Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shock tune question…..please explain! And what shock for a status….
  • moniex
    Free Member

Hi, I have just bought an used specialized status frame, size small. It came with a 8.5×2.5 fox dhx 5.0, but ideally should run a 8.75×2.75 to get original geo and travel.

I am now considering a new shock. Any revolution recommendations?

I am 5’5″ and 58 kg (if I ride nude), and will use it for our Alps trip. Would prefer air, but would consider coil.

Looked at a few rock shox shocks, and they seem to come in different tunes. What tune would suit?

Thanks,

Simone

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Might be worth trying to get a monarch plus or DHX air cheap then get it avalanched.

moniex
    Free Member

Will look into that, cheers. Any other tips?

Simone

Onzadog
    Free Member

Second the avalanche option. I’ll spec my next bike with whatever avalanche are tuning at that time. I plan to build my ride around their shocks.

My dhx 5.0 coil is amazing.

moniex
    Free Member

Mm, I don’t think I can be asked to send it to the USA, looking to get something soon.

Can get a fox dhx 5.0 I’ve seen, or a fox dhx rc4. Also considering a rockshox monarch high volume rc3….

What rockshox tune would suit the bike and my weight? They seem to come in m/m, m/l etc? Not sure what I would need?

Sorry for all the daft questions!

Simone

spicer
    Free Member

Heard pretty good things about the high end xfusion shocks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want specific tune/bike answers from people who know then look towards TF/Loco and buy from them. You will get a shock that works tuned to you and the bike. May cost a bit more but should be the best fit.

deviant
    Free Member

moniex – Would prefer air,

Heard pretty good things about the high end xfusion shocks

Yep, the X-Fusion Vector Air is supposed to be a very good hard hitting air shock.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

J-tech then?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bit leftfield, but what about a DSP Dueler?

They’re coil rather than air, but they call come with Ti springs so there’s not much of a weight penalty (if that’s your reasoning for air).

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve just been through this decision and decided that most likely I’d need a custom tune anyway, so bought a Monarch RC3 Plus debonair at a very good price from Germany. It only came in an M/M tune, so I planned to ride it and work out the shortfalls, then do a custom tune.

So far, I’m very impressed with it and it’s running well. Plenty of range on the rebound to dial in. 3 positions on the compression to make firmer if required as a stop gap, and air volume can be self tuned with spacers easily. Even after a custom compression tune it’ll be cheaper than full RRP.

Don’t think a Monarch comes in a large enough size for your frame – 216x63mm is the biggest so you would need a Vivid.

moniex
    Free Member

So do I need a m/m tune if I get a rockshox?

Simone

jairaj

Each bike will have different suspension characteristics so the shock will need
    to be tuned to match the characteristics of the suspension system.

Unless you go for the same shock that the bike is speced with as standard and match the tune on that you may not get optimal results from your shock.

It really is best to talk to a proper suspension tuner. I don’t think the STW gang are going to know what the correct tune is.

chiefgrooveguru

Have you ridden it with the current shock? The shorter length knocks the travel down a bit but also lowers and slackens the bike, so depending on the era of Status I’d probably prefer that geometry for the Alps.

moniex
    Free Member

No I haven’t, I did check if it causes problems at full compression, and all seems ok.

My frame is a 2013 status 1 frame, shock is a fox dhx 5.0 8.5×2.5.

Simone

moniex
    Free Member

Reason for air is weight, but also not having to mess around with springs, light ones can be hard to get. Not even sure what spring I’d need. I weigh 59 kg (yep, without anything on of course).

(That reminds me, anyone got a soft totem spring spare?).

Simone

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shock tune question…..please explain! And what shock for a status….’ is closed to new replies.