Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Arse, what to do?
  • iDave
    Free Member

been offered a job in Brazil.

my kids are here though and i see a lot of them, though they don't live with me

after 4 months i have the ability to come back whenever i want but my 'job' would be there. money is excellent.

what would you do?

LeeW

stilltortoise
    Free Member

is it the Brazil angle or the not-seeing-kids angle you're worried about? Brazil's a big place and not all of it is nice. If you're somewhere nice it will be easier to deal with being away from the little 'uns.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

love the thought of brazil, i'd be in sao paulo first three months, then based in Rio. i've made loads of business trips before, travel is great, other places are great, its the kids angle that bothers me.

Bregante

how old are kids?

sit down with them (and their mother) and discuss it.

my ex had the chance to move to oz some years back, taking my then 11yr old son. after a lot of soul searching I agreed it would be good for him to go. it never worked out in the end and she stayed but mentally I had prepared to let him go.

donks
    Free Member

Any good singletrack in Brazil?

tinsy
    Free Member

Unless your kids are dont do it, you will be missing out more than you gain in my opinion.

Mintman
    Free Member

The first thing you need to do is figure out whether the pilot will attempt to take off on a runway or not; that might just swing it or not for you 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I'd go.

There's the phone/internet for staying in touch – as long as you listen and care about the kids they will know you love them wherever you are in the world. It's not a life sentence, you will be able to change your mind later…..but not if you miss the opportunity in the first place.

nickc

4 months isn't that long

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Go – as little girl bunny says you can remain in touch – buy them a 'puter with a webcam if needed

woody2000

donks – it's my understanding that there's some beautifully trimmed bush in Brazil 🙂

duckman

Anyway Dave; If you don't go your daughter will never speak to you again…."You turned down what opp for holiday?" 😡

trail_rat
    Free Member

id be gone

could be worse

Equitorial guinea for 4 months for me …. no kids but leaving the missus at home

marsdenman
    Free Member

*awaits 'which thong for Rio beach' thread with great trepidation*

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd go for it bit of videoconferencing and a daily catch up and time will fly.

kimbers

i met some brazillian girls while traveling in peru over xmas

id go there in a flash

just set up a regular webcam chat with the kids

wors

Don't think i could be apart from my kid, no matter where the offer was.

toys19
    Free Member

cant be without my sprogs for more than a week, but its all down to choice …

BigJohn

I would buy this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michel-Thomas-Method-Portuguese-Foundation/dp/0340971673

and this.

You'll be back by Christmas,

iDave
    Free Member

ex wife thinks i should go – she knows i have a nomadic gene

i realise that short term it's no big deal, but my job would be in Brazil and being a part time dad isn't ideal for me or the kids. but then i'd be in a good position to help them through uni and later in life

it's things like being around when my daughter was hassled, seeing them after school, biking etc. you can't be a parent via skype.

damn. might do it for a year. damn. no idea.

ski
    Free Member

If you are worried about how your kids will be:

My Dad did the same, took a 6 month well paid job in Brazil when I was 6-7.

Not that I missed or noticed much looking back, remember some of the long distance phone calls, mostly because Mum nagged about the cost!

As mentioned above 4 months is not that long.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I think a lot depends on the age of your children. My mum and us kids moved back from HK to Scotland about 8 years ago. My dad stayed there. We were 14, 12 and 10. Ever since then we have seen our dad about three or four times a year, usually for one/two weeks at a time.

I think it's been a lot harder on my mum than us – we know our dad loves us, and we at least had the whole 'teaching us to swim, ride a bike etc.' stuff already done. I know it has affected our relationship with him but I don't think in any particular negative way (in fact, he could wind me up something chronic, so maybe it's best we have a few thousand miles apart). We appreciate that he's made the choice to earn more money in the short term, provide us with funds to go to good schools, uni etc. and then hopefully enjoy retirement with my mum.

I know it's not how a lot of people on here would choose to live life, but my parents have made their choice and have had the opportunity to change it back if it didn't suit them.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Dude, I'll go in your place if you decide not to!
    Do I need any particular skills? 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

stop pissing about

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I have spent 6 month is Switzerland and that was travelling home at weekends. I is horrible and almost destroyed the strongest loving relationship I have been in (My wife, not my right hand).

I am looking for the first way out.

Talk to the people several times over as much time as you can. Their ideas and opinions will change. Unfortunately the biggest changes will be when you are there (if you go). Skype with a webcam is so much better than telephones BTW.

Woody
    Free Member

Yowzer. Have a good flight iDave 😆

Gh0stRider
    Free Member

Discuss it with the people that matter?

iDave
    Free Member

looks like i can make more money than i ever imagined. divorce left me with no house, no pension and no savings. a year there 'could' rectify that.

but money isn't everything.

yeah, the women are going to be fit. but they are here too – though not in the same quantity.

as far as required skills, it seems like self confidence and gift of the gab are enough.

my kids are 10, 13 and 16 and i like being around for them

will have a few chats with special people over the weekend.

thanks for the input so far.

Dark-Side

LOL @ Terrahawk.

Personally, I would miss my little girl far too much. Skype and a phone call are all well and fine but you can't get a hug or kiss online (I never, ever thought I would such slushy nonsense before becoming a father) but it does sound like a once in a lifetime opportunity, so good luck if you choose that path.

b1galus
    Free Member

i spent 17 years in our forces and was pretty much an absentee father for most of their growing up but in the main i have a great relationship with my kids now . it isn't being apart that is the problem it is what you do when you are with them that matters

iDave
    Free Member

this may not be helping me much, but some of the time i'd be working with the agents for ladies like this 😯

tired thinking, might need a little lie down…….

mrchrispy

gotta be a troll 😉

iDave
    Free Member

it's like a troll only it really isn't

andydicko
    Free Member

Dave,

I worked in the UAE for 5 years (no kids) but missed my Mrs big time, eventually settled in and through good planning could get home about every 6 weeks, do what yout heart/instinct tells you mate, if it doesn't work out come home, what have you lost…… well maybe your current job!!!

All the best.

Andy..

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

No contest for me…… grass is often greener….. but your kids are your kids….do the best you can by them…….for you that mean moving away……earning more money……..or staying home. Make your choice, but put your kids first.

BB

Mintman
    Free Member

I'm armed forces and have had a couple of times when i've been away from my nearest and dearest for months at a time. Yes it's tough but I maintain the hardest job is for those that remain at home. If the people you are leaving behind have the mental "toughness" to cope then do it; 4 months will fly by and you might surprise yourself with the experiences you gain (apart from the financial stuff that you've already alluded to).

iDave
    Free Member

it's not 4 months then back to the uk for good. if it was, no contest. its 3 months in Sao Paulo, back to the uk for a visit, then to a job in Rio which should pay enough to work 2 months, have one month back in UK. the new 'experience' isn't a worry, i love being overseas, seeing new places, pick up languages fairly quickly etc. the issue is purely the kids. but if it means being able to pay for a few medical degrees……. maybe that's the best thing i can do for them right now.
    tchau

Woody
    Free Member

It is a difficult one. If you kids were much younger I wouldn't see a problem but they are all at a potentially difficult age. It's not a long time in the general frame of things and if you can get back on a fairly regular basis (and have them visit?) then it's not too bad.

At least nowadays you can stay in regular touch on t'internet and will still be able to have regular input in their lives.

If it means being financially 'secure' and covering uni costs (it's a bloody fortune, I've just done it) then it may well be more beneficial to them in the long term. As b1galus says, many fathers spend a huge amount of time away and it works out very well.

Good luck

BigJohn

You know this bit already…

If you say yes, then change your mind, you can just pack it in and come back.

If you say no, you can't change your mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Arse, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.