Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shock pump in your backpack ?
  • Old-timer
    Free Member

I’ve just read “theflatboy” question & answers. I’m never sure what to carry and I thought it might help me. It seems everybody carries such a different cargo that it wasn’t much help at all. Quite a few carry a shock pump. If your shock loses pressure, won’t the seals have gone. If so what can a shock pump do. Or do some people service their shocks during a ride ?

nickc

I’m with you. set it up, go ride. It the shck loses air, pump probably won’t help.

Unless you’re still setting it up, i guess

BigDummy
    Free Member

I carry one when I remember, because I once had a miserable ride with a completely flat shock after botching letting out just a tiny bit of air at an early stage in the day…

aP
    Free Member

For big rides yes I do carry a shock pump as it can help to reduce that extremely expensive crunching noise (usually with 5th element air shocks).
    Either that or piece of wood the right size wedged into the linkages which can be even more expensive.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I only have air forks. I carry a pump if I am tinkering with pressures otherwise no – if it ain’t right leave it until you get home

nukeproof
    Free Member

Same as TJ…carry whilst setting up but once done, there’s no point

MrNutt
    Free Member

do you people not have a support crew?

GW
    Free Member

I don’t even own/carry an ordinary pump 😳

when I’m riding with others there’s no point in us all carrying one and when i’m on my own I’m happy to ride/push with the flat back to the car/home. or at trail centres there’s usually someone along in a matter of seconds and they always seem to have amazing pumps (shame not to use them) 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tut tut GW!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sometimes I do sometimes I don’t, depends on which bike I’m riding 😉

Took it with me last week as it was my first ride on my new shock and my bros first ride on his new FS, just incase you knows

grumm
    Free Member

Carried one around for a while and never used it, so no, not any more.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They hardly weigh anything and I usually carry it in group as I know everyone else will have a standard pump anyway.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My forks leak, but I’m too indolent to sort them out, and pump them up on a ride if I notice them sagging too much…

druidh
    Free Member

I have one of those Specialized combined shock/tyre pumps. And I’ve had occasion to use it when an RP23 went “stuck down” on me. I’ve also lent it to other folk who didn’t bother to carry one.

I’m often so far from a road that I’d not consider it a luxury.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shock pump in your backpack ?’ is closed to new replies.