Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shortening f80 rl forks
  • Jerome
    Free Member

Anyone know If I can use an old fox float spacer to shorten these down to 65 or 60 mm to fit my old school bike.
    Thought it would be straightforward, but google suggests otherwise.
    Cheers
    Jerome

Jerome
    Free Member

Anyone know this before I have to pull them apart to find out..

mtbfix

I was looking at doing the same a while back. I was told it could be done but might render the suspension a bit spiky. I’ve got 80mm travel on a 63mm corrected frame and its fine.

matt_outandabout

Check the axle – crown length – you may find that they are shorter overall than some forks with less travel.

chestrockwell

I wouldn’t bother tbh, just run a fair bit of sag and you’ll be close to the retro geometry anyway.

mlke
    Free Member

as above

Jerome
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    Going to try the saggy route .
    I measured the floats at 450mm vs the 410mm p2’s.
    Thanks
    J..

kiwijohn

Honestly wouldn’t bother. I’m running these forks on my 95 DBR Axis TT & 20mm extra travel doesn’t hurt it at all.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Jerome, I have tinkered with a couple of fox forks and as far as I recall from the insides, there should be no reason you cannot take the fox reducer that takes their forks from 100mm-80mm and add it into an 80mm fork to reduce it to 60mm, and lower the A-C height, if you add it in the right place. I bet you could use a rockshox 20mm reducer in the right place too, if this doesn’t work for some reason. The suspension should not be “spikey” if you adjust your positive and negative air pressures correctly.

All you’re doing is adding a 20mm bumper under the top out stop, and then topping out where you would normally sit in a sagged mode at the end of the day, right?

Have fun tinkering and enjoy the geometry appropriate suspension on you aging wrists 😛

Rob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shortening f80 rl forks’ is closed to new replies.