Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shortening Brake hose
  • TrentSteel
    Free Member

I just got my new XT brakes and need to shorten the rear hose, the yellow vise adaptor thingy isn't included with the brakes and don't want out fork out £15 for the one that comes in the spare hose kit.

I was thinking of making one out of cork, any better ideas?

frank4short
    Free Member

It helps but you don't really need it. Just get a really sharp brand new razor blade to do it with. That's what i did it with & didn't have any problems.

richcc
    Free Member

I've just done this with my SLX and have no idea what the vice adapter is?? I just cut mine off square using a sharp knife on a wooden block

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Its the 2 piece plastic tool you put the hose in then put it in the vise to hold it ready to hammer in the new insert, it basically stops the hose being squashed when you put it in the vise

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126176945&SSAID=178434

richcc
    Free Member

Never had that with mine either. Held hose in hand and whacked barb in with a short piece of skirting board! You'll be telling me next there's a better way!?

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Ok, I did it, used a bit of cork and some molegrips to hold the hose in place as I hammered the new insert in. No need for a re-bleed and its best if you have a helper to hold the hose for you.

Hardest part by far was getting the hose out of the lever in the first place as the bolt was very tight, almost rounded it out and then had to resort to useing pliers to pull the hose out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shortening Brake hose’ is closed to new replies.