• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by igm.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shock springs – can I use a spring supplier?
  • igm

If I can get the right size and weight is there any reason I shouldn’t use a general spring supplier for a replacement shock spring?

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, you said it.

“If you get the right size and spring weight”

But given CRC stock loads of them anyway you may find there is no point in looking elsewhere. Plus, dont forget you will need to set the sag by sitting on the bike with the spring. So unless your very lucky, you will need to buy a few rates to try out first. With CRC you can send back the ones that are wrong.

igm

It’s for a child’s full suss bike with a Vanilla R 165×38 rear shock.
    He’s verylight so I’ve played with the TFTuned and Mojo spring calculators and I need a 150-200lb spring, around 4″ uncompressed with at least 1.5″ compression.
    Not too many at CRC or other bike shops really – I might be able to get a 200lb, but I may end up buying an air shock.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Simon

You could get one custom made but it’d be expensive.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If I can get the right size and weight is there any reason I shouldn’t use a general spring supplier for a replacement shock spring?

I looked into this for vehicle use, and what I found was lots of very dissatisfied customers. Apparently making a spring that has the correct free length, compressed length, and spring rate isn’t as easy as you’d think.

Simon

Air shock would be a better idea.

Trimix
    Free Member

Also if you look at TF Tunes spring calculator and Cane Creeks and Mojos they are all different.

Some take into account leverage ratios, others dont. So they are really only a very rough guide.

Air shock may be better.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Call TF and see what they have?

From previous experience they will tell you if they do/can/possible.

Then get an air shock

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheap air shock is a better option, custom spring is going to be fairly pricey.

igm

And the air shock will be lighter too – important when you’re small.

Sold.

Thanks all.

Now has anyone got a 165×38 Float they don’t need?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shock springs – can I use a spring supplier?’ is closed to new replies.