Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Short autumnal cycle tour inspiration needed.
  • scruff9252

Planning on going on a short cycle tour during the mid to term holidays in a couple of weeks; take in some of Scotland’s autumnal colours before winter kicks in properly.

Current thinking is train to Oban, cycle to Tobermorry (good pub with open fire!) Then hop over to Ardnamurchan, cycle to corran and stay at the inn there with a very short cycle following day back to Fort William then train home.

Due to late in season and dubious weather, I would prefer short days (4-5 hours max) in the saddle with a cozy pub with open fire for the evenings.

Question being, do you have better suggestions for a few days away?

IHN

Not Scotland, but we did the Yorkshire Dales cycleway, which is exactly what you describe.

bikebouy
    Free Member

IHN has a great idea, I did two days as part of another ride over that way and it was ace.

Scotland sounds good though but I’ve no idea about the areas you mention.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’m doing Coasts and Castles from Newcastle to Edinburgh, staying in pubs.

scotroutes

I’ve been looking at almost that exact route, but starting and ending at Fort William and doing it anti-clockwise. I was thinking two days, with an overnight stop at Craignure. It’s all lovely roads, other than the Onich – Fort William bit that you’d be skipping.

imnotverygood

I’ve done that exact route, OP (although I cycled from FW to Oban via Lismore). It was a few years ago, but I seem to remember it as a being a lovely little tour.

scruff9252

Great stuff. Now just to convince the other half she won’t be freezing cold and miserable for a couple of days…

trail_rat
    Free Member

plus one for your proposed routes.

Word up though – be careful on a sunday. Mull is the start of the islands that adhere to sabbath non or VERY short opening hours…..dont ask me how i know that one !

How long have you got ?

I highly recommend the train to fort william then head towards strontian and take the left hand turn before the loch to lochaline – nice roads over the hills.

Worth a trip to iona – look at the colour of the water. Wouldnt fancy a trip to fingles cave just now though – not that itll be running id imagine – itll be choppy …. but its worth a trip in the summer !

then the weather got angry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Short autumnal cycle tour inspiration needed.’ is closed to new replies.