Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shock bushes/mount kits advice please
  • stayhigh

I’ll be servicing my rear shock soon and have discovered some play and a creaking noise coming from the mounts. I guess that means new bearings or bushes or both?

There is a small amonut of play evident when you apply upward pressure to the undeside of the seat. If that makes sense?

I’ve heard good things for TFT & Katec, where would be the best place to get the bits from?

Cheers all 🙂

bland

Just needs a new bush. Have a look on ebay, they are about a pound each, and you can get a bushing removal tool on there too from some chap who knocks them up, alternatively get a couple of sockets from a socket set and bosh it out.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Strongly recommend getting the bushing tool – about £20 – £25 from various sources (inc. TFTuned) and you’ll be able to do your own bushes forever. Makes the job soooooooo much easier and much less chance of shoving the new bush in squint and deforming it.

Bushes are cheap – 4 for £10 from most suppliers, again maybe cheaper on ebay.

RustyMac

Got my shock bushes from Katec and got a tool like the TF tuned one from the classified section on here.

I have one of the Katec bearing removal tools similar to the bush removal/repacement tool and it works well. The katec one can be used with spanners, have a look at the fitting instructions on TF tuned, BETD and see which you prefer.

kilo

used tft tuned recently on a prophet very pleased with it

stayhigh

Loco Tuning have Igus Polymer eyelet bushing (which they say last 4 times longer) at £2.25 each or standard metal at £1.50. The igus seem sensible as much longer lasting.

Katec have DP4 Bushes and he does a Bushing Tool too.

TFT work out the most expensive for the bushes and tool at £30 plus postage.

Are the polymer ones longer lasting or is it just spin?

RustyMac

It was the DP4 bushes i got and so far they seem to be working fine, in my oppinion they are better than the DU ones i had previously. I don’t know about the Polymer ones as i’ve not used them and i have plenty of the DP4 ones left over as i got a pack of 10.

stayhigh

Funnily enough I thought of getting a pack of ten to take my current hamfistedness into consideration lol

hughjengin
    Free Member

Are the polymer ones longer lasting or is it just spin?

Not spin as far as I am concerned, used to replace the lower DU bushing and mounting hardware every 3-4 months or so on my zesty especially during the winter. Since buying a heavy duty mounting hardware and polymer bushing I am now into over 12 months with still no play. Wont use anything else from now on

retro83
    Free Member

stayhigh – Member

Loco Tuning have Igus Polymer eyelet bushing (which they say last 4 times longer) at £2.25 each or standard metal at £1.50. The igus seem sensible as much longer lasting.

Do those Igus ones need different mounting hardware or just the normal top hat jobbies?

LoCo
    Free Member

Will work with either, they’re fitted as standard as part of a full service as well. 😀

‘4 times as long’ was quoted by Igus and experience with LocoBM racing endurance team ridings shock confirms this to be true in the ‘real world’

stayhigh

Not spin as far as I am concerned, used to replace the lower DU bushing and mounting hardware every 3-4 months or so on my zesty especially during the winter. Since buying a heavy duty mounting hardware and polymer bushing I am now into over 12 months with still no play. Wont use anything else from now on

Sounds like a winner to me, cheers for that I shall get an order sorted.

I think I’ll go for the Katec tool as its cheap and cheerful. With it being done up with a spanner theres also less scope for me to main my shock with a hammer 😳

LoCo
    Free Member

You use the press tools with a vice if you have one which is alot easier,
    have the ‘fox style’ one for various applications in the workshop and a used once Rockshox one (spanner type) which is a PITA and has only been used once.

stayhigh

Sounds like the press tool is easier to use then so I’ll have a loko at one of them instead then, cheers for that Loco.

Ambrose

You can also buy direct from igus. They are really helpful people.

http://www.igus.co.uk/wpck/default.aspx?pagename=bicycle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shock bushes/mount kits advice please’ is closed to new replies.