Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shorter crank arms.. will I notice??
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

Normally ride with 175mm crank arms, but the new bike (FS)has 170’s 🙄

Will I notice?

And if I will what will I notice?

Ta

juiced
    Free Member

doubt it – i haven’t noticed. Although you’d get slightly better ground clearance.

If you do notice a difference i would have thought it be very small and may even be better

Northwind

I don’t. You might. (not even sure which of my bikes has the 170s and which has the 175s)

parkesie
    Free Member

ive run 170s as they were silly cheap and i didnt notice any difference.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I moved from 175 to 170. Haven’t noticed any difference other than I dont strike my pedals any more.

drain

As Zoolander. Found no difference to pedalling effort / speed changing from 175 to 170, but it made a helluva difference on my Superlight to pedal strikes in the ruts on the Ridgeway / around Wiltshire.

Lighter too 😉

ciderinsport
    Free Member

ok thanks!

Not for sale then, 1 new set of xt 170mm cranks 😆

toys19
    Free Member

All of the above are talking total rubbish, You will explode into millions of tiny sharp pieces that will lodge in the lungs of small creatures and cause untold environmental damage. This is probably the worst mistake you have ever made…

Evidence of my prediction can be found here open at your peril..

gee
    Free Member

I’ve swapped most bikes to 170mm – I feel it encourages you to spin more. I have 175s on the singlespeed and can feel the bigger circle.

GB

StirlingCrispin

I noticed going from 170mm to 175mm on my singlespeed in that I got a wee bit more torque on the climbs when thrutching.

But with gears: Mike Burrows says it makes no difference in terms of power. Roadie law says cranks should be 20% of inner leg length.

So – nah.

Scamper
    Free Member

Did notice the difference in terms of more ground clearance. Which is what i was after.

mrmo
    Free Member

depends on so many things, how often you ride, how long your legs are, where you ride. You may notice it, it may be better it may be worse. Your only real option is to try it and see

avdave2

I notice the difference between 165 which I have on one bike and 170 I have on another. If I’ve ridden the 170’s a lot then going to 165 feels odd for the first 20 minutes or so but after that all feels fine. Going the other way I don’t notice. The 165’s are better for spinning though and they are what I would choose if I were buying a new chainset and it was avaliable in 165 as I like to spin and a bit more clearance is always helpful.
    I have an old Marin East Peak with 175 cranks as I went for a bigger frame when I bought it to get the reach I wanted. That is fine off road where your always moving around in the saddle but my knees didn’t like long stretches on the road.
    So in short if you do notice a difference it probably won’t be for long.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Funny drain…. Mines a superlight too!

br
    Free Member

How long/short are your legs, if you’re a short-ar5e it could be a better bet for you.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’d been riding my bike a year before I realised that the SLX cranks were 170mm.

I only found out when I flipped the bike over and saw it embossed on the crank arm.

senorj

short ass here.
    170 far better on my glass knees than the 175s.

samuri
    Free Member

You’ll only really notice on a singlespeed or fixed. Geared bike, I doubt it.

drain

Zoolander is clearly of impeccable taste and wisdom 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I noticed a huge difference going from 175 to 165 – position, pedalling, everything. But then I am a proper midget.

I have 170s on the CX bike and seems to work as higher gears so slower cadence – and yes it feels different, all other bikes 165.

Depends how many other variables there are, I can’t say if you would notice, but you should, and if you don’t then it doesn;t really matter.

mrplow
    Free Member

I noticed the difference going from 170 to 175 going up hills.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shorter crank arms.. will I notice??’ is closed to new replies.