Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Shoes with toes, what are they called?
  • wombat

As the title really.

I saw a chap at the weekend with a pair or what looked like wetsuit material shoes with rubber soles that had individual toe bits….a bit like rubber gloves for your feet.

Anyone know what they're called and if they're comfy?

tragically1969
    Free Member

vibram five fingers

thepurist

Five Fingers

Friend of mine had them on last week – said they were quite soft so you could feel lumps & bumps under your feet, but that they were quite comfy. Pricy though…

iDave
    Free Member

wombat

Brilliant, thanks

samuri
    Free Member

lol at iDave!

IanMunro
    Free Member

That looks disturbingly like me running.
    As well as VFFs, good old British firm inov8 are allegedly selling foot condoms next year.

aracer
    Free Member

As well as VFFs, good old British firm inov8 are allegedly selling foot condoms next year.

Not really very surprising – they've always been advocates of letting your feet do their own natural thing by not having too much support in your shoes.

molgrips
    Free Member

They look sweaty…

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I don't get it. What's the point?

highclimber
    Free Member

they allow for barefoot running with a reduced risk of cutting yourself and improved traction. personally they only place I would go barefoot running is on a beach where I wouldn't need these – you wouldn't catch me dead wearing those things!

IanMunro
    Free Member

They look sweaty…
    They do.
    However you can get breathable silicon. No idea if these have it or how breathable it is though.

nedrapier

inov8 need to do some cosmetic work on those before they release, I think!

I'm all for function over form, but there are limits!

coffeeking
    Free Member

This is the biggest issue for me, they look hot and sweaty, all of them.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

That just looks wrong. So very wrong. 😆

hilldodger
    Free Member

I don't get it. What's the point?

They make you look special…

IanMunro
    Free Member

This is the biggest issue for me, they look hot and sweaty, all of them.
    The ones i've got have got leather uppers which I guess is pretty breathable. Did 18 miles in em last sunday, which was a pretty warm day, without any sweat issues. Mind you, I did take the precaution of spraying my feet with anti-perspirant before hand 🙂

nicko74

Those innov8 ones look like the kind of footwear a flasher would wear, if he wanted footwear that illustrated what he does for a hobby…

finbar
    Free Member

How is jamming your toes in clunky individual coverings more like going barefoot than having a normal shoe with a roomy toebox? Just wondering like.

nedrapier

The sole is very thin, offering abrasion protection rather than cushioning, which forces you to run differently.

You can't take big extended strides with heel strikes like you would in a normal trainer, so you run in a way that's more "natural" and kinder to your joints and muscles.

I guess having the toes seperate lets you use your toes individually for traction, and builds up muscles you wouldn't use otherwise. Biggest benefit is the first one, though. Apparently.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Maybe good for on the beach and swimming in the sea where there's rocks, seaweed and scary crabs?

joemarshall
    Free Member

I once met a crazy fell runner guy who used to do barefoot (actualy barefoot, no funny shoes) runs up Munros in Scotland. Apparently it was good for your feet and for your running in general. He was a bit of a nutter though.

I guess there isn't much broken glass to cut your feet on up the average Munro though.

Joe

finbar
    Free Member

Cheers nedrapier, actually i'm just playing devil's adovcate though – i tried a pair of Vibram's on but as my toes are freakishily long and i have a bunion on my big toe they don't fit at all. I do have a pair of Terra Nova vivo barefoot shoes though which are nice.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Maybe good for on the beach and swimming in the sea where there's rocks, seaweed and scary crabs?

I'd be interested in knowing how they are for swimming – I always end up either having to do shoe drops, or having to run a couple of miles barefoot back to my bike after river swims. It'd be handy to be able to wear the same shoes for swimming and running.

Joe

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My cousin has some and runs a lot – he's given up on them.

I recommend Inov8s for no frills hardcore trail running. Almost no padding but they are super light and ventilate well.

My Asics I used for a race last week are definitely a bit hot so might get some more Inov8s (got mudclaws – great in serious mud and shale).

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I really like running in my vff's – have transformed my style into something far more efficient and light on my feet – speed's gone up too. even on pavements they're fine.

finbar
    Free Member

/off topic/

Joemarshall, ages ago i asked you about outdoor swimming and you pointed me towards the Derwent at the bottom of Froggatt. I went on Sunday – great fun, freezing cold though!

/off topic/

donald
    Free Member

jika tabi

molgrips
    Free Member

I really like running in my vff's – have transformed my style into something far more efficient and light on my feet – speed's gone up too. even on pavements they're fine

You can do this without VFFs tho, as I did 🙂

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Well done.

I'm sure you can, but hey, I've got these.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Joemarshall, ages ago i asked you about outdoor swimming and you pointed me towards the Derwent at the bottom of Froggatt. I went on Sunday – great fun, freezing cold though!

At Chatsworth? Or higher up?

Nice swims anyway. I'm hopefully off to Chatsworth on Saturday to celebrate my wedding anniversary, weather permitting I'll be getting a swim in for sure.

If you happen to be coming from the South, the Derwent at Eyes Meadow in Duffield is well worth a go too – get in at the pipe bridge (either jump or scramble down the bank), go down river, over the rapids (stay river right on the rapids) then get out where there is a fallen tree in the middle of the river, about 500m along the river, only 250m back on land across the bend (or you can get out further down, just past the bridge – about 1km swim, if you don't mind a half mile walk barefoot). Went there for a quick lunchtime swim yesterday, it was nice, toasty warm water, if a bit busy with kids who had just finished their GCSEs.

Joe

finbar
    Free Member

Higher up – i got in at the bridge right at the bottom of Froggatt. It's got high trees on both sides so i guess it never warms up much. Good fun though. I'll give the spot in Duffield a go, thanks for the map.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I think they'd be all the rage in Mordor.

hels
    Free Member

Woman Repellers ??

IanMunro
    Free Member

You'd be suprised. I've had loads of (ok, two) women come and wiggle my toes when I've been wearing them 🙂

Drac

personally they only place I would go barefoot running is on a beach where I wouldn't need these

Oh really?

nickc

So it's like running barefoot, only you're not…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Mr Munro, your fetishes precede you sir!

rootes1

just image if you stood on a dog egg in them – turd between the toes..

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Shoes with toes, what are they called?’ is closed to new replies.