Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • shirts…underarm marks from deodrant..how to stop it??
  • vondally
    Free Member

so come on how do you stop your shirts having deodorant marks, underarm stains???

Been ironing and several shirts have marks under the arm, pretty unsightly and meaning new shirts, and all on the right pit???

so how do you prevent it …so just to make clear

me arm pit hair cut back regularly…shower daily and after gym
    deodorant using spray on, invisible mark stuff left to dry
    all shirts worn for work one day changed when back home then washed

so come on what is going on???

cinnamon_girl

I believe this is a common problem, in my experience. Have you tried changing deodorant to a roll-on, ie Mitcham? Also make sure it’s completely dry before you put on your shirt.

Edit: are you using soap or shower gel? May be worth trying something different?

Just to add that my ex had this problem and he wore shirts every day. I don’t know whether it’s to do with the amount one sweats or a bit of dehydration. Understand perfectly what you’re saying though.

scaredypants

using too much ?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Don’t wear deodorant.

mickmcd
    Free Member

sounds like the arms are the offending item here, cut them off and go ozzie rules style….women may actually also want to smell you dressed in this manner…….or may think your a bum, it could go either way chap

chewkw
    Free Member

Talcum powder?

maccruiskeen

sounds like the arms are the offending item here, cut them off

once you’ve done that you might as well cut the sleeves off too, as you won’t really have much use for them 🙂

DickBarton

The spray type deodrant is to blame (apparently), the stuff that lasts x hundred hours has a lot of extra stuff in it that causes the staining (and other nasty things)…change to a roll on and it should be fine.

stox
    Free Member

Perspirex

stumpy01

I think it’s anti-perspirants that you get this with. Try just a body spray.

richmars

The spray type deodrant is to blame (apparently),

Not sure. I use roll on and still get white marks. I ride to work and shower when I get there, so don’t need it as much, plus air con in the office.

vondally
    Free Member

roll on did the same so changed to spray..Mitcham??? no

limited spray ie quick whoosh allowed to dry as I usually iron shirt in the morning

soap 90% of the time in the shower well rinsed and arm pit hair trimmed back to stubble

Don’t wear deodorant.

For the love of God can you not work out I am a middle aged metrosexual ?????

Deodorant is an essential after growing up in the 70s in the north with at best old spice, brut high karate and denim to mask the human odours!

johndoh
    Free Member

The first response has it – Mitchum. I never get marks now.

cranberry
    Free Member

Mitchum roll on works for me too.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Perspirex changed my life. Just hoping it doesn’t kill me.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t have this problem with Lynx. I primarily wear dark shirts and it would definitely show on them if I did.

Antiperspirant is evil stuff.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

– Dan: “Hi”
    – Alan: “Are you wearing Lynx?”
    – Dan: “Well smelt! Voodoo!”
    – Alan: “Java”

mikemorini
    Free Member

You trim your armpit hair?
    Why

iamroughrider
    Free Member

mitcham roll on is brilliant ( and very very effective) and does not cause this issue. Just make sure it dries fully which may take a few minutes

johnhe

I find the only two options are:

1. Wear a t shirt under the shirt.
    2. Make sure the anti perspiration/deodorant is dry before putting your shirt on. I dry my underarms in the morning with a hair dryer before putting my shirt on – works a treat.

brooess
    Free Member

I dry my underarms in the morning with a hair dryer

You just said that out loud 😀

catschroedinger
    Free Member

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah bodyform ,bodyform for you

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I wonder why some of my antiperspirants say 48 hours on the can yet I still spray it every day. Does anyone skip a day? lol!

Frankers
    Free Member

As above wear a tshirt under shirt

loddrik
    Free Member

Checks in

iolo
    Free Member

Walk around topless with your manly hairy chest oozing testosterone hence not needing deodorant. The added bonus is all women will fall at your feet.

bearnecessities

To get rid of the marks on shirt, liberally spray with white vinegar (about 50p bottle) and rub in a bit before washing. Works brilliantly for that type of stain. It also has a multitude of other uses, as with all vinegars.

I really need a wife.

emsz
    Free Member

Lemon or vinegar for the stain, wear a tee, only wear your Shirt for one day

hora
    Free Member

OP

The answer is deoderant from Lush the retailer.

sweepy
    Free Member

I use this stuff called odaban, you put it on at night, then shower in the morning. Use it once a week or so. Follow the instructions or it can be uncomfortable.

dpfr

Vinegar, and turn the sleeves inside out before washing

vondally
    Free Member

all shirts worn for work one day changed when back home then washed

from my OP

and turn the sleeves inside out before washing

do that already but good point

lemon and vinegar ..off now to the kitchen

You trim your armpit hair?
    Why

original because
    a) thought long hairs may stop the drying process and hold the roll on the hairs not the skin
    b) actually it is bloody unsightly

I don’t know whether it’s to do with the amount one sweats or a bit of dehydration.

really intresting this as it is usually just my right pit excessively sweating

a) dehydration….got me thinking but usually have 2 to 3 litres of water per day and more often with an elctro lyte

B) exercise or such and I sweat like Zidane…………really should be a tester for base layers, at work not really a identifiable sweaty bloke, apart from one arm pit????

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Can I just point out that all that white shizzle is designed to block up your pores and screw with your sweating system.

My suggestions:

3) Don’t eat stinky processed crap. I don’t mean stop eating curry, just McDonalds etc.

2) Wash armpits with some sort of detergent – ie shower gel or Fairy if you’re cheap/hard like me. This removes all the fat, whereas soap doesn’t – [check the scum on the bath for proof].

3) A variation on this:

4) All the above may be of limited use as everyone’s body is different and what do I know I may be a stinky git 😀

Footnote – Being paranoid about being a bit stinky is natural – place the blame squarely on the genius marketing people who invented the early adverts for ?deodorant?toothpaste? using the strapline “Even your best friend won’t tell you”. Scared the shit outta EVERYONE ever since.

Barstewards.

footflaps

1. Wear a t shirt under the shirt

Try that in Africa with temp in the high 30s and humidity in the 80s! Sweat runs down your back just standing still in a pair of shorts let alone a shirt…

z1ppy

Dunno about in Africa, but here in the UK

johnhe – Member
    1. Wear a t shirt under the shirt.

Another +1, as I can’t stand the idea of sweaty pits being on display at work

TooTall
    Free Member

Change deodorant. Try a roll on (any brand), then try another one if that fails to work. Spray on never worked for me.
    Spot treat your shirt pits before washing as mentioned. Perhaps try a different wash cycle (warmer, cooler) or a different detergent.

Prize awarded to gofasterstripes for the anti-Golden Arches mention on a thread about sweating. Truly middle class angst there.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Have you not noticed that the people who smell of fast food are the people who eat fast food all the time?

What do you think happens to the things in the fast food that you can smell when you ingest them?

Clobber
    Free Member

I keep one of those water spray bottles with diluted washing liquid in it by the wash bin.

Quick spray on the pits (of the shirt) before it goes in the wash bin, soaks in nicely before the wash and clears everything away that normally gets missed in the wash.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just to clarify – I’m not saying eating McD’s will make you smell, but surely the problem is: I am using deodorant because I am afraid of smelling bad. The deodorant is staining my shirts – how do I prevent this.

Now, the way I look at it, you could, if you want to reduce these marks, do it by using less deodorant, or switching to a less powerful type with less smell-absorbing white powder. You could also help prevent smells coming out of you by eating less smelly food.

In my experience with people who I can smell, many of them smell of greasy meaty food, often a bit like hamburgers.

I have also noticed a strong correlation between people who I know* have an unhealthy diet [majoring in pre prepared or processed food] and those persons that smell quite a bit like that food.

As a rational person, I understand that in many cases this is not the case, most people who eat processed food do not immediately smell like a branch of their favorite eatery, but – in an effort to answer the OP’s question I mention this as a possible answer.

YMMV

*As I eat a [annoyingly, expensive] diet based largely on freshly-cooked veg and unprocessed food and devoid of meat save the occasional fish-dish I take quite an interest in what other people eat. No, I don’t tell them what to eat, before you ask.

All this is in an effort to help the OP with his Q 🙂

Footnote – My Girlfriend suggests 100% cotton shirts, as you will then sweat less, requiring less armpit spray.

Other footnote – I find it interesting that you choose to make assumptions about my class, interest in the concept of “class”, or membership of class I may or may not have been born into and may or may not choose to identify-with all based on my liking for fresh, unprocessed food.

Perhaps you would find this book

written by a [late] friend of my father, interesting.

vondally
    Free Member

bought Mitchum

as a veggie of 20 years plus cannot blame processed food………..

off to sink to see how the shirts will far with lemon juice first ..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘shirts…underarm marks from deodrant..how to stop it??’ is closed to new replies.