Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shortbreak in Venice- good hotels
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Miss monkeys birthday, looking for somewhere close to the centre if possible, thanks.

Took the wife to the:

Foscari Palace
    Campo S. Sofia 4200-1
    Venice, VE 30124
    Italy

Cracking small hotel, opposite the markets just off the Rialto Bridge.
    Cheaper than St.Marks & you really are right in the middle of it all.

Good rooms & great staff.
    Oh the roof top terrace offers truely spectacular views

null

We're going back there again, hopefully next year all being well. 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Albergo Doni is small and cheap, but clean and tidy, just behind St Mark's.
    I may be going to Venice in a couple of monthw,aand will probabkly be staying here.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

oh and, don't get too obsessed with central. I stayed on the Lido once, and that meant every day started with a trip across the lagoon toward venice, which looks a bit like this

ChrisE
    Free Member

We stayed on the Lido, an island about 500m opposite St Marks. 'twas very good and to be honest being out of the way of the main area has many benefits. Get a multi day water bus pass it is fantastic value

C

2nd the water bus pass, covers all islands including Murano & Baveno which are worth a trip.

DrJ

For once I prevailed over my missus. She suggested staying on the Lido but I wanted to be in the centre where we could walk home after dinner. Better choice, IMO. Obviously opinions differ. We stayed here – very comfortable and good location:

http://www.hotelbellavenezia.com/

+1 for the water bus pass.

voodoo-rich

Loved this place a couple of years back: Palace Bonvecchiati Very modern, nice antidote to all the old buildings you'll spend all day trekking round! 5 mins walk from St.Marks square. Hotelconnect.co.uk for a good deal!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Thanks some good ideas there, blimey its expensive aint it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

blimey its expensive aint it

Very.

Avoid sitting in the bars in the square – they charge you just for the benefit of sitting there and listening to their entertainment then rape you for the drinks you just bought.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Gritti palace, gorgeous and olde worlde venice. Near the centre, five stars and lovely terrace.

atlaz
    Free Member

We stayed here, rooms were decent, location great and not too expensive.

http://www.ateneo.it/inglese/index.html

We were only there a couple of days but we enjoyed the food at the Trattoria all Madonna (http://www.ristoranteallamadonna.com/eng/locale.htm).

There's bar called something like Cherubino if you are on the SE side of the Rialto bridge and head sort of SW. It's at the top of a small dead-end alley and will probably be mostly locals but its worth going there. The drinks are a good price, aperitivo on-hand and the people really friendly. Can't quite find the location but will edit if I do.

blimey its expensive aint it"

Yep, but look at the logistics of the place. Everything either by boat or handcart. Local housing costs etc
    Buses, fire engines, ambulance, police, rubbish collection, post, everthing's on a boat. Even JCB's
    Not surprising that it's expensive, but what a place.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

stonemonkey – Member
    Thanks some good ideas there, blimey its expensive aint it

Was thinking of the same a few weeks back, but the price put me off.
    What with the airport hidden charges, the hotel prices and finally the cost of food I gave up.

Wait until the £ = euro change in our favour.

genesis
    Free Member

We stayed in Treviso, much cheaper and took the train in everyday. Food was awesome! Venice was nice but keep away from the main tourist drags for food and to gain brownie points go to Harry's Bar where the Bellini was invented, but go smartly dressed 😉

skidartist
    Free Member

For hotels try Casa Kirch and Casa Verado, both run by the same people, the verado is more trad in feel, kirch is more moderne.

We stayed at the Verado,

Comfortable, sylish and no frill at the same time. The Verado is close to the action, a short walk from all the main attractions but away from the noise and clutter. Its in a stunning, peaceful spot, they eye in the storm really

http://www.casakirsch.com
    http://www.casaverardo.it/home-hotel.php?lang=ENG

Venice is astonishing. Its expensive, but don't expect to go shopping. Walk, eat,walk, drink walk walk walk walk. Its beautiful but its dead theres no real life there and no real shops (well theres lots of shops but for the most part they are just interesting to look at, not interesting to buy from). So you only really spend your money on refreshments.

petefromearth

i'd recommend Hotel Galleria which is beside the Academia Bridge. reasonable prices, kinda rustic and it overlooks the grand canal. they also bring breakfast to your room in the morning – saves them bothering with a dining room i guess but it's much nicer to be admiring the view from your room!

we found a really nice little bar on Campo Santa Margerita. nibble on some good prosciutto, bread, cheese and knock it back with a limoncello!

take a good map though

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shortbreak in Venice- good hotels’ is closed to new replies.