Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shock absorbers
  • molgrips
    Free Member

As I start to dismantle the rear suspension on the Passat I notice that the shocks are weeping slightly. Might be a good time to change them.

Euro Car Parts have Sachs, Bilstien and Anschler. How to choose?

finishthat
    Free Member

Sachs – probably OEM Bilstien not likely worth the extra cost
    avoid the “cheapest”
    And its a little bit like tyres – the improvement between knackered/worn out
    and brand new is often quoted as – “very significant” they are much better because… they are working.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bilstien currently £15/ea less on ECP. Are they better? Some suggest they are stiffer.

I want a plush ride as priority, but then again I do tow a caravan so a little stiffness might be good if it isn’t too annoying in normal driving.

The car will definitely be better after I do this because I am replacing the bushings and the old ones are alarmingly compeltely disintegrated.

Sundayjumper

May or not be relevant, but my experience with shocks for my T4:

Cheapie ones “to get by” – rubbish. Barely better than the knackered ones.

Sachs HD later that year – much much much much much better.

Buy cheap, buy twice was absolutely the case.

If you’re towing regularly then some kind of heavy-duty shock might be wise.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well. Maybe 1000 miles out of 10-12,000 will be towing, so mostly will be solo.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bilstien used to be the go-to supplier for OEM+ ‘upgrades’ back in the day. They were gas filled back when most OE shocks back then were oil-filled and genunely improved the ride and handling of most cars, but they weren’t considered ‘after market’ like Spax and such so you didn’t run into insurance problems with them.

I’ve had a few sets, they were always good and lasted a long as I had the car at least.

molgrips
    Free Member

Improve handling how? More or less damping?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shock absorbers’ is closed to new replies.