• This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Shoes, Biking, hiking & general everyday, one pair for all is there such a thing
  • qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Looking for a pair of do it all shoes for a trip to the Alps this summer, really short on space in my camper so don’t really want to take loads of different pairs of “activity specific” shoes. Is there such a thing as a pair of low top lace up bike shoes that are stiff/grippy enough for a couple of days biking, but not too stiff and flat to use for a couple of days of light hiking and not to “bike looking” to use when out for a beer or wandering round the local sights (going with the wife so that really means trudging round the shops) I realise that one pair can’t be perfect for all 3 activities, and there will need to be some level of compromise but any suggestions for a jack of all trades ??

Thanks

colournoise

My usual answer to any ‘what shoes?’ thread.

If only Vans still made Gravels…

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the five ten tennie approach shoes which pretty much tick all those boxes as a compromise. Bit stiffer and more support than normal flat pedal shoes so good for some light walking but with the 5:10 stealth rubber dotty rubber does so plenty of grip on flats and like the look of them so often wear them to the pub. If you shop around you can often find them for c £70

http://www.fiveten.com/us/outdoor/approach/guide-tennie-base-green

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you ride flats then some 5-10 approach shoes.
    How small is this camper???

jam-bo

Five ten aescent

alexpalacefan

+1 for some approach shoes.

APF

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d buy a slightly bigger camper van!

What happens when it rains and your shoes get wet through?

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

How small is this camper???

Its small and there are five of us, 5 bikes, a boat and a dog 😉

Space is at a premium when travelling, no problem when we get there as we have a big awning.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol that’s not a camper it’s a large Estate car 😉 always think fail when you see a van with one bike rack let alone 2!

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

I’d buy a slightly bigger camper van!

What happens when it rains and your shoes get wet through
    We have booked 14 days of blue skies like last year so they won’t be getting wet 😀

For the record they are the best family holidays we have ever had.

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Lol that’s not a camper it’s a large Estate car always think fail when you see a van with one bike rack let alone 2!

Thats the whole idea of one, load it up to the max for the drive down, arrive up pack and set up camp and you are left with a car not much bigger than an MPV. Instead of some twin axled 10m long thing that you cant park anywhere, wont fit down country lanes and does less than 20 to the gallon.

Why is a bike rack on a van a ‘fail’ , way safer than inside or on the roof ???

onandon
    Free Member

Scarpa mojito are awesome shoes and pretty much perfect for what you have in mind.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why? How are they safer outside than in?

Instead of some twin axled 10m long thing that you cant park anywhere, wont fit down country lanes and does less than 20 to the gallon.

Plenty of actual vans do that, they are bigger take more stuff and fit just about everywhere. There is plenty in the middle ground if you can get past the VW love in 😉

epicyclo

I just wear cheap Hi-Tec walking shoes.

They last about a year or so before the pedals have ripped the soles and are comfortable enough for walking and a bit of scrambling, stiff enough for pedalling, and reasonably waterproof.

If I need them to look respectable they go in the washing machine.

£25 for my last pair. 🙂

callmetc
    Free Member

so long it’s not a wet day I like my Nike air trainer 2’s. nice flat grippy bottom.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Salomon x ultra gore Tex
    I use these for work, walking/hiking and on the MTB.. Plenty of grip, waterproof and not to stiff. Orthalite insoles, very comfy.
    Comes In loads of different colours.

Keva
    Free Member

or Merrells

jam-bo

Do merrels still have the anti-grip death slip soles?

clodhopper
    Free Member

My Merrel Moab GTX boots have fallen apart after a relatively short time. Comfortable, but poor quality. I wouldn’t buy that brand again. And they were never actually ‘waterproof’.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I had some merrell intercept gtx, really comfy, but they became flimsy after about a year.. Sole sqeaked in the wet as the air bubble popped.

I’ve worn my salomons everyday and still as good as new..

ampthill

I just ride my bike in walking boots or approach shoes all the time

I’d say 5.10 approach shoes is the answer

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Salomons or scarpas but disagree with ^ about grip, they are know pn as slippy Salomons for good reason as my wife showed this morning on some roots. Still I am on my 6th pair!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had some 5.10 Camp which I think are their multi sport / approach shoe. Wasn’t particularly impressed with them, couple of metal eyelets came out after a few wears and they just seemed to start falling apart too soon, eventually the uppers split where the leather upper is bonded to the rubber toe rand. they just didn’t seem to last long enough for the amount they were used.
    Currently have some Haglofs something or other, which seem much more robust and still in good shape after much use.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Only slippy salomons I own are speedcross 3. Great in the dry and slippy on wet concrete. But in fairness there designed for cross training..off road running.

X Ultra I do not find slippy in any conditions, apart from slippy mud or ice..

Keva
    Free Member

a bit odd about the Merrells being flimsy, Ive had a pair of those contiuums since 2009 that became my mtb shoes in about 2011 or 2012. I still wear them for biking four or five years later and I’ve lost count of the amount of times they’ve been through the washing machine, they’re not showing any signs of falling apart.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Shoes, Biking, hiking & general everyday, one pair for all is there such a thing’ is closed to new replies.