Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shoe Polishing – please help!
  • deadslow

Given the STW penchant for absolute precision on coffee brewing, shaving instrument choice etc, I am very concerned that my shoe polishing routine is a little inadequate!
    My current routine is shoe polish applied and then polished off with brushes, about once a month. .
    In between times I just sin and just use this which I know must be wrong!
    What is the accepted STW shoe polish routine?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What is the accepted STW shoe polish routine?

Ones butler should spend at least an hour every day water bulling ones handmade shoes.

growinglad
    Free Member

You can tell a man by his shoes….so said my Grandad many moons ago.

Milkman and Ice cream man with the shiniest, well kept brogues I can ever remember.

Once a week with the proper stuff and brushes….can’t beat a good bit of buffing.

lunge

Normally:
    Wipe shoe clean and if it got wet, leave it to dry.
    Remove laces and apply polish to shoes and leather cream to soles if they’re leather.
    Leave for at least an hour, ideally closer to a day.
    Buff with a brush.
    Leave again.
    Final buff with a soft cloth.

That’s good enough for normal every day work shoes. You can add layer of leather cream before polish on the shoes if you want and can also use water with the polish but given I have no need for a military grade shine I don’t.

wrecker
    Free Member

Clean your footwear, if you have been exercising in them then they will need to be rinsed to be rid of the salt. Brush polish on (really work it in), wait for it to dry then brush it off. Some people like to have an on and an off brush, I just use one (gets a deeper shine).
    I would never let any of that easy shine stuff near my shoes.

jimdubleyou

Don’t put that shine & protect bollocks on them. It’s got silicon or some other shiny additive which messes with the polish the next time you put it on.

If you must freshen up without polishing, a bit of wet on a hanky will do.

jimdubleyou

Ones butler should spend at least an hour every day water bulling ones handmade shoes.

And don’t do that – bulling will wear out the leather faster than a normal polish.

drlex
    Free Member

I like to ignite the polish and brush the molten wax into the welt with an old toothbrush.
    I find it helps preserve the stitching, satisfies minor pyromaniac tendencies and irks Mrs L.

deadslow

If you must freshen up without polishing, a bit of wet on a hanky will do

Oh er, Finbar

Sandwich

Meths, water and Kiwi applied with a soft cloth in a circular motion until you can see your face in the shine. Wear nitrile gloves to avoid black fingers. Don’t do this if you have a habit of crossing your feet behind your trouser leg, the polish will transfer to the cloth.

zippykona

I miss having a pair of cherry Red dms that I can absolutely polish the **** out of. I used to use a puncture outfit yellow crayon and colour in the sole stitching.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Remove wet wipe from container, wipe shoe, dispose of wet wipe for work shows. DM’s get clear DM wax as they’re mat oxblood.

BillMC

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/4780/Urad-Leather-Shoe-and-Furniture-Cleaner-Paste-200g?gclid=CNfDmK_AxcwCFY4V0wodiOIGlA&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!106464846629!!!g!43126903752!&ef_id=VnlRMAAABdcw4U28:20160506125902:s

Is very useful stuff on good shoes and leather bags.

Sui
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member
    And don’t do that – bulling will wear out the leather faster than a normal polish.

you what – many a year of bulling my shoes and boots and good as new, my old field boots even got a bulling every now and then.

HOWEVER ever since Kiwi changed the formulation to that Canuba stuff i can’t get the buggers to bull up 🙁

tang
    Free Member

Spit and polish! Sort of. Parade shine is quite satisfying.

somouk
    Free Member

HOWEVER ever since Kiwi changed the formulation to that Canuba stuff i can’t get the buggers to bull up

I use cotton wool and lots of water on my parade shoes, it still works fine with kiwi and a lot better than any of the cheaper polishes. Most still use the cloth and water approach with no issues.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shoe Polishing – please help!’ is closed to new replies.