Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Short travel 29er's
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

So I’ve decided that this is the sort of bike I want for my birthday next year (July).

I’ve made a list of bikes that I want to demo before I buy as I don’t want to buy blind on the next one. For reference, I currently ride a 2016 carbon Stumpy in large and it’s a tad too small.

Tallboy 3 (demoed it and liked it a lot)
    Yeti SB 4.5c
    Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    Cotic Flare Max
    Orange Stage 4
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Are there any others to add to the list? £4500 is probably going to be my maximum as I want to finance half. Experiences with the above would be nice too 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe not short travel…

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/09/eurobike-2017-rocky-mountains-new-
    instinct-pipeline/

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ohh, I do like Rocky Mountain bikes and I wouldn’t rule out longer travel depending on a test ride.

Forgot about Intense too, so I’ll have a look at their range. Hopefully, I should be able to demo most of these before next summer.

roverpig

Transition smuggler is one obvious omission

johnw1984
    Free Member

Oh course! Transition, cheers 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m waiting on a smuggler carbon, or it will be the new Evil following.

I also saw this recently that made me go a bit wobbly

of those you have listed I’d go fuel ex, they are superb.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m hopefully looking at a Smuggler – all be it a cheaper one than your budget!

chiefgrooveguru

Banshee Phantom?

teamslug
    Free Member

Orbea Occam TR or Oiz

TheGingerOne

Kona Hei Hei range

Tiger6791

Spesh Camber… ? (love mine)

thepodge
    Free Member

That Bionicon is looking a bit traditional for them.

Saw this on Pinkbike and thought it looked nice, Patrol’s 29-inch-wheel 591

jonnyboi

How short travel? I find 100mm enough to get me round most things.

Cannondale Scalpel

Yetiman
    Free Member

Starling Murmur can be supplied with a shorter 51mm stroke shock to give 125mm of travel, but there’s still a long waiting list I think.

tomhoward

I’ve a pivot 429sl (100mm travel, 120mm fork) and it’s brilliant. Rides way better than its numbers suggest. Think I prefer dw link to the vpp of Santa Cruzes too

DezB
    Free Member

Ohh, I do like Rocky Mountain bikes and I wouldn’t rule out longer travel depending on a test ride

Instinct definitely worth a demo then. Love mine and it’s the older model. Would replace it with the new one in a heartbeat 😀

owenh

As per the normal recommend what you have way, what about a Whyte T129? Even with the RS spec there would be enough left in the budget to add a set of lighter/higher specc wheels if you felt the need.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Spesh camber +1

bigjim

Smuggler or Orbea Occam TR would be what I would look at.

johnw1984
    Free Member

My god there’s a few to work through there!

Cannondale Scalpel – I’ve always wanted a Lefty, but I think it might be a little on the XC side for my riding. I’m not exactly some sort of fast shredder etc, but I’ll give most things a go 🙂

I want to stay away from Specialized as I don’t think it will be different enough from what I have now.

Not a fan of Evil bikes to be honest. Few friends have/had them and I wasn’t really keen.

Orbea/Bionicon/Starling are left-field enough to grab my attention too.

Banshee/Kona will be investigated. Looks like I’ll be looking at all these till July at this rate lol.

Never been a fan of Whyte bikes to be honest. Maybe a demo will change my mind, but they’ve never really stood out for me. No rational reason why though.

Rockape63
    Free Member

2018 Giant Anthem?

johnw1984
    Free Member

I was keeping my eye on the new Anthem, but it looks like they’ve gone back to being more racey for the 29er.

I’m leaning more to Trek Fuel/SB 4.5c/Tallboy etc. More of a short travel 29er trail bike (I do like to be awkward!).

The Kona/Orbea Occam are looking good too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Short travel 29er's’ is closed to new replies.