• This topic has 47 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Si.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Shoes for flat pedals?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

whats good apart from super expensive 5:10s. Will normal Duffs skate shoes be ok?

nina
    Free Member

just get some 5 10s

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Shimno MP56, AM40 or MP90. All at good prices @ Merlin

fingerbike
    Free Member

Just buy 5 10’s you wont regret it…
    Shimano shoes are good for grip as are vans with the waffle soles, neither really compare to the locked in effect of the 5 10s though IMO…

Tracey

Got fed up with having wet feet with my five tens. So Ive bought a cheep pair of Hitec waterproof boots £16 from Macro and have had 5 10 stealh rubber soles £35 fitted to them. Was awsome on the trails with them yesterday, same grip but no wet feet

Tracey

Duffs should be fine.

Vans and Nike 6.0 are good too.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Yep…just buy 5 10’s they’ll not only work better than owt else but they’ll out last skate shoes 3 fold.

MrNutt
    Free Member

flip flops

racing_ralph
    Free Member

5:10s are an expensive experiment!!

jam-bo

no one I know who has tried 5:10’s has ever bought anything else subsequently.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Its just that i have jsut bought shimano winter boots (spd) and also mp66 (spd) but got some cheap 50/50s so want to try em out to see how good they are

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

How cheap/where from?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

£15 off here

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

£15! How? Whats wrong with them?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

nothing – included a set of new pins (in the box)

mark_b
    Free Member

Waffle soled Vans from Tk-Max at £20 a go works for me – and they even do size 15’s 😀

Lanesra
    Free Member

I bought these from Sports Direct

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/SD/PID-Karrimor+Summit+Leather-180073.aspx

No slippage at all

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TKMax skate shoes, at £15 a pop you cant go wrong.

Just bear in mind it takes a few rides to bed the soles in, the rubber starts off realy hard and slippy, but softens over a few hours use.

Tried KSB’s but they didn’t have the same levels of grip and the soles were too thins so got cut through by the pins fairly quickly.

PinkOrange5
    Free Member

5-10’s

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how do 5:10s answer this question?

racing_ralph – Member

whats good apart from super expensive 5:10s

goog
    Free Member

get sum of those new Shimano jobbies that I’ve got

twang
    Free Member

You’re gonna need 5:10’s with those 50 50’s RR, they aint the grippiest flat

DustyLilac
    Free Member

You’re gonna need 5:10’s with those 50 50’s RR, they aint the grippiest flat

Long pins, or better still grub screws if you’ve got them, 3 front, 3 rear, 1 on the outside. My 5:10s sometimes get stuck on the pins, so a slightly less grippy shoe will do fine I reckon.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

goog are they the white Am ones? if so i may just do that, teach me to jump?

goog
    Free Member

goog are they the white Am ones? if so i may just do that, teach me to jump?

they are indeedy the AM ones and if you wanna learn to jump you’ll have to come to Brum and stay wiv the witch 😐

I’ll take you up Sutton/Cannock for some tuition 8)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

down on sunday but would be in touble if i went out!!Are you working on Thursday? We are off to CYB or llandegla if you 2 fancy it

jonb
    Free Member

I just wear a cheap pair of trainers, my feet don’t slip, never had any trouble. Flatter the sole the better.

I used to use Merrels which where very good but too expensive given the abuse they get.

adstick
    Free Member

Having recently bought 5:10s after using skate shoes for years I can confirm…

Skate shoes will work fine! In my experience Es, Emerica and Etnies last best. Just make sure you go for one with a fairly stiff midsole and a close, even tread. There are BMX models too if you can find some.

5:10s are good but they’re fugly, and dare I say it, sometimes too grippy. I’m not convinced I’d buy them again when you can find nice skate shoes for half the price.

nina
    Free Member

just buy some 5.10s

goog
    Free Member

nina – Member

just buy some 5.10s

and look more of a spaz than he alread is ?

8)

Swiftacular
    Free Member

adidas Berms are good for summer, useless in the wet though.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

adstick –

5:10s are good but they’re fugly, and dare I say it, sometimes too grippy. I’m not convinced I’d buy them again when you can find nice skate shoes for half the price.

First time I’ve ever read anyone who has actually tried 5 10s dismissing them, though for pretty stupid reasons. I think grip, protection , waterproofing and longevity outweigh the appearance. Anyway if you’re worried about how you look, choose another sport.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

are they waterproof?

GW
    Free Member

sound like adstick can actually ride flats properly 😉

..and GNAR GNAR, why dress up like a clown to ride a bike in a muddy forest?
    it’s only a Sport if you compete, and even then it’s not compulsory to wear ugly clothing.

adstick
    Free Member

I like nice looking riding kit, you don’t, who cares.

Having ridden flat pedals for years on both bmx and mountain bike I stand by my too grippy comments. Fine when it’s filthy wet or very rocky, but for a lot of riding I find I get more ‘feel’ from skate shoes. If you think that’s ‘stupid’ then so be it.

Clink

I would imagine (never used them mind) that the 5.10s are not waterproof and probably get soggy and heavy once wet. There seems to be a gap in the market for a technical (ie stiff, water-resistant) shoe for flats. Also the 5.10 sole is great on pedals and rock (from my climbing days) but lethal on wet grass mud. So this shoe/boot would also need a sole with more pronounced heal block for grip off the bike.

the_lecht_rocks

i’ve got 5:10’s and AM40’s.
    the 5:10 are a wider fit, but the sole has more flex , but better all-out grip.
    the AM40’s have a stiffer sole, same general grip, but it feels more plasticky. the sole pattern on the AM40 is good however , and pins slot in and stay in position due to the pattern’s tightness.

5:10’s are the safest bet if you’re new to flats, but a seasoned flat user will manage on most waffle styled soles.

adstick
    Free Member

Oh, and ‘what GW said’ 😉

adstick
    Free Member

See how my skate shoes don’t have enough grip…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.