Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Short sleeved shirts for work? yay or nay.
  • sirromj

Oh **** off.

funkmasterp

Jesus! Who knew people cared so much about sleeve length. I’m lucky enough to work in an office where there is no dress code. Jeans or trousers with an untucked shirt if I’m visiting customers. Suit, but never with a tie if it’s something more serious. This is because I am an adult and haven’t been told what to wear since leaving school.

Never understood tucking things in. Surely they wouldn’t be separate in the first place if they required tucking in?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Even worse if not tucked in

Does depend on the shirt though and if you are trying to achieve a sense of sprezzatura. 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Never understood tucking things in. Surely they wouldn’t be separate in the first place if they required tucking in?

It’s just a thing grown ups do sometimes.

So when you wear a suit, as you said you do occasionally, you have the shirt untucked? Do you also wear trainers with it?

funkmasterp

It’s just a thing grown ups do sometimes.

So when you wear a suit, as you said you do occasionally, you have the shirt untucked? Do you also wear trainers with it?

Nope to the trainers, but shirt is sometimes untucked as it’s shorter than the jacket.

Other thing grown ups do sometimes is make up their own mind about what to wear. Now go back and ask your mum what you’re allowed to wear tomorrow

mattsccm
    Free Member

Never unless you are playing darts. If it has a collar then long sleeves are the only option. You don’t want to look as if you belong on some motor sorts team, who always look tacky or like an Israeli Politian.
    Same as tucked in. Collar means tucked in. Fashion = ballocks.

pictonroad

Surprised it’s not been mentioned*, there’s only one man who can boss the SS shirt and tie combo;

*unless it has

Gary_M
    Free Member

Now go back and ask your mum what you’re allowed to wear tomorrow

I’d love to but she died of cancer in 2012. I’ll ask my wife instead.

emsz
    Free Member

that’s all you worry about? whether your shirt sleeves are long or short?

amateurs. 🙄

bruk

Always short sleeves, no tie, preferably a check pattern as it makes the blood, shit, vomit etc less obvious. Plus it’s less to iron in a hurry in the morning 😉

Now ties are something I can’t wear, weddings, funerals or court appearances only!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Working in genuinly warm places it’s long sleeves all the way, part of that is the extra UV protection it offers and that it can be both long and short just by rolling them up.
    I’ll confess to owning some short sleeved shirts once upon a time, they are now bike rags.

Houns

Short sleeve shirt = car salesperson

twisty

I either wear a long sleeved shirt if I want/need to be smart or a polo shirt to be a bit more casual, a short sleeve shirt just seems to in a deadzone between the two which should not be entered. I am very far from being a fashionista though.

piemonster

Who knew this was such a hot topic!

I’ve never really been that fussed about appearances and it’s been many a year since I dressed for anything but comfort.

Usually end up in some cheap Next shirt and linen trousers for work. Always with trainers as well.

Pretty much given up on ‘looking good’ and am quite happy about that. It never added anything to my life so why bother.

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t wear them but they’re not too bad as long as not coupled with a tie.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

wear a shirt for work ? nah jeans and a tshirt for me in the office.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve had a bit more of a think about it. As a guide:

-If the only way you can show you’re “good” at your “job”, you don’t have a job, you’re just part of a pyramid scheme, and you must “dress well” with a long sleeved shirt that fits well and a tie.

-If you have a job where your work is what actually counts, nobody gives a toss.

(FWIW, I can dress well, have had a job in a mid to upmarket men’s clothes shop, I just generally can’t be arsed for work, and like T shirts when I’m not at work. And those different fits of shirt up there are just that, different cuts. Neither is right or wrong, and I can think of plenty of people who would look ridiculous in a tight fitting shirt.)

footflaps

-If you have a job where your work is what actually counts, nobody gives a toss.

Hence I’m in the office in shorts and T-shirt…..

tjagain

Something thats always puzzled me – if you need a uniform of shirt and tie at work is this tax deductable or does your employer provide?

squirrelking
    Free Member

So glad to be a shift worker sometimes, imagine having to deal with this sort of tedious bullshit day in day out. No wonder nothing ever seems to get done right if 42 year old men can’t dress themselves without a committee.

My take – wear what you like – short sleeves, top and tails, clown suit, whatever. Just do your job properly and **** what the “cool kids” think.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The cool kids don’t matter,
    Fashion is ephemeral bullcrap, style is something completely different, people often confuse the two.

Gary_M
    Free Member

if you need a uniform of shirt and tie at work is this tax deductable or does your employer provide?

It’s not a uniform. You would need to wear some form of clothing so if it’s ‘business dress’ why would it be tax deductible?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hate office uniform. Hate long sleeved shirts. Hate ties.

I wear a short sleeve casual, not tucked in, no tie.

As a contractor I don’t dress as far down as other developer/IT types so I don’t do jeans or shorts and a t-shirt.

I go for smart enough to go to the pub and trendy enough for work related meeting in a coffee shop. Nothing worse than seeing suits in a coffee shop (except the coffee shop being Costa or Starbucks. That’s sinking far too low).

binners

Where do we stand on codpieces?

I generally favour the Black Russian, as it tends to lend me a certain gravitas, consummate with my position in society. Though I have heard some clients say it can be quite intimidating.

But if I tone it down and go for something shorter, and less imposing, then I may be mistaken for the muck-cart driver, and part of the common peasantry.

Its a dilemma

Gary_M
    Free Member

Nothing worse than seeing suits in a coffee shop

How odd. There really are worse things than that.

fifeandy
    Free Member

It’s too cold (weather wise) for me to wear short sleeve to work …

+1
    And given that if it ever gets as much as moderately warm the chubby brigade turn the air con to the max, a softshell is a more likely thing to need than a short sleeve shirt.

Yak

Yeah, I do, but mostly in wfh manner, or maybe on a site visit in warm weather. But if visiting someone’s office for a proper meeting – then a long-sleave shirt. As above though, something that fits. No ridiculous ill-fitting balloon shirts – Hawaiian’s excepted. Obviously they are fine and should be baggy.

tthew

I only wear short sleeves to work, and everywhere else really, don’t like sleeves for some reason. No tie though.

My only long sleeve shirt is a smart one for my suit, which also requires bastarding cuff links. Annoys me every time I wear it, which is infrequently enough that I never get round to replacing it.

binners

It’s summer. Embrace the sleeveless shirt, surely?

footflaps

I go for smart enough to go to the pub

Is dressing up for the pub a thing now?

I wear the same clothes in the pub, at home, at work….

I *might* dress up for a posh restaurant if it’s a special occasion.

mogrim

It’s summer. Embrace the sleeveless shirt, surely?

I’ve been convinced by the gurus on this thread and have seen the light: long sleeves and a tie are the way to go, even in summer.

deadkenny
    Free Member

footflaps – Member 
    Is dressing up for the pub a thing now?

Some go as far as a suit.

Euro
    Free Member

Most of my shirts are short sleeved (casual not suity style). Mostly cause my arms are too long for normal shirts*. Never in a tie or tucked unless someone’s died. I have a few pyjama tops that are part of my clothing rota – that’s how ucking cool i am 😀 . As long as i’m not naked no one seems to mind in work.

* I’m sure i could get shirts that fit but that would mean trying them on. Problem is i’m utterly crap at folding shirts (and most clothes in fact) and hate leaving clothes i’m not buying back in a crumpled heap so i don’t bother. Short sleeves don’t need trying on!

slowoldman

I go for smart enough to go to the pub and trendy enough for work related meeting in a coffee shop.

Now there’s a dress code I wasn’t aware of.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Short sleeved shirts for work? yay or nay.’ is closed to new replies.