• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shoes for flat big feet for flat pedals
  • Xylene
    Free Member

It’s my birthday soon and I’m going to treat myself to some new shoes for my bike.

I want something that I can use on my flats. I don’t use SPD’s and don’t plan to start.

I have massive boat like feet size 12’s and fairly wide. What is good to get that will fit?

rewski
    Free Member

If you can track down Shimano AM40’s I’d seriously go for those, I’m a wide footed 11 and they’re ace, super grippy and a nice lace flap that keeps you dry, I’ve heard Shimano have discontiued the AM40 and replaced it with the AM41 which IMO doesn’t look as good, might just be my taste. Danny Mac wear AM40s so must be good.

Happy Birthday 😀

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

They do come up small though.Normaly take a size 11 but went for a 12 and it fits me perfect.Only £53 at wiggle btw.

Xylene
    Free Member

Looks like I would need size 48’s

dexterbexley
    Free Member

I just got some sticky rubber vans in a 12. They come up smaller than normal vans but are pretty ace. £60ish at CRC.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Forget all the bike specific BS get down to sportsdirect.com and buy some karrimor trail event for £30-£40. They are the dogs, with vibram soles for hike-a-bike and the grip on flats is awesome.

jimjam
    Free Member

stavromuller

Forget all the bike specific BS get down to sportsdirect.com and buy some karrimor trail event for £30-£40. They are the dogs, with vibram soles for hike-a-bike and the grip on flats is awesome.

Strongly disagree with this totally bs post. Approach shoes, hiking boots etc, just awful on pedals.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Vans all the way.

Although Evans had a really good price on some Jimmy Levan signature edition flats recently.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Agree with jimjam, thick soled hiking boots are awful for riding flats. Shimano and Vans all the way for me (although 5.10s are raved about by almost everyone I ride with).

devs
    Free Member

5:10 impact 2 low. EoT!

big_scot_nanny

I have similar feet, 11/12 and wide. Finding comfortable shoes not easy (for work shoes I tend to have Clarks wide fitting or church wide for very smart.)

I have AM40s and also 5.10 impact lows. 5.10s are much more comfortablef with a wider fitting. AM40s are OK, but they are more narrow so I have to size up which makes them a. Little long and still a little neat. Fine with very thin socks but impossible with any winter socks.

other pros and cons
    AM40s: look OK, water kept out of shoe better than 5.10s, cooler than 5.10s (temp), not as attached to pedals as 510s. I have found the vibram sole is disintegrating around the pedal pins (normal welgo copies), which has made them pretty much useless now as too slidey on pedals.

5.10s look daft, but fit great, grip fabulously. They are a sponge for water, and they let most of it in also! very robust however.

HTH

kev

t-p26
    Free Member

What devs said. Properly comfortable too

devs
    Free Member

Impact 2s are not a sponge like the impact 1s were. I’ve been surprised how well they keep the water out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for flat big feet for flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.