Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Short chain, MTB
  • All-On-Black
    Free Member

Just fitted a new chain and cassette to my yeti for tomorrow’s race.. but the same thing has happened that happened when I last replaced them, the chain came up too short.

Has anyone else had trouble with 2×10 chain lengths? Seems to me that the big rings + two links doesn’t work?

Which is a pain in the rear end as I now have to buy more quick links to add a small section..!

Scapegoat

How so, too short? As long as there is a noticeable curve as the chain goes through the rear mech cage on big-big the chain is OK. I found if anything that big to big plus two is too long for a double setup…. the mech folded so far back on itself at small-small that I had to take another link out.

PaulD
    Free Member

Did you take into account the suspension travel effectively lengthening the chainstays?

I have found the instructions with Shimano and SRAM to use big+big and 2 rivets (1 complete link) with the suspension at its longest always works regardless of the derailleur model/cage.

New chains are usually 114 or 116 links, and I have never needed more than 112 with 44-34 big-big.

PaulD

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Short chain, MTB’ is closed to new replies.