Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Short tour of Netherlands, where would you go, where would you stay?
  • midlifecrashes

Looking at four days riding/sightseeing/drinking over there in April. Coming in and out of Hull so Rotterdam and/or Zeebrugge are the start/end points. Riding around 70km/day, my mate is an old biffer on an e-bike. Our initial thoughts are Rotterdam-Delft, explore the town, on and hit the coast to stay a t Noordwijk. Next day pop in to Haarlem, then on up the coast. Drop in south via/around Amsterdam, back to Rotterdam. Alternative thoughts are Zeebrugge, Bruges, Gent, Antwerp, Breda, Tilburg, Rotterdam type loop. Are we on the right track. I’ve never been to either Belgium or Netherlands.

Are StayOK hostels decent?
    Thanks.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Theres a lot of good info here:
    http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/holland.shtml

keen to follow this thread, as I’ve been planning on doing the same..

I lived there for a couple of years, and loved it, Keep meaning to go back.

Maybe this year I will!!

rogermoore

Did (well, almost all of – but it’s a long story) Hull-Zeebrugge-Brugge-Middelburg-Goedereede-Rotterdam-Hull last year. Easy, flat, few sights, lots of drink. Would recommend.
    RM.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andytherocketeer

would choose Leiden to stay in rather than Noordwijk (certainly more places to eat and drink in the evening).
    but I would pop via Noordwijk to have a nose around the space museum there en route to Haarlem.

DougD

Did a tour a few years ago that was pretty nice, train over to Libramont then cycled up to the Hague via Bastogne, Liege, Maastricht, Nijmegen, Arnhem, Apeldoorn, Amersfoort and Leiden

Maastrich, Amersfoort and Leiden were all nice,

Reckon something like Rotterdam Delft – Leiden – Amsterdam – Amersfort – The Hague would be pretty decent

Pickers

I toured through Belgium and Holland last year, from Dunkirk through Bruges and up to Ijmuiden. The coastal tracks are good for touring, especially through the dunes north of The Hague – Katwijk and Noordwijk towards Zandvoort. Plenty of places for eats and drinks.
    I stayed in the StayOK hostel in The Hague, it was fine. Plenty of secure bike storage but down a flight of stairs which could be interesting with a heavy e-bike.
    April in this part of the world is Classics time – well worth finding a bar near a race even if it’s not your thing, the crack is good.

midlifecrashes

Good stuff, thanks. Getting my head round the geography of the place a bit more now I’ve found a map of the LF network, the link above was very handy. Got some more accurate distances now to make a better plan. Space museum looks like a goer too. Pickers, didn’t you do the Paris Roubaix sportive too that week? You must have got some good miles in your legs that month.

duncancallum

Nijemegan, arhnem, Utrecht

I love nijemegan

Pickers

@MLC – Certainly did! It was a great week and quite a few miles! One other thing – prevailing winds. I was lucky and had tailwind the whole way up, people going the other way really weren’t enjoying things.
    You’ll see loads of sit-up and beg Dutch roadsters with tri-bars fitted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Short tour of Netherlands, where would you go, where would you stay?’ is closed to new replies.