Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shoes for Flat Pedals that don’t act as a sponge
  • Ewan
    Free Member

I’m going riding round Skye and I suspect I’ll have to do a few stream crossings… I currently ride with flats and Nike Whistler shoes – which are comfy but act like a big sponge (days to dry out).

Does anyone know of any flats shoes that dry quickly?

thomthumb
    Free Member

crocs? 🙂

i just wear waterproof socks.

tomlevell

Old Skool Vans in canvas.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wear some light hiking boots when Im riding and they keep my feet dry, plus they only cost about £25 from a Windsors world of shoes. They also grip quite well too

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

i noticed at work the other day that shimano do spd compatable sandals!! haha

Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought about Canvas Vans but figured they’d not be stiff for pedaling – am I mistaken?

Xan
    Free Member

Can you not buy SPD shoes and not fit the cleets? an nice pair of Gore Tex ones??? Or am I being stupid??

The Spesh shoes I have, had a full walking boot style sole where there was a cut out but to fit the cleets into.

Chase
    Free Member

Can you not buy SPD shoes and not fit the cleets?

I thought the same when I bought some Specialized Sawpit boots. I was wrong. The combination of the hard compound of the rubber and the rigid sole meant they were rubbish on flat pedals.

Xan
    Free Member

Oh well. Ignore me then. Was just a thought.

chase bet you kicked yourself after that one??

steve_b77
    Free Member

how about some Merrell Goretex shoes with Vibram soles.

You can use them again afterwards for non-cycling activities.

YOu can also get karrimore ones from Sports Direct (non gortex but with grippy sole) for £17 at the moment!!

Chase
    Free Member

Xan. Sure did.

wwaswas

Vibram soles are pretty crap on flat pedals, ime – nowhere near ‘sticky’ enough – they just slide across the pins if they’re wet.

hp_source

I ride in a pair of salomon ‘walking’ shoes, they’re pretty grippy on a pair of V8’s and they’ve got a pretty water resistant top half.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

shimano mp-66’s come i a flat version, never tried it though.

My element townsend’s are quite unpadded, just the togue and heal cup. The resit s a laye of lether on the outside and a mesh inner.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I bought a set of Addidas Berms the other day. They’re nice and light an dry quickly although they do also get wet quickly. I normally use 5:10’s and notice a big drop in grip. All in all they’re OK I’d say but I don’t LOVE them but use them a lot if it’s wet because I know they’ll be dry again in the morning whereas my 5:10’s will be wet for a week!

lister

my old airwalks are waterproof after I spilt half a tin of outdoor wood varnish on them…after thinking I’d killed them it transpires that I’ve created fantastic biking shoes.
    Sure the outside of the shoes feels a little rough and hard, but my toes stay dry for much longer than usual…I’m going to repeat the ‘accident’ on purpose with an old pair of Vans to see if this idea needs patenting… 😉

theginjaninja
    Free Member

The shimano ones with the covers over the laces are ace.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for Flat Pedals that don’t act as a sponge’ is closed to new replies.