Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Short vid of Bush and Blair singing to each other
  • Karinofnine
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That came out on the eve of the Iraq war – I first saw it on Channel 5 News.

It now looks, thanks to Blair's head being so far up Bush's arse that he could see daylight, that the mythical "Special Relationship" is about to be pronounced dead :

In words that will be interpreted as criticism of Tony Blair's decision to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with George Bush on the invasion of Iraq, the committee said: "The perception that the British government was a subservient 'poodle' to the US administration leading up to the period of the invasion of Iraq and its aftermath is widespread both among the British public and overseas. This perception, whatever its relation to reality, is deeply damaging to the reputation and interests of the UK."

How ironic that the killing off of the "Special Relationship" could be part of a lasting legacy left by Blair.

iDave
    Free Member
    Karinofnine

Excellent. Yes, more topical by a long way!

I feel so pleased when I've found something that I hope will make you-all smile, and then it turns out that it's years old! lol

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fret not Karinofnine………it is topical.

It is precisely because of the Blair/Bush love affair, that the Parliamentary Foreign Affairs Committee looked into the "Special Relationship". And the committee's conclusion that it should be consigned to the dustbin of history, is grabbing the headlines at the moment.

Of course the "Special Relationship" only ever existed in the minds of British politicians – the Yanks never quite saw it like that.

As was amply illustrated by US President Truman's secretary of state Dean Acheson when he said, quote :

"Of course a unique relation existed between Britain and America—our common language and history insured that. But unique did not mean affectionate. We had fought England as an enemy as often as we had fought by her side as an ally."

And in fact even he, was exaggerating – sharing a common language and history with the United States is hardly "unique" Britain shares a common language and history with many countries – Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc. In fact rather more language, and a hell of a lot more history.

Dean Acheson also said, quote :

"Great Britain has lost an Empire and has not yet found a role."

Which I can't disagree with at all. In fact that goes to the very heart of many of Britain's problems concerning foreign policy, defence spending, etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Short vid of Bush and Blair singing to each other’ is closed to new replies.