Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Short steerer woes, opinions wanted…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Put a lefty on my HT but have just swapped my frame and now the steerer is a little on the short side. Can do bottom bolt on stem but not top bolt. Got a good amount of bolt from top cap into SFN and everything is solid enough. Curious to hear peoples opinions. Not into jumps n stuff but do like to ride big rocks and technical stuff.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Obvious solution, get rid of your headset top cap (or replace it with something less tall)

Some of your favourite road riders do this!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whats that spacer thing under the stem aswell? Can you get rid of that?

druidh
    Free Member

No. Way.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sort your cables out aswell

Jeffus
    Free Member

No looks way too short , not safe in my opinion.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bike not yet set up hence the cables.

Black spacer thing is an essential part of the fork.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Here you go, check this out. Problem solved. Also, flip your stem and your bars, shave your legs and dont nod your head when riding up hills.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Wooooaaah…I’m with Druid on this one….

Sure it might be ok…but would you want to find out it isn’t. It has 2 bolts for a reason.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

give you £200 for it!

tazzymtb

find an older style thomson stem the wedge tightens onto the steerer tube well below the top of the stem so it’ll be bomber.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

project 321 steerer?

got one for sale

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Don’t ride that even with a thomson, it will come off.

Sadly its a new steerer/fork job

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

way too short. Are replacement steerers not available for the lefty?

jackal
    Free Member

😯

No way would I ride that off road, might trust it to the pub and back, so at least on the ride home when you smash all teeth into the back of your throat you’ll not know much about it.
    Like how you’ve managed to get both sides of the stem clamp area to touch on the upper clamp bolt too…

Troll?

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

would not but i can lend you a thomson to see if it works

YGM

Kato

Jesus! I wouldn’t ride it, but let us know how you get on!

argoose
    Free Member

I don’t understand, where is the steerer from? All mine had forks attached.
    Surely if the lefty has a set up like half a double crown fork then,
    A) Shouldn’t it be supplied with one.
    B) Can you source a double crown steerer

Dancake
    Free Member

How much steerer is available? DMR do a 30mm stack stem (DMR swarm) but you might have even less than that there 😯

andyl
    Free Member

christ! no way I would ride that. Be careful doing that to your stem clamp too (the top bolts).

What frame and headset? If a new steerer is not an option can you fit a lower profile one or remove the top section as mentioned?

RustyMac

Has the steerer been cut down? Surely with it being a lefty fork you could just buy a new steerer tube for it. They shouldn’t be too expensive – not like a fox CSU. Is the head tube on the frame exceptionally long?

amedias
    Free Member

Seeing as i sold you that fork I know exactly how long that steerer is. It is fine for bikes with up to ~120mm headtubes (depending on the stack height of the headset and stem you are using) any bigger than that and you will **need** a longer steerer.

Also… seeing as you have that little steerer showing you must have moved the bottom crown down the leg a bit, which means depending on the tyre you are using you may not have the full 140mm clearance between the tyre and crown so they could contact on full compression.

Please do not ride it like that.

(for ref it was previously fitted to a an Intense Tracer with a 117mm headtube and a 1st gen hope headset and a straightline XC stem, and that was about the limit of its adjustment.)

cynic-al
    Free Member

No frikkin way.

The fact you are asking is quite worrying.

amedias
    Free Member

your options are:

project 321 crowns and steerer

project 321 steerer

^ older version of this is what is currently fitted

Cannondale lefty 4 all steerer

or a frame with a smaller headtube if you are hell-bent on using it with the current steerer.

seavers
    Free Member

Just spend a bit of cash to make it right, amedias has given you the best options… or spend even more cash with your dentist to have the remains of that steerer removed from your face when your stem pops off.

TiRed

Personally, I wouldn’t ride is as shown as I too value my teeth. Pulling up on the bars looks worrysome!

However, there are some low stack height BMX stems that might suit if the steerer diameter is the same. And if they are good enough for BMX, then I wouldn’t worry about the odd rock garden.

From CRC…

loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone wanna buy a lefty….?

Or will swap for some DUCs…

loddrik
    Free Member

Was thinking removing the upper seal cap could see me gain a cm of steerer.

It’s on a maverick which has an integrated headset so a lower stack headset isn’t an option.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Short steerer woes, opinions wanted…’ is closed to new replies.