Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shoes – what's good?
  • uplink
    Free Member

Need to replace my current MTB shoes, Shimano something or other – not sure as the label has worn away

Anyway, don’t really want uber stiff racing slippers, although I quite like my Sidi road shoes so I may get some MTB Sidis but they look a bit extreme for those occasions when you’re walking [not that often TBH]

Been looking at Lake MX 165, anyone tried ’em – any other recommendations?
    £100 ish

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

are you desperate to spend £100 or want features that price might offer? My last pair of diadora chilis lasted 12 years and only died when I hit a rock hard enough to tear the front and side (and nearly take my toe off).

Just bought a new pair so was thrilled to see CRC doing them for 30 quid (limited sizes but various ebay shops doing em for similar price).

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’ll be wanting some of these then.

They’re dead comfy, plenty stiff and with a very grippy sole for those pushing up overly muddy climb moments. Shimano M161’s 8)

Sizing is also pretty good, I take a UK 10 and got a pair of 45’s fine with summer socks or winter woolly ones due to the straps offering loads of adjustment

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spesh Tahoe

uplink
    Free Member

are you desperate to spend £100

hell, no – it’s just at the point where I won’t wince, but then again I may buy the Sidis 🙂
    Chilis? – maybe

Shimano M161 – do they come in just black? – not sure I like the zebra skin effect but that’s the sort of thing

uplink
    Free Member

Spesh Tahoe

Good shoes – maybe

stumpy01

I got some Shimano M086 a month or two ago & have been impressed so far.

Quite meshy at the front so expect them to be a bit chilly in the winter.

uplink
    Free Member

Not bothered about the Winter, these are for next year really
    found some Shimano M182s for £70 that look interesting

13thfloormonk

I bought some Mavic Switchbacks for much the same features. Lightweight upper, neat lacing system, but rugged vibram (or similar) sole, perfect for the hike-a-bike moments.

As an aside, I’m selling a pair of size 43 because I stupidly bought too small 😳

tommytowtruck

I really rate my Shimano M161s.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mavic shoes are waaay narrow. Tried a pair of Alpines a while back. Lovely shoe, but very narrow.

13thfloormonk

Less so than Shimanos I thought, didn’t find them too dis-similar to Specialized, except of course that mine were one size too small.

Basil

I got the Mavic Switchbacks last Xmas.
    Best shoe I’ve had so far. Rigid enough and plenty of grip when “running up hills”. Like the ballistic lace thing as well

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shoes – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.