Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Short Stem (60/70mm) with room for a Garmin GPS mount? (for Edge 200)
  • gribble
    Free Member

As above, I would like to try a cheapish short stem, but if possible still keep my Garmin Edge 200 GPS mount fitted to them stem, rather than the bars. It is one of those twist to release mounts.

Bars are quite cluttered as I have old fashioned (07) dual control shifters, which means the bars do not have as much room as regular shifters/brake levers.

Anyone got a shortish stem which will fit the above mount? I currently have a Thompson 100mm stem, with a slight rise on it and it fits fine. I am hoping to try something like a 60/70mm stem, hoping it will quicken the handling. Bars are 690mm low risers.

wwaswas

this is an intersting approach (although maybe a bit vulnerable for mtb use);

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Garmin_500_custom_mount_P3690537

maybe something similar where the stem cap is?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

There are a few Garmin mounts available now, that put the unit in front of the stem plate. Google racewaredirect, k-edge do one too. There’s a good thread on weightweenies about it too.

Kryton57

I have an 80mm Thompson and my Edge 500 JUST fits. Any shorter and it’d be propped up on the top cap.

mintimperial

My Garmin 800 fits fine on a 70mm Hope stem. Won’t work if you’ve got spacers above the stem though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unless you’re on narrow flat bars (which would be super horrible with a short stem) surely there’s space on the bars somewhere near the stem?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

could you not use similar to the pic above but mount it under the stem top cap so that it sat above the stem?

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all above. I had no idea there were so many aftermarket mounting options, although some of them do look a bit vulnerable for MTB, (but a pretty good option for roadies). I assume you could reverse mount one of the above as suggested, so it would sit above the stem.

I would prefer, if possible, to keep it on top of the stem itself, although if pushed I could stick it on the bars (adding to the clutter, but giving me many more options for cheaper stems – recently got a Hussafelt 40mm for the wife for circa £24).

Although the Hopes etc look smart, I find the whole stem testing process pretty random – my Thompson was a shorter stem than the stock one that came with the bike, but I had no idea how short to go. I guess they just have to go in the parts bin and ebay! Is there a huge difference between 100mm and 70mm? I am a bit worried less than 60mm will be a bit drastic.

wwaswas

wtf is going on with the brake and gear cables on that bike?

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I mounted my Edge 200 on the top tube just behind the steerer as there was no space on the stem/bars.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

weird isn’t it

jonba
    Free Member

I found some rigid foam and put it under the mount so it didn’t foul anything.

It was only really a problem because I had a 10mm spacer above the stem. If you don’t have spacers it might not be a problem.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Short Stem (60/70mm) with room for a Garmin GPS mount? (for Edge 200)’ is closed to new replies.