Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shoes to prevent Heel Lift?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Seem to have a bit of a problem with heel lift on the road bike. Never really noticed it so much when mountain biking, but now I’m doing a bit more on the road, I’ve started to notice it. Thing is, I think my feet are a bit of an odd shape… Quite pronounced arches, very narrow heels, but wider at the front than you might expect. Shimano shoes tend to fit well at the front but be too loose on the heel.

What would you recommend? Tried some SIDI’s on the other day, felt perfect round the heel, but a bit narrow at the front. They’re also big bucks!

Baznav
    Free Member

Sidi tend to feel like that new they take time to fit your foot well but when they do their great, however don’t buy them on my sayso 😆

bryan-g-

I will second that. I have Sidi Dragon 3 and appart from being most comfortable they feel like your heel is glued in place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have similar issues, only ever used shimano tho but noticed that my last disco slipper types were loose at the heal.

I got some of the more hiking style lace up mtb shoes and they fit a lot better and are just as stiff.

grahamg
    Free Member

I have to ask…. are you pulling your foot back towards the heel and making sure you get the top strap tightened very firmly? Then just adjust the other straps nearer toe for comfort (i.e. to allow wiggle room)?

In addition to the above comments, see if you can try sidi mega (wide fit) – the heel cup shape should be identical but the last is wider at the toe box.

I’ve recently been on the quest for the best possible fitting shoes, given that I have wide feet I just gave up in shops and ordered about 6 pairs of various brands online to try (god bless ‘collect+’ returns!) – so much better to try them all at home comprehensively to compare to current pair and try the different brands side by side.

MSP

I have the same problem, got some bont shoes recently and they are fantastic, warm them up in the oven and mold them to the shape of your foot, Lake also do some heat moldable shoes.

They are both expensive options, the bont’s are incredibly stiff and light, 300 quid for a pair of cycling shoes is a price to baulk at, but I have wasted far more than that on shoes that just don’t work out. I liked them so much I have also ordered the mountain biking shoes.

I also use sole moldable insoles, which form a proper shaped heel cup and help even more.

MSP

are you pulling your foot back towards the heel and making sure you get the top strap tightened very firmly?

That just creates another problem, and more pain.

daveh
    Free Member

Would shoes with the boa lacing system (and the ratchet placed at the back) help?

aP
    Free Member

I’ve always used sidi road shoes but for some reason over the last couple of years they’re being sold for ridiculous money. I bought some bont shoes about 2 months ago to replace my 6 year old techno shoes which have done lots of miles. They’re very, very fitted and have a much wider toe box than anything else on the market. Amazinly, even in sigma in Hamlton Wick they’re cheaper than sidi.

bryan-g-

I think if sidi had the same boa closure as specialized they would be the best fitting shoes you could get.

sillyoldman

Try Giros – great heel cup fit.

mboy
    Free Member

I have to ask…. are you pulling your foot back towards the heel and making sure you get the top strap tightened very firmly? Then just adjust the other straps nearer toe for comfort (i.e. to allow wiggle room)?

Doing up the straps just cuts the blood off to my feet, causing another problem I don’t really want! Shimano shoes are very comfy for me, but they are a bit loose around the heel.

Would love to be able to afford the option of some Bont’s or the like, but too much money. Even SIDI’s at trade (I work in a shop) are mega money in my eyes. Been looking at the Suplest shoes that CRC have at the moment cos they’re supposed to be roomy in the toe box, but then again I don’t have wide feet at all, just that they’re narrow at the heel but less so at the front. Also, anyone know how Diadora’s fit? CRC have those cheap again at the moment.

mboy
    Free Member

Would shoes with the boa lacing system (and the ratchet placed at the back) help?

Possibly. Are they Specialized only though?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shoes to prevent Heel Lift?’ is closed to new replies.