Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shock blowing through mid stroke conundrum
  • bigdan6
    Free Member

Hi all, currently running 30% sag in RP23 on my orange five (2012 model) and find on rocky climbs it blows through travel resulting in pedal strike. If I increase air pressure to give 25% sag the rebound feels too fast.

A couple of questions…
    1. Can you get it tuned with a slower rebound range?
    2. How do I know if there’s an air spring reducer cup already installed? And would a larger one help this problem?
    And finally
    3. Would a PUSH tune solve the problem?

Many thanks everyone

superfli
    Free Member

Try adding a shim to the hv chamber. Works great for a lot of people inc me. 5min fix: http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/dw-5-spot-rp23-mod-503070.html

Kryton57

Er, have you increased the rebound dampening? (Red knob)

steveh

In my experience the push tune/j tech shim stack or whoever else does similar things cures exactly this problem with fox air shocks.

legend
    Free Member

2. How do I know if there’s an air spring reducer cup already installed? And would a larger one help this problem?

Unless you’ve had one installed, there’ll be no reducer in there. I’ve had a medium reducer added to mine (2011 Five) and it’s made a significant difference. It was tuned (shim stack change too) for performance heading down the hill though, so you might want/need a slightly different setup. I sent mine to Loco Tuning – always a great service.

bigdan6
    Free Member

Kryton57- yep, rebound adjusted to fully slow and with 210psi in it (25% sag) it still feels too fast.

How much would a custom tune be from Loco?

Thanks guys

mildred

The 5 ‘works’ better with a standard volume air can. In my experience all RP23’s have this issue to a lesser or greater extent. The Monarch works well on this frame but my all time favourite is the Bos Vip’r.

So if you’re looking for the cheapest fix – reduce the air can volume; see how that goes then consider tuning. Both Mojo & Loco have tuned shocks for me and they were both a heap better than ‘off the shelf’.

legend
    Free Member

Can’t remember the exact figure, but I think service + reducer + tune was around £100. Worth every penny from my experience

Gotama
    Free Member

Presuming you are akin to your username….the five is awful with the standard can. The reducer kit should sort out the midstroke as it did with mine when i had it.

With regard to the rebound…..there must be a fault with the shock. Is it making a slurping noise for the first part of the travel? In which case it might be cavitated – also happened to mine and fixed by mojo – which from vague memory meant there wasn’t any rebound damping in the first part of the travel.

If its in warranty send it back to mojo. They kindly sorted the aircan volume out when fixing the cavitation. Next time it went back under warranty they also sorted the rebound tune out to my personal pref for gratis.

If its out of warranty send it to either loco or tf tuned with the latter doing the Push tune. I used tf as they were around at the time and it made a world of difference.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shock blowing through mid stroke conundrum’ is closed to new replies.