Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shivering/Cold after road ride but not mtb?
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Anyone else get this? I understand the concept of cycling making your core hot your body turns on the AC to cool you down you suddenly stop but the AC doesn’t turn off right away thus making you feel really cold.

However what I don’t understand is why does this only affect me on the road? For example monday rode 2hours from work on the road, got a bit wet but stayed warm whlist riding. Get home change sit down eat some food and start feeling really really cold. However tonight rode from work 2hours on the MTB got drenched didn’t get cold but could feel it was slightly cooler than monday. Get home take my time changing due to my kit being so muddy etc finally sit down eat some food and don’t feel cold at all if anything quite snug!

Any ideas?

tmb467
    Free Member

Mud is an insulator

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You use your upper body much more on an MTB ride so are generating more heat in the upper body.

oregon29
    Free Member

Higher average speed compared to effort = more evaporative cooling on the road bike

Poggy
    Free Member

100% agree with you oregon29… is why i stick to mtb through winter, makes perfect sense!

jeffm
    Free Member

As Oregon29 says, you’ve got a higher wind chill factor on the bike. Especially when you’re coasting going downhill, you don’t really get that on the MTB as your constantly ‘working’.

tenfoot

Road riding leaves me cold too 😐

argee

I always find on the mountain bike trails it’s never as exposed as road for anywhere near the same period either, and speed is down, so as others have said, the wind isn’t cooling. I also think that if you ride in the woods you tend to get that bit of extra warmth that this type of enclosed environment has, i always find it weird being in woods that are slightly warmer and darker for a while, then going out into the open and feeling the temperature drop 5 degrees, and going from nicely warm to cold in an instant.

hatter

Short answer – Windchill.

Hugely underestimated the cold this morning and only wore a gillet over my jersey, soon I was actually looking forward to the climbs as a chance to warm up.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Cool I think that explains it however I’m not feeling cold during the ride just after. Think the upper body getting a workout explains it more for me tbh.

toby1

If you are anything like the guy I unfortunately was behind briefly yesterday it’s because your road lycra is as thin as a pair of tights and totally sheer!!! So, So Gross, Cinelli, riding through Histon, if this was you then BUY SOME NEW SHORTS you tool!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shivering/Cold after road ride but not mtb?’ is closed to new replies.