Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Short Travel Full Sus Options for 26er
  • zer0cool
    Free Member

So Ive got a hardly used 100mm fork for 26 inch and a bunch of other parts and want to build a short travel full sus bike, just need the frame.
    I know Anthem will probably be top option, but what else? Would probably prefer a Camber or Epic, perhaps Orange ST4 for something different.
    Anyone got anything to recommend?

hopefiendboy

I’ve had an anthem,fsr etc.anthem Best of the lot. Depends on your budget otherwise but I wouldn’t look any further with that brief!

z1ppy

SC Superlight, newer version seem to sell for no more than the ‘old’ version on fleabay.. bizarre! (Newer version is lots of fun btw)
    Would have thought the like of the Camber and ST4 would appreciate a 120mm fork, my Superlight did TBH… and if were going 120mm (can you extend your forks?), I’d alway suggest the C’dale Prophet SL – 120mm version of the 140mm Prophet

Northwind

Not everyone agrees but I found my 26er camber was a useless abortion of a thing. Couldn’t see the point, it’s more or less the weight of a stumpy and it pedals like a stumpy but it descends pretty much like an XC bike. I ended up with 130mm of fork in it which made it merely bad, it couldn’t take an angleset either thought that probably just saved me money. Pretty sure it’s the bike I kept for the least time, decided to sell it halfway down the classic at innerleithen, the thought process went exactly like this:

OH ****
    OH GOD
    I wonder how much I’d get for this on ebay
    OH JESUS
    OH ****
    Actually I don’t care how much
    OH ****ing ****ing ****

zer0cool
    Free Member

Unfortunately cant extend no, its RockShox 30 Gold in 100mm. Was on a hardtail that I had.
    I will look into the Superlight, but I do agree that everything Ive read so far says look no further than an Anthem.
    Thanks for the advice so far.

lesgrandepotato

How about a Scott Spark, nice light XC bike and slightly different.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

What size are you after?
    We have 1 x brand new 26″ Turner Flux in large remaining.
    Drop me a mail directly if you think that might fit the bill.

cheers

richie @ silverfish – uk . com

zippykona

It’s taken me 4 bikes and more money than I want to think about to get a bike as good as this one.
    It’s fantastic.

NormalMan

@ Northwind – so can I take you are not going to be interested in my Camber Expert then? 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Flux is a good option for a 100mm fork, and 2nd hand Turners aren’t holding price very well.

The bushings on a Turner are rock solid as well.

Better than the anthem and superlight options, having ridden all of them.

If over 5ft 9 then you will need a large.

haggis1978

I’ve got a Horst Link Turner Flux with a Kashima RP23. Cant post it for a couple of weeks but the shock is near new and the frame rides super sweetly. £250 Posted.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

On the flip side I absolutely love my camber…. Taken it all round the UK and it copes with everything I throw at it. But I have replaced everything (fox ctd rear / revs up front / flow wheelset etc).

With the stock Reba and rubbish spesh / fox horrible abomination that was the triad it rode terribly.

A push tuned ctd transformed the bikes handling characteristics. Also run the front end a tiny bit higher than stock (130 mm rev). It has a low BB so pedal strikes are an issue but on the flip side the low CoG allows you to rail the berms and angle the bike over.

I have been demoing bikes over last year or so (29ers and the marketing wet dream that is 650b), but I have not found anything much better worth spending the money on. Depends a lot on riding style I guess too…. But for me I am keeping the camber for a bit longer.

devash
    Free Member

I’d 100% recommend going for a 26er Anthem frame. They are surprisingly light for aluminium and make the perfect XC / general trail riding bike.

I have a 26er Camber as my main day to day bike. The frames are only really good for 120mm-140mm travel, ideally 120mm. The reach is already really, and I mean realllllyyyyy long (longer than current trends even) and they already have a low bottom bracket so lowing the travel would screw things up.

I’d also have to agree with Northwind. I grew to ‘sort-of’ like mine (eventually) after upgrading almost everything on the bike, but I really wish I’d have gone with a Giant Trance. The 26er Cambers are a real Marmite bike but they do handle most UK riding and certainly feel like they have more than 120mm travel.

granny_ring

OP, got a carbon 100mm Titus frame for sale, info Here if interested.

core

What size is the Turner haggis1978?

ineedabeer
    Free Member

SC Superlight running 120 fork, I have used it all over the uk, dales, peak, lakes, scotland, wales hardly ever ride trail centres so most of my riding is natural stuff. I can honestly say its a great bike and its on 26’s it has taken everything that has been thrown at it. Have a mate who swears by his anthem, set up very similar to the sc but as I have not ridden it I could not give a direct comparison.

jumble
    Free Member

I have a Trek Top Fuel carbon with serviced shock, new chain stays and new suspension bearings all round for sale if you are interested.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Short Travel Full Sus Options for 26er’ is closed to new replies.