Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shock pump – do you take it with you?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Just got my first pair of air forks (rockshox revelations) and I was wondering – do you need to take the shock pump with you when riding (eg: in camelbak)?

Its heavy..

EDIT:

Also, is one if the air chambers meant to be 10psi more then the other? If so, which one..?

uplink
    Free Member

only for the first trip [or 2] until I have it set up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As uplink says – only when fiddling with the pressures

RealMan
    Free Member

OK, cheers.. Just I saw (I think) in the most recent st mag it had some mini lightweight shock pump review. So is that just for people who would rather spend £35 to lose a bit of weight for 2 rides?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Only until it’s set up properly.

jonb
    Free Member

You could get enough pressure in with a mini pump (I carry an adaptor) if you needed to get home. If you lose pressure mid ride, your forks are phooked so you probably wouldn’t be able to pump them up and carry on anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Realman – some folk like to carry the kitchen sink and everything else. there was a very funny thread on this not so long ago.

Keva
    Free Member

I set mine up by taking most of the air out of the negative chamber, then set the positive chamber until you have desired amount of sag – about 20-25%, then top up the negative until just before the fork begins to lose travel. It’ll probably take a few rides before you get to know how you like them. I don’t bother taking the shock pump with me.

Kev

RealMan
    Free Member

If you lose pressure mid ride, your forks are phooked so you probably wouldn’t be able to pump them up and carry on anyway.

Thats what I was thinking – not exactly like you can stick a puncture patch on a fork leak and pump it back up.

Ok TandemJeremy, missed that one.

And anyone know about pressure differences between the positive and negative air chambers? I heard one was meant to be 10 psi more?

DaveGr
    Free Member

I have Revelations and Rebas. Usually I run the +ve and -ve the same but occasionally run -ve 5psi more. This reduces the available travel marginally but means they react quicker to small bumps. But TBH the difference is small. Better IMO setting them the same to start with and setting the sag and playing around with the rebound. Once you’re happy with that then start playing around with -ve pressure differences.

Tracey

Between us we have 3 sets of air Revelations and 2 sets of air Pikes, with no air in the -ve we set the positive to get the right sag then set the -ve at 5psi less, seems to work for us

Tracey

stumpyjon

More pressure in the negative chamber will make the forks plusher on small hits, less pressure will make them dive less on bigger hits. Depends on how you ride, where you ride and personal preference.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tend to take mine for a few weeks, or if im away on holliday, mainly because the magura's seem very sensitive to air pressure, so 1-2 psi difference makes them feel different. Few pumps in/out at the mid point/bottom of the first few decents and they'r usualy perfect for whaerever we're riding.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shock pump – do you take it with you?’ is closed to new replies.