Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Short list of enduro bikes to consider?
  • transition1
    Free Member

I got a Vitus Sommet pro frame & built it up, very similar geometry etc to the Patrol. After all the Nukeproof was a bit of a Covert copy.

Euro
    Free Member

Ignore everyone and make sure you get to sit on / have a ride and pick what feels best rather than buy blind.

Or ignore that and buy blind 😆 . I have on practically every bike i’ve owned. Latest being a Rocket Max 29 (also perfect for your needs as a complete bike).

As you can see from the many suggestions, there are oodles of bikes that more than capable for the riding you do/aspire to as the market is swamped with great bikes. Frame swapping will likely be an utter pain and not something i’d do personally as my mountain bike ‘standards’ knowledge is limited. But if that’s your thing i can’t help with frame choice i’m afraid as i’ve not ridden any on your list but will say if your current wheels/brakes etc are ok now, they’ll be ok after. You admit you aren’t finding the limits of 140mm brakes so i conclude you aren’t really giving your bike too hard a time. Wheels, if looked after, will be fine too.

Maybe get some new forks first and stick them on your current bike and see how you get on? Bigger rotors too if needed. Burly it up gradually, while saving for and deciding which new frame.

joebristol

Not thought about Vitus – will have a look. If it could be like a Patrol but cheaper that would work – £1800 for a Patrol frame is a lot of money. The airdrop edit is around £1600 for frame with shock and a Pike thrown in which sounds nice.

jamj1974

I have a Patrol and love it – but a good proposition based on value it isn’t. I bought it – because I could afford it. If I had a lower budget it just wouldn’t have been on the list. I would have gone for a 2015 Enduro Expert, Bird Aeris or an alloy Trek Slash.

joebristol

Really aspiring to the Patrol at the moment – but it is expensive. It’s not I don’t have the cash, it’s justifying spending so much! Want to keep most of the cash I’m sat on as a ‘just in case’ something happens on the house or we need something for the baby etc. Will save separately for a while until I’ve got enough for a frame etc. On the verge of hitting the buy button on a 160mm Pike in the meantime. Only drama is boost or non-boost I think. So annoying the different standards that are floating round in the industry at the moment.

I think I’d like a bike that’s similar to a Patrol but a bit cheaper. I do need to swing a leg over some bikes first though and see how they ride!

damascus
    Free Member

Buy a specialized enduro 2nd hand. You can pick them up for decent money. Then sell your bike to recoup some of the costs.

joebristol

The Bird website is a dangerous thing with inspecting kit. If I went with an Aeris I honk I’d have to sell my bike and buy a complete Bird as the standards are so different to my current bike.

poah
    Free Member

Nice thing about the patrol is the standard sizes of everything, no boost, threaded BB,142 rear but like you say it’s expensive.

I have a suppressor and it’s awesome but I got it when the frames where only 1500. If you check out bike active they had 10% off with a headset fitted.

joebristol

I do like the idea of more standard things – the Bird has boost and a metric shock -which makes swapping harder, and if that rear shock goes pop coukd it be tricky / take a while to get a replacement?

Any opinions on the Nukeproof Mega 275?

poah
    Free Member

looks a good frame numbers wise. I think what ever frame you get you’ll be happy.

have you a list of what you can and can’t swap over.

patrol will take a stealth post

rob8624
    Free Member

I had a similar problem when choosing a new bike.

On the shortlist…NP mega, Transition, Nomad C, Capra etc etc

Went for the Airdrop V2.

chiefgrooveguru

I do like the idea of more standard things – the Bird has boost and a metric shock -which makes swapping harder, and if that rear shock goes pop coukd it be tricky / take a while to get a replacement?

I wouldn’t worry about that, their service is second to none!

mark90
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about that, their service is second to none!

+1

When I’ve had to warranty a component on my Bird. Posted the old one on Monday, new replacement arrived wednesday or thursday. No issues with the Bird just the usual big brand products fitted to many bikes.

Really aspiring to the Patrol at the moment – but it is expensive

Airdrop appears very similar to a Patrol. Not ridden a Patrol to see how they actually compare.

If second hand is an option there’s a couple of old Aeris for sale on the Bird owners fb group. Can get you details if interested. Though on balance the new Bird bikes are probably better value if budget stretches to a new full build.

marksnook
    Free Member

I have a process 153 and live in dursley, so not far from bristol. You are welcome to have a go if you fancy

I love it, pedals uphill ok flys down and wants to leave the ground constantly. In a good way!

joebristol

Thanks for the offer – Kona Process gets good write ups. Only thing is no frame only option as far as I’m aware. If you buy a whole bike I think Kona is often expensive for what you get – Orange seem to be the same.

I work for a bank – so it would seem the right thing to do to make a spreadsheet for comparative purposes! Got to see how frame + fork stacks up compared to full bike and selling my current one. Also to compare different standards on components and what will fit what.

marksnook
    Free Member

Winstanleys have a process 153 for 2000 at the minute. Reckon you could sell off either your bike or the parts from the kona you don’t want an it becomes a very cheap option. Offer stands if you want to test it

br
    Free Member

A pal had a Process, it was a rather lardy thing.

joebristol

2 conflicting views there – lardy as in heavy / or hard work pedalling?

Probably not quite ready to buy a new bike yet – will save up for a little while longer before making the jump.

That process does look a great deal for £2k though. I’m not sure what the wheels are like, but the only parts that jump out as really cheap are the brakes. Deore on what would have been a £3k bike?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Coming from a 2011 Pitch Pro, I test rode an Aeris 145 – bought one 😉

marksnook
    Free Member

It is fairly weighty but then so am I! I figured I would just have to get fitter! Granted the brakes came off for some zee stoppers, they worked fine for a bit though

joebristol

Just stuck a pair of Deore on my play / commuter hardtail. They stop ok if a bit abruptly. Levers just feel very cheap compared to the guide rs’ on my Boardman. Best brakes I’ve ever used.

jamj1974

Really aspiring to the Patrol at the moment – but it is expensive. It’s not I don’t have the cash, it’s justifying spending so much! Want to keep most of the cash I’m sat on as a ‘just in case’ something happens on the house or we need something for the baby

I totally understand. I only mentioned the expense as cost was cropping up a lot as a constraint.

joebristol

It’s a fair point on the transition – think £1800 for frame and shock in its own which is quite expensive. Compared to say the Airdrop which is a few hundred pounds cheaper than that with a Pike thrown in.

marksnook
    Free Member

Is weight that much of an issue generally? Just looked at some figures and a full carbon patrol (9k build) comes in at 13kg and my process seems to come in around 14.7kg. Granted that heavier but I could loose some of that by taking a shit before I ride! Do people generally worry that much about weight?!

goyawave
    Free Member

Transition Carbon here Joe, in hindsight I don’t need the Carbon and would probably have gone airdrop as same geometry. My times were bout 10% slower than the whyte last weekend so don’t discount it!

joebristol

Which Whyte goyawave? T-130 or g160?

I’m not too worried about Strava times – I just want to be having the most fun possible going downhill and still be able to drag my sorry behind up the hill on non uplift days. Cwmcarn Cafell / Twych probably being the worst hills I’ve got to get up. Have done Afan once but it’s a bit far away for a trip out when I have a baby in fairness (and I didn’t enjoy going up the big hill last time – had to get off and push at one point!

joebristol

I’m definitely looking at alloy frames rather than carbon – not just based on cost (although that’s definitely a factor) – but also on crash damage etc. Got a carbon racer and I wouldn’t fancy throwing that on the floor. Probably a baseless idea as alloy can get damaged too, but it’s just how I feel.

jamj1974

I’ve owned carbon bikes for the last 10 years. I would say (Touch wood) that they are more durable than alloy equivalents. My old Enduro had multiple crashes and strikes from large flying stones etc. None left a mark let alone a chip or crack. I’m hoping my Patrol Carbon is as durable (Please!!!).

jamj1974

I agree with the Strava thing Joe. I measure my rides in terms of the number of grins! I was interested in times when racing and training XC. Not now.

joebristol

You’re probably right with the carbon thing – it’s just me being illogically nervous about them. Although I have a mate who absolutely destroyed the back end of a Cannondale enduro carbon fs. Didn’t sound like a huge crash.

I’m never going to be the quickest uphill – as well as lack of talent I’ve got a lack of time to build fitness up. Downhill I go as quick as I can – but again a lack of talent and practice (and bottle) will hold me back!

Just saw another thread asking about the YT Capra – sounds like that might be a bit too DH orientated for me and it sounds really heavy. I think I prefer the idea of getting a bike from an Lbs or British manufacturer. Transition are sold by a shop at FOD so might try and have a look at a Patrol there.

jamj1974

Keep us posted on what you demo and enjoy. I don’t change bikes very often – so it’s great of to hear of the choices others make!

joebristol

Will do. So far ideally I’ll try a Patrol, an Aeris 145 and an Airdrop Edit v2. If I can also try a Nukeproof 275 I will. Curious about the Capra, but the support from a direct retailer slightly puts me off and it sounds heavy / a bit too DH orientated.

andykentos
    Free Member

I have just sold my capra comp 1 for a reign advanced 1, i wouldnt say the capra iis heavy by any means. Id say it maybe slightly has the edge on the reign downhill or i just need more time to get used to the reign. Reign feels a more capable all round bike.

Have you considered a reign? I think they do quite a reasonably prices XT/fox equipped alloy model, the 1.5ltd i believe. Might be continental Europe but easy enough to get one shipped over.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/de/reign-1dot5-ltd

davosaurusrex

If the Capra is too much what about the Jeffsy 27.5?

Onzadog
    Free Member

The airdrop v1 and v2 have the same geometry and kinematics. There are subtle differences like cable routing, graphics and seat tube length but it test ride terms, I’d say crack on with the test ride.

RustyNissanPrairie

I forgot to do my blatant sales pitch! I have a brand new box fresh Cannondale Jekyll frame and shockfor sale, wanting £500, it’s a 20″ /XL size though.

joebristol

Yes Jeffsy 27.5 might be worth a look – albeit boost rear end (but standard front). Would need a new back wheel if I did frame / fork rather than a while bike.

joebristol

20″ Jekyl would be too big I’m afraid. I’m 5’9 with short arms! Currently on the middle sized Boardman Pro Fs and couldn’t go any bigger.

joebristol

Dropped onto leisure lakes in cheltenham today – some really nice bikes and good staff.

Think the Santa Cruz and Orange options are too expensive. The Whyte g160 looked great and they had a cube stereo 160 which had good spec for the money – although I don’t know much about it.

davosaurusrex

Do YT do frame only? Don’t think they do but if you do want a Boost frame you can always used a boostinator spacer kit or similar. I just did the same, the shop I bought the frame from (Evolution in Eastbourne, top lads) re-dished the wheel for gratis

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Short list of enduro bikes to consider?’ is closed to new replies.