Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shorter and less technical routes in the Lakes
  • surfer
    Free Member

Going to the lakes with Surfer junior in a week or two for a couple of days walking, running (me only :D) and biking.
    I’m not a good technical rider but pretty fit but Surfer junior is even less experienced (14) so wanted some pointers to routes of around 20k with some lumps but nothing too difficult.
    I have done Claife heights so that is an option, any others?

Thanks

johnellison
    Free Member

North Face Trail in Grizedale, provided they’ve re-opened/repaired the missing/damaged bits and finished felling operations. Or if they haven’t, just patch together what bits you can with fireroad.

Pridds

Grizedale definetly. Also whinlatter blue the the bottom halves of both red loops is a nice ride that doesn’t have the techiness of the top halves
    Claiffe also a good option and you can string a nice ride together using the fireroads and rights of way around coniston/ tilberthwaite/iron keld/ grizedale that has very little tech but great views and good distance.
    Any of the bike shops (biketreks, ghyllside or cyclewise) will help you out with route advice. Where are you staying?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

The Loughrigg Terrace loop from Ambleside isn’t super technical but has plenty of interest, is hilly and rocky enough to be a challenge and is pretty short. Also plenty of bits around the old slate works to “session” if the fancy takes you.

Ambleside out to Troutbeck and back via Skelghyll woods is also a good short ride.

Biketreks have route cards for both of these I think.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks. Probably stay around Ambleside/Troutbeck.

colournoise

Ennerdale is a nice easy ride with some great views and a pretty ‘wild’ feel.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks Colournoise. Do you have any pointers ref the route?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Louhrigg Terrace definately, Blawith Common is a really good family option too. Witherslack springs to mind as well.

Probably a few more, will try and post up later

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shorter and less technical routes in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.