Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Shockpump-no longer supplied with new bikes?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

My girlfriend picked up her new Trek 6500 from the dealer on Sunday (one of Treks top 3 dealers in the country apparently) and when she got it home there was no shock pump for the Recon forks. Is this normal?

Also there's no grease on the seatpost. I phoned the shop and they apologised for not setting the forks up in the shop, they said no grease was required on the seatpost unless it's carbon!!

Thanks

MM

IamSam
    Free Member

never had a shock pump with a bike??

should I have??

stumpy01

Same – never had a shock pump with a bike. Bought some Reba's that came with a shock pump in the box, but I am not sure all fork manufacturer's provide one.

Is it normal to grease a seat tube? I never do one my bikes.

Pook

can you pump a shock with a track pump?

tracknicko
    Free Member

dont think you get a shock pump with OEM forks…

njee20
    Free Member

can you pump a shock with a track pump?

No, don't even think about it.

Some bikes do, some don't. Trek's traditionally have, my Top Fuel did, but then excluding a shock pump on a £1000 bike is an easy way to save £30! Plus a lot of people will tend to have one, if you don't you'll buy one anyway and it's no huge issue, and you won't want another one next time you buy a bike.

Tim
    Free Member

should be something on the seatpost, but they only need the tiniest smearing of grease

tracknicko
    Free Member

oh yeh and no to the track pump idea. it wont fit, and if it did it wouldnt work. at all.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mine didn't come with one (2007 Stumpy HT) so I bought one – simple.

I do wish they'd stick proper pedals on new bikes though.

njee20
    Free Member

Specialized bikes never have strangely, not even S-Works ones.

They also had the deal with Crank Bros to fit those dire Smarty pedals, which I agree, was stupid. On the other hand, I'd rather have no pedals, than the price of the bike be increased because of some expensive pedals I don't want, hence why virtually all road bikes, and most top end MTBs don't include pedals at all.

spesh
    Free Member

I got a Trek Fuel 6.5 from JE James, Chesterfield last year and that came with a shock pump. I seem to remember them telling me that Trek and Giant come with pumps but not Specialized. Maybe it's only full sussers that are supplied with a pump though ?

Probably worth an email to Trek UK as well as a phone call to the dealer

njee20
    Free Member

The hardtails did tend to, but I wouldn't be that surprised if they've stopped. It also did depend a bit on individual bikes, occasionally they wouldn't. Phonecall to the dealer wouldn't hurt though, they may chuck one in anyway.

The Wrench Force pumps you get with Trek bikes are generally very good, better than the Fox ones.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

They also had the deal with Crank Bros to fit those dire Smarty pedals, which I agree, was stupid. On the other hand, I'd rather have no pedals, than the price of the bike be increased because of some expensive pedals I don't want, hence why virtually all road bikes, and most top end MTBs don't include pedals at all.

Maybe they should factor in a budget for you to choose your own pedals? Mine came with comedy SPDs, my wife's Rockhopper Disk came with PLASTIC (!!) flatties – how very silly. My XT SPDs were only £40ish – I'm sure they could stretch to something like that (or MG1s for flat pedal users)?

nickegg
    Free Member

My Orange 5 came with a Fox pump but neither of my previous Marins did or my current Lapierre.

njee20
    Free Member

My XT SPDs were only £40ish – I'm sure they could stretch to something like that (or MG1s for flat pedal users)?

But what if you don't want SPDs, you want Egg Beaters? You've then paid more for the bike, and still had to fork out for your own pedals.

docrobster
    Free Member

When I bought my FS marin in 2006 (air forks and shock) from Jejames in sheffield it didn't come with a shock pump, so I asked and they gave me one. I also commented the pedals on it were no use to me so they threw in a pair of cheap shimano spds.
    Amazing what you can get if you ask for it. I presume this super duper trek dealership would like your custom in the future?

Pook

didn't think so. Wasn't going to try it. Just thought I'd get some numpty points

:o)

thomthumb
    Free Member

the only bike that ever came with a shock pump was second hand. (had come with the bike though (05 nrs)

iirc the no pedals thing means that the bike is not complete and can be sold without reflectors and a bell.

but i agree with njee – was looking at buying a bike (marin maybe) that came with CB pedals – don't run them, don't want them.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

But what if you don't want SPDs, you want Egg Beaters? You've then paid more for the bike, and still had to fork out for your own pedals.

That's my point – have a £40 (ish) "buffer" to allow you to choose your own pedals – set the buffer price to the cost of the bike. For a £1000 bike you get £40, for a £300 you get £100 – or something like that.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Cannondale prophet – shock pump
    Giant trance (three of them) – shock pump
    Rockshox forks – Shock pump

Fox forks – no shock pump

njee20
    Free Member

Aah I see, interesting theory. To be fair, most shops will throw in a set of reasonable value to the bike. I'd often throw in some M520s with a Rockhoppers, or some XTRs with an S-Works.

iirc the no pedals thing means that the bike is not complete and can be sold without reflectors and a bell.

All bikes that I've ever seen/built do include really nasty huge plastic pedals (including £6000 road bikes), as you have to sell bikes with reflectors on the pedals, not sure about not including any and the wider implications of it not being a complete bike.

Pickers

Had a Wrench Force pump with my EX8, Rock Shox one with my SIDS.
    Except for the plastic bit on the end of the handle they're absolutely identical.
    That also means I have a spare one…

unclejimmy
    Free Member

haggle with the shop, get them to swap them over!!

IanMmmm
    Free Member

OEM Rockshox forks don't come with shock pumps. I've never had one with a bike that has these on, but I have with Fox shocks (front and rear)

Cougar

I've never got a pump with the bikes I've bought; last time I was in the Local Friendly Bike Shop bemoaning this fact, the owner went "here you go mate" and gave me one. \o/

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Only Trek full-suss get them.

rOcKeTdOg

yup, my fuel ex came with a pump, it's still in the bag, i'd already got 2 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Only Trek full-suss get them.

Definitely had some hardtails with them, perhaps only 8000s and above though.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Shockpump-no longer supplied with new bikes?’ is closed to new replies.