Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • shooting nuisance pigeons – technical question
  • Joe

8) I enjoyed that. And just shot a pigeon to celebrate. Right out my office window…where i’m still not doing any work.

brakes
    Free Member

Thanks Joe – do you have an air rifle I could borrow?

gwj72
    Free Member

Get a reputation in the local area for fiddling with pigeons. Word soon spreads and they’ll go shit elsewhere rather than risk being touched up.

mt
    Free Member

Try a dummy Owl in the tree, works quite well on some birds. I’d still shoot the odd one purely because fried pidgeon breast on bed of wild rocket dressed with a little balsamic vinegar is ace.

brakes
    Free Member

how do I get the owl into the tree?

pictonroad

I agree with Joe, people have got other stuff to worry about. No-one will give a sh1t what you’re up to as long as you’re not actually breaking their windows.

Kill them.

Kill them all.

gusamc
    Free Member

you have a potential potential business opportunity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19190364

brakes
    Free Member

who needs Turkey Twizzlers when you can have Baker’s Pigeon Pretzels!

MrTall
    Free Member

In my experience the Police won’t do a damn thing about pellets falling outside your property.

When i called the police out when the nice local Pikeys were shooting an air rifle out of their garden (straight through a bush so that the pellets were hitting my house as i was in the garage with the door up) they turned up, wandered around a bit to give the scrotes time to put all the evidence away, went and had a word with them and then came and told me that ‘if they do it again we’ve told them we might conviscate their gun’. I was less than impressed.

Luckily their gun was rubbish as i had a perfect pellet imprint on one of my windows but it obviously wasn’t powerful enough to break it.
    Next time i won’t call the Police but will return fire with my two old Weirauchs (Made in West Germany!) which are both at the legal limit acording to my neighbour who had them both tested recently. Not bad after being in a wardrobe unused for the last 7+ years.

I’m guessing the police wouldn’t afford me the same privilege as the pikeys though.

Oh, and just tempt the pigeons down to the ground and get rid of them. If you’re anywhere near Brum you’re welcome to borrow my air rifles.

brakes
    Free Member

Cheers MrTall, but I’m in North London.

Clong
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, i wouldn’t shoot with the point of aim in the air, but it would depend on where it is. Out in the middle of no where, no problem. In middle of housing estate, probably not.

If you do go down that route, talk to the neighbours as air rifles can look like full on sniper rifles to the less informed.

You can pick up a SMK XS78 for around £99 including a scope if you shop around, but generally not available mail order. Its a very cheap rifle, runs on CO2 canisters and usually under powered out of the box at around 9 ft/lbs which should be more than enough for pigeons at 20 yards or so. Provided you aren’t shooting in massively varying temperatures, there are accurate and consistent.

Make sure the rifle is below the legal limit of 12 ft/lbs. Its the owners or users responsibility to make sure it complies, even if it has just been bought from a dealer and still in its box. As far as the law is concerned, i don’t believe there is any distinction between an rifle that is over the limit or a assault rifle. The other issue is that its a bit woolly as to how the police determine whether an air rifle is over the limit or not. For instance, i have a AA S400 that is set up with AA field pellets and maintains 11.5 consistently. With bisley mag pellets it will go up to 11.8 ft lbs. In a police check, they will use whatever pellet they can to get the highest reading, all they have to prove is that the rifle is capable of going over the legal limit. This is assuming the police check this at all, there is an ongoing incident with a competition match shooter that has had his rifles confiscated and facing prosecution as they are over the limit by .2 ftlb.

As for accuracy, i can get pellet on pellet at 35-40 yards and i’m no competition shooter. PCP rifles are very accurate with the right pellet. Springers are just as accurate, but need a bit more practice.

Re: hollowpoints: Fine if your range is less than 25 yard, but beyond that they can get unpredictable i find. They don’t really do much anyway, the pellets are subsonic so i don’t see them doing anything more than a diablo shaped pellet on a live target. Good for punching holes in paper targets though..

woffle
    Free Member

you could do what my neighbour does for the rats that infest his chicken runs; put down a peanut butter sandwich and then sit stock still in a ghillie suit for hours with his shotgun at the ready. Our evenings are intermittently disturbed by a louder than usual BANG – his aged brother does his cartridges for him and has started to get the mix wrong, every now and again he puts far too much powder in…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

As far as the law is concerned, i don’t believe there is any distinction between an rifle that is over the limit or a assault rifle.

Over 12 ft/lbs air rifle is Section 1 (i.e. can be legally held on an FAC by a general member of public), an assualt rifle would be Section 5 (and as far as I know only one Section 5 licence has been granted to a member of public, all others are firearms dealers, armourers, etc.)

brakes
    Free Member

UPDATE: pigeons pooing (and cooing) less frequently (one poo in 4days) due to prolific banging of broom shank on garden table at roosting time #scaredshitless

Rockhopper
    Free Member

True TuckerUK but as far as possessing either weapon without the correct licence goes the penalty would be the same.

brakes
    Free Member

UPDATE: pigeons seem to have gone for now due to persistent and demented scare-tactics, and cutting back my raspberry bushes and therefore removing their colourful food source

brakes
    Free Member

still no pigeons.
    can I start to celebrate yet?

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘shooting nuisance pigeons – technical question’ is closed to new replies.