Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Short turbo sessions focusing on power, any suggestions?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Most of the turbo stuff i’ve been doing seems to revolve around 90-100 cad efforts and i can barely keep myself interested for an hour so looking for some heavy but short (30-50 mins) involving raw power, has anyone got a sesh or two they could suggest please?

Thanks in advance

JB

billyblackheart
    Free Member

has anyone got a sesh or two they could suggest please?

Pedal hard reaaly reaaaaly hard
    rest a bit
    rest a bit
    rest a bit
    rest a bit
    rest a bit
    rest a bit

Repeat

tomhoward

Big gear, rack up the resistance.

Then what BBH said.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wellywheels
    Free Member

Emailed you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Define ‘power’?

Threshold power?
    5 min power?
    30 second power?
    5 second power? (fek off to the gym and do some squats for this one)

Pick the ‘power’ you want, and do a warm up, then intervals of that untill you puke.

2 x 20 min is a popular one for threshold power (with 10min warmup, a short rest inbetween and 10min cool down), just go as hard as you can sustain for the 20 minutes.

Northwind

Tabata intervals and spend the rest of the 30 minutes trying to get up off the floor?

jameso

Do you mean strength, rather than power output? A friend is an ex military trainer and power/weights type. We were talking about training a while back and he said low reps / high resistance for strength, low resistance / many reps for endurance – ie the difference between his gym sessions and my bike rides.

I’ve found my SS and big-ring road climbs make me stronger, ie low cadence hauling for 3-5 mins (climbs here aren’t that big). Can’t imagine that being good for a bike attached to a turbo?

Apologies for hijack –

Tabata intervals

Not heard of that before. How often would you do that before an event, 1x a week for 6 weeks prior?

kilo

We were talking about training a while back and he said low reps / high resistance for strength, low resistance / many reps for endurance – ie the difference between his gym sessions and my bike rides.

Pyramid intervals from adam tophams book on tt’ing, warm up then start doing 45 sec intervals with two minute active recovery, then two minute intervals with five minute active recovery then five minute intervals with eight minutes active recovery, i think it’s sets of 8,5 and 3 at the times increase but haven’t done them since the summer – supposed to work both the fast twitch and slow twitch muscles all i know is it’s bloody horrible

MSP

Russian steps

warm up
    30 secs hard
    30secs easy
    1 min hard
    1 min easy
    2 min hard
    2 min easy
    3 min hard
    2 min easy
    4 min hard
    2 min easy
    5 min hard
    2 min easy
    4 min hard
    2 min easy
    3 min hard
    2 min easy
    2 min hard
    1 min easy
    1 min hard
    30 secs easy
    30 secs hard
    5 mins cool down

Northwind

jameso – Member

Not heard of that before. How often would you do that before an event, 1x a week for 6 weeks prior?

I wouldn’t, I’m bone idle 🙂 But it’s a time-compressed approach that seems pretty well regarded, someone’ll know how to work it properly.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Actually that’s not too bad a guess.

I use that type of timescale for tabata workouts as a sharpener before the CX and XC season, despite doing regular intervals and tempo work all year long.

The efforts should be consistent however and not induce fading in the 5, 6, 7, 8th intervals. OK maybe the last one 😀 (170% of FTP was used in the original study)

epo-aholic
    Free Member

power= strength/explosive/low cadence/anaerobic make sense? 😀

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Jo Friel guide says Power jumps, 5 sets of 5 jumps, each jump is 10 12 revolutions (each leg), high cadence with a minimum of 1 minute recovery between jumps and 5 between intervals. Think power and technique

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Short turbo sessions focusing on power, any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.