Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Shock pumps – Do you carry yours on the trail?
  • organic355
    Free Member

further to the Thomson seat post bag thread, just wondering if people carry their shock pumps in theirr packs with them, or just have them in the car or check pressures before they set off from the house?

Seems a fairly heavy (and delicate) bit of kit to be carrying round for the sake of it?

kayak23

Only the first ever time I set the shock up.. .

njee20
    Free Member

No. I check mine about once every 6 months!

footflaps

Yep, have a tiny little one, about 8cm long, which weighs next to nothing.

EDIT: Similar to this one: http://www.highonbikes.com/topeak-microshock-mountain-bike-mtb-mini-shock-pump.html

headfirst
    Free Member

Used to check it at home pre-ride but I’ve just had it serviced (after 5 years) so hopefully I won’t need to check and top it up every ride now.

donsimon
    Free Member

Good lord no! I haven’t spent a fortune on getting by bike nice and light just so I can lug a tool chest around with me… 😛

scuzz
    Free Member

Often but not always.

Nobby

I’ve a topeak pocket shock pump in the camelback somewhere – haven’t needed it for years but kinda got used to carrying it when I had one of those hateful Fox Septune rear shocks. That and the Brain on one of my riding buddies Epic used to dump all their air every now & then.

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for Kayak23’s comment.

Only when setting up a new shock/fork.

PaulD

weeksy

Yup, i do.. although i have a HT and VERY rarely do my pressures

organic355
    Free Member

Yep, have a tiny little one, about 8cm long, which weighs next to nothing.

EDIT: Similar to this one: http://www.highonbikes.com/topeak-microshock-mountain-bike-mtb-mini-shock-pump.html

damn you!! thats another gadget I dont need but will no doubt end up buying!!

whats the actuall difference between a shock pump and a normal pump?

I carry a normal pump, so wouldnt it be handy if you could just get a hose adapter (and pressure gauge if needed?) to fit to a standard pump?

+2 only when shock/fork is new

footflaps

Normal pumps won’t go the 200psi some rear shocks need, although I rarely run a Fox Float at more than 150psi.

Nobby

I carry a normal pump, so wouldnt it be handy if you could just get a hose adapter (and pressure gauge if needed?) to fit to a standard pump?

I know a couple of people that use their Lezyne pumps on shocks/forks too – no pressure gauge but the connecting hose os airtight & has a bleed valve.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chucked in and stays it, not that heavy and not that fragile (it’s about 10 years old)

singletracksurfer

I do now I have the superb little Topeak pocket rocket. Tough little pump. Don’t need to use it very often mid-ride, but very useful when you do.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I did/do when I have a new bike.

Subtle changes can make big differences so its worth playing about with it a bit.

organic355
    Free Member

At 84 g the Lezyne Shock Drive Pump looks like an option if you wanted one with a pressure gauge.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Yep, although never use it. It’s more for those times when you need to whack a bit more in due to it losing pressure; you can bet your last pound that you’ll turn up to an all dayer with loads of climbing and you’ve a rear end saggier than Jo Brand.

GolfChick
    Free Member

The OH always carries one, as well as everything bar the kitchen sink… Although it saves me carrying it. don’t think I’ve ever used it mid ride, once maybe when they bottomed out and threw me off… He always seems to use it lately!

carlosg
    Free Member

Yep , mine lives in the backpack although as mentioned above it rarely gets used.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yes, but depends where I’m riding. If I’m going on a decent ride & wearing my Camelbak I carry all sorts of stuff inc shock pump & even spare cables.
    Local ride-no, stuff my pockets with just enough kit to survive.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yes, but depends where I’m riding. If I’m going on a decent ride & wearing my Camelbak I carry all sorts of stuff inc shock pump & even spare cables.
    Local ride-no, stuff my pockets with just enough kit to survive.

RustySpanner

No.
    Just check the fork and tyres before I set off.

stumpy01

Nope. Don’t carry mine.

philfive
    Free Member

yep but just because i like to be prepared and you wouldn’t belevive the amount of people that ask if any one has one at the trail head 😀

i have a track pump in the van too 😀

rootes1

this is how I imagine some people looking out on the trail..

organic355
    Free Member

are those assos tights?

thepurist

I don’t routinely carry one, but on one of the few times I have been carrying one (new bike setup) I’ve been asked for it by someone I happened to meet(turned out to be Amber the famous Swinley dog’s owner) and on the one occasion when I’ve needed one the next person I met had one, but they didn’t have a famous dog.

jonba
    Free Member

No, I try to carry as little as possible.

I have a little adapter thing so I can connect my minipump to the shock/fork. I’d only get about 120psi in but I figure if I have lost all my shock pressure then I’m just going to be trying to make it home as it is broken.

Check it before rides anyway.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, just in case someone else has ‘adjusted’ their shocks on the trail, they usually getr a business card at the same time too 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

No, I’ve never needed to use one when out riding..

crftom
    Free Member

LINK I carry one of these

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Would happily let anyone borrow it on the trail too.

Had a few air pressure fails in my life and know what it’s like from either letting a little pressure out or from a leaky seal etc. my Marz AM1 SL’s used to unscrew the top cap and let air out do required periodic re application. The RS Rev Dual air still passes some between the chambers over time and you never notice in the house!

However to all those mocking those of us that carry a small selection of tools and spares I offer a 2 fingered gesture when you ask for help!!

thepodge
    Free Member

If I didn’t keep mine in my bag I’d never find it when I needed it

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Shock pumps – Do you carry yours on the trail?’ is closed to new replies.