Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Short travel full suspension bikes – what to look at?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Hi

Been thinking recently to build up a short travel 4-5″ rig – ideally want something that is ok at climbing, but can take a battering going down too, and wouldn’t be to phased by the odd 4X course. I’m not really sure what to be looking for, I’m quite liking the look of the Devinci Dixon, but others I’ve looked at are Commencal’s Meta 55, Lapierre’s Zesty (although not available as frame only), and the Orange Five (I know the Five has a lot of love, but I’m not keen on the looks).

Can anyone recommend others to look at so I can do some research – £2k would be my absolute max limit for a frame, ideally want to be in the £1-1.5k range for frame only.

Am I even looking at the right type of bikes for a bit of a ‘do it all’ rig?

Naranjada
    Free Member

Whyte T120S – £2k for a complete bike with a slack’ish head angle, decent 2×10 and bolt-through spec’ & lifetime warranty on the bearings.

prezet
    Free Member

Looks lovely – shame it’s not available as frameset only. Although could sell the forks and wheels to get some of the cash back.

Do you know if it comes with ISCG tabs? Ideally would like to keep my 1×9 setup.

mudpup
    Free Member

Pivot Mach 4
    Run it with a 120 fork

yossarian
    Free Member

Banshee spitfire?

mboy
    Free Member

Giant Trance X would be ideal for what you describe. Get a whole bike for £1500-£2k, sell off any bits you don’t want to keep and build up with your chosen components. It may not be boutique or flashy but it will be ace to ride!

Anyway, most of the frames you mention are mid-long travel, not short travel…

Mal-ec
    Free Member

2011 Orange ST4?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Turner Flux

thejesmonddingo

What’s the difference between 2010 and 2011 st4’s?

stevede
    Free Member

Here’s a few options to have a look at:

Short travel hardcore full suss:
    Orange Blood
    Commencal Meta 4x
    Mythic Rampant
    Specialized sx (not sx trail).
    Yeti 4x
    Transition Bottlerocket

Short travel full suss with a more xc bias:
    Giant Anthem or Trance
    Specialized Epic or Camber

Mid travel tough trail bike:
    Lappierre Zesty
    Orange Five
    Specialized Stumpjumper evo
    Last Herb am (got a lot of love by Dirt mag a while back)
    Saracen Ariel
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Specialized Pitch (i love mine but have built it up as a tough build that can winch up rather than an all day bike)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If 140mm like Zesty, 5.5….is “short travel” then I must be getting old 😉

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

transition bandit?

and that last herb am thing in dirt read more like an advertorial rather than a review. MPORA ruined a good mag

prezet
    Free Member

Sorry – told you I didn’t know what I was looking for 😀

Cheers for the options – will have a look through.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

What’s the difference between 2010 and 2011 st4’s?

vs

New one is stiffer, climbs + descends better, not heard of any breakage/chainsuck issues with the new design. IMHO.

flyingfox
    Free Member

I’d second Whyte T-120 – just sell the bits you don’t want as it’ v cheap. Otherwise Pivot Mach 4 is truly wonderful. Ours have come in now along with our 5.7 demo (but a customer took it straight out otherwise I’d be out for a day long mission on it!!).

prezet
    Free Member

I know it’s mid-travel – but the Devinci Dixon is looking good to me at the moment. Only thing it lacks is ISCG tabs so I can run 1×9. And it’s a bit on the expensive end of the range too. Although I could wait till the end of the season and try to pick one up in the sales.

1981miked
    Free Member

I run a 1×9 setup with no iscg tabs on my 2010 Orange St4 frame without any problems, I am selling this frame by the way, it climbs very well and decends even better, as good as my 5 did. The frame is white, 2010 model, 16″ and immaculate, comes with a red hope headset, bb and seat qr.

Email mikedonald@hotmail.com if interested.

Thanks,

Mike.

prezet
    Free Member

1981miked – do you use one of the E-13 adaptors with a guide to run 1×9?

1981miked
    Free Member

I run an e13 chainguide and a short cage rear mech, never dropped the chain yet. No bash either.

prezet
    Free Member

Did you have to use one of these: adaptor

1981miked
    Free Member

No, just a bottom bracket mounted chainguide. If u search my forum activity I have pics of the frame built up, u may see it in the pics. Sorry cnt help more, im away from home so cnt check it.

prezet
    Free Member

The more I look and read about the Last Herb AM, the more I’m liking. Seems to tick most of my boxes, and it’s at a decent(ish) price too.

Anyone rode one? Or spoken to anyone that’s rode one?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Short travel full suspension bikes – what to look at?’ is closed to new replies.