Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Shock news: Cars don't grip on snow – last night's posh-girl encounter.
  • DezB
    Free Member

maybe the girl who can’t drive has some other value to society which her driving skills have masked.

Maybe the girl who can’t drive shouldn’t be sat behind the wheel of a car?

U31
    Free Member

Stoner,it’s pretty obviuos, Other drivers pull cleanly off their driveways and progress at a steady safe pace, the clueless sit there wheelspinning or with the car yawing side to side every time a driven wheel breaks traction. That would tell me i needed a further level of tuition.

Stoner
    Free Member

how do a handful of posts get vacuumed out of the thread? I swear we should be on 45 posts now?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

1. unconsciously incompetent
    2. consciously incompetent
    3. consciously competent
    4. unconsciously competent

Four stages of learning skills/etc and much as I dislike him, pretty much what Dick (swear filter?) Cheney was getting at…

Seems like a lot of people are 1 when driving in these conditions.

Stoner
    Free Member

U31 – I just own a skill compensator 4×4 with snow tyres. Im probably a lousy snow driver in a BMW too 🙂

nice translation there clubber 😉

U31
    Free Member

Stroke to a layman. The blood appears like a spiderweb under scans hence the name.

Stoner
    Free Member

who’d’ve thunk doctors could be so romantically descriptive?

Gary_C

Always remember my second ever driving lesson, 17y.o., day after boxing day. About 4″ of snow had been dumped overnight & it was still snowing & I had a scheduled lesson for that day, & I was expecting the lesson to be cancelled.

But no, my instructor turned up, & his reckoning was that in the future, at some point, I would have to drive in snow, so I might as well learn in it. Even though it was only my 2nd lesson, for sure it was the most valuable.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you don’t know snow is slippery, how can you be expected to know that it might be dangerous to drive around in it?

Catch 22 – if you’re really dim you aren’t bright enough to know how dim you are.

Range Rover Sport – 6 ft off my back bumper the whole way

I usually pull over when this happens.

What is it with this forum and the seemingly limitless contempt for other people? What happened to humanity and kindness and empathy? Is this what Santa died for?

Definitely comment of the year. What a hero!

enduro-aid
    Free Member

come on people lets get back to the real question we are all wanting to ask…

young girl is discovered by helpful passer by down a dark lane where she cant get her car to move

was there steamy window involved in the thank you?

2tyred

Stroke to a layman. The blood appears like a spiderweb under scans hence the name.

What a great piece of knowledge, thank you!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Totally agree with what iDave said, there really is an abundance of smug people on this thread. You would honestly walk past someone rather than help them? That’s a pathetic way to behave

flippinheckler
    Free Member

You could of fulfilled her fantasy a knight riding towards her on a shiny steed, driven her car out of trouble then getting your reward from fair maiden.

iDave
    Free Member

U31 – you’re presuming you’ll never need any help in future through your own ignorance or error. You are invincible and I claim my £5 NHS voucher

U31
    Free Member

I have owned between 5 and 15 4wd vehicles per year sine i was about 18 year old, driven them in far worse conditions then these and seldom got stuck, only once had to be towed out to be rescued,and even then i could have self extracted, but opted for the easiest method of recovery.

For the last 3 year i havent needed a 4wd for work, so 2wd hatchbacks vans and mpv’s have been my choice. These 2 wd cars have been to the same farms the landrovers have, and never got stuck, last winter i was all over the north yorks moors and never got stuck, this winter, so far- touch wood-i havent got stuck. No chains. No winter tyres. Just a shovel a brush some sacks and carpet mats for traction, and plenty of layered clothing.
    I wouldnt class myself as an excetional driver, i merely risk asses the situation. If a road looks impassable, i will turn around.

emsz
    Free Member

I’m sitting LOLing at you lot. What colour was the car? Might have to make a phone call

molgrips
    Free Member

U31 – driving around in the sticks you get a lot of smooth packed snow, which is actually a fair bit grippier than the salty slush you get in cities.. just sayin 🙂

bazzer
    Free Member

(do people like bazzer really exist? You know, in the real world? Or are they internet bots programmed to spoil any sense of humour the internet may have? They bloody annoy me anyway.)

Original story was really funny so see I do exist and I do like a joke 🙂

I’d have left her where she sat, no advice. Reward idiocy with the contempt it richly deserves.

It was just not funny, There are a lot of people involved in outdoor sports with this attitude, if your crap at something then you should stay at home. I guess these people were born good at everything.

Yes, she’s far less likely to cause an accident while stationary.

Funnier 🙂

Bazzer

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Totally agree with what iDave said, there really is an abundance of smug people on this thread. You would honestly walk past someone rather than help them? That’s a pathetic way to behave

+ a million

Stoner
    Free Member

It was just not funny, to me

FTFY

U31
    Free Member

I live in Bolton, and Manchester – plenty of hardpack ice on the back roads.

ocrider

I have owned between 5 and 15 4wd vehicles per year sine i was about 18 year old

Blimey, you go through that many cars a year?
    You are Arthur Daley AICMFP.

thepurist

Blimey, you go through that many cars a year?

Yeah he had to get a new one every time the old one got stuck/crashed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

there are some smug people on here but you also have someone driving a car in snow with no idea what to do when it does not grip [or indeed that it is slippy] and they just stop in the middle of the road blocking it for other users- seriously is this SAFE?. I am also on these roads with this person and in all honesty I would prefer she had stayed at home given her skil and knowledge base.
    gender looks are not important but clearly she is not a skilled driver

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m learning to drive, test cancelled 3 times due to weather! But learning on the ice and snow has been really valuble. Learning to brake slower and use engine breaking at junctions, steering into skids etc.. All good fun. Should have started this driving thing years ago.

petrieboy

Saturday afternoon driving back from Cambridge roads were 5″ deep in fresh snow so very slow going. All the other drivers behaving sensibly, nice low speed, plenty stopping distances etc. But not for the king of the road in the Porsche 4×4 tailgating me all along. 12 inches if my back bumper for miles then at the first sign of a break in oncoming traffic, they floor it, immediately spinning it and coming to rest on the other side if the road facing back where they had come form. Natural justice!

U31
    Free Member

I certainly was, Ocrider, i used to deal in them in a former life.

emsz
    Free Member

Ha ha thought I might know who this was but she’s skiing.

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s 60 million people in the UK emsz, you probably dont know who this is. 🙂

have a sherry.

U31
    Free Member

The purist, i aint crashed since i was 18. A mini snapped a trackrod end off and i hit a wall, and i was plainly driving too fast for the conditions in a peugeot 305. Young, daft and inexperienced in both instances.

cynic-al
    Free Member

At the risk of incurring the righteous indignation of the great and good on here:

You’re driving on a quiet country road you know well when your lights die with only a few miles to go. Full moon and clear sky. Do you stop and walk/taxi/lift or just go on slowly, pulling in when cars pass?

iDave
    Free Member

I’d drive flat out Al, get home much sooner, less time to be a danger…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Eh? I don’t get it al. Your lights have died but your car is still drivable? So all the bulbs have broke at the same time? Assuming you can’t fix the lights yourself, walk. Lights are to show your visibility not just illuminate the road.

U31
    Free Member

Catflees, ihad that happen once.
    The diodes in the alternater failed, causing all bulbs including instruments, to blow simultaneously when the voltage spiked.
    And yes i carefully drove on.

CaptJon
    Free Member

There are a lot of assumptions being made about this woman’s driving ability and knowledge of snow/ice conditions based on someone elses assumptions based on a short conversation.

U31
    Free Member

Its an internet forum, mate, thats how it works.
    It aint real life ya knaaaa…

jools182
    Free Member

A 20 year old posh girl lacking common sense?

top notch 😉

I_did_dab
    Free Member

A friend’s daughter got stuck in a queue of traffic with white van man stuck at the front. She got out of the car and went and asked if she could help. White van man sneered and said ‘Why, what are you going to do?”. She calmly said, “put it in second and take your foot off the accelerator”. Seconds later that van drove off and the queue got going. She went back to her car with congratulations from the queue. 😀

U31
    Free Member

A 20 year old posh girl lacking common sense?

top notch

“If i just push this “joystick” up there, i promise you the car will move..”

😈

philconsequence
    Free Member

A friend’s daughter got stuck in a queue of traffic with white van man stuck at the front. She got out of the car and went and asked if she could help. White van man sneered and said ‘Why, what are you going to do?”. She calmly said, “put it in second and take your foot off the accelerator”. Seconds later that van drove off and the queue got going. She went back to her car with congratulations from the queue.

in the wordz of da kidz: EPIC WIN 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Shock news: Cars don't grip on snow – last night's posh-girl encounter.’ is closed to new replies.