norm.’ is closed to new replies.