Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shoes for flats ? Thoughts please !
  • cakefacesmallblock

Until recently I’ve ben riding Gusset Slim Jim mag pedals, which work well and are easy to keep serviced. I’ve ridden them for ages with a pair of Merrel approach shoes which by total coincidence just grip and have worked well. The shoes are now somewhat trashed and I need to move on. I often have to ride in wet / muddy conditions ( not just this summer (?) ).
    What’s the verdict on 5.10s or Tevas ? Am drawn to 5.10 Impacts, right now.
    The pedals will soldier on for a while, but may get swapped out for maybe Superstar Nanos.

Rickos
    Free Member

5.10’s are great shoes, but take ages to dry out. If I ride on a Wednesday and then again at the weekend they’re usually still wet. Tevas apparently have some hydrophobic stuff, so dry out quicker but don’t grip pedals quite so well. Depends if you want the uber grip of 5 10 or prefer being able to move your foot a little, I suppose.

nols
    Free Member

Teva or the Shimano AM ones. Have both and like them equally – seem to like the shimanos for xc duties more.

ton

had 5/10s in the past…fantastic until wet.
    got teva’s now….far better, far comfier, wash em with a hose after a muddy ride and dry enough to wear for work/leisure next morning.

_tom_
    Free Member

Any Vans or Nike shoes with a stiff sole will be fine.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

5:10 basics are the best shoes ime – i have used Impacts and freeriders plus the shimano offerings. The basics win due to the canvas fabric, ok it gets wet but it dries dead quick. If you can find them anywhere buy them!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Shimano AMs here. Not quite as sticky as Five10s, but thinner sole (I like) and actually designed to work better in sh!tty conditions as opposed to acting like a sponge.

A week in Morzine saw no pedal slips, so I’m happy with ’em.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for flats ? Thoughts please !’ is closed to new replies.